Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a Roberts radio and a copy of The Double Dangerous Book for Boys - Thread 2 *NOW CLOSED*

(93 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 06-Dec-19 13:43:00

To celebrate the release of The Double Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn Iggulden, we've teamed up with HarperCollins to offer one lucky gransnetter the chance to win a Roberts Revival radio worth £159.99 and a copy of the book.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 11th December.

To enter simply tell us... What childhood game, project or activity do you look back on most fondly?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

Ayla Tue 10-Dec-19 21:55:12

I loved playing hide and seek in the field near our house.My best hiding spot was a massive Bush that had grown in a hollow and I could hide at the base

NotAnotherDay Tue 10-Dec-19 22:03:45

I always loved having a craft project on the go!

cherylann2461 Tue 10-Dec-19 22:05:06

Leap frog and kiss chase!

motherofcats Tue 10-Dec-19 22:12:49

I remember playing marbles on the drains at school, not very hygienic when I think of it now! I wasn't very good at it but I loved the colours of the marbles.

leanfun Tue 10-Dec-19 22:14:29

Hopscotch used to love playing that.

TONKATOL Tue 10-Dec-19 22:19:26

I used to love escaping for the day during the school holidays. There was none of this going round to a friend's house, we would all meet in the cul-de-sac with our bikes and plan our adventures for the day. We often used to cycle down the lane (about 3 miles) and then cut through farmland to reach some woods, where we would "search for evidence" or "hunt the killer" , depending on whatever imaginery game we were playing at that particular time. It was so much fun and we would only return home for meals.

tiddles86 Tue 10-Dec-19 22:20:23

Fuzzy Felts!

Esskay Tue 10-Dec-19 22:26:10

I once made a 'computer' from a cardboard box after watching a 'make' that I'd seen on Blue Peter. It involved punch cards and knitting needles - I can't for the life of me remember how I made it, but if you asked it questions the correct answer fell out of the bottom of the box! I was so impressed, and so were my friends - simple times! smile

boxfords Tue 10-Dec-19 23:21:00

Making mud castles with my nan!

Angel17 Wed 11-Dec-19 00:01:01

We used to play all kinds of board games and card games, but I remember long games of Monopoly, played on a Sunday afternoon, with the whole family taking part and being delighted on the odd occasion when I won

Saz012 Wed 11-Dec-19 00:11:06

Playing with my pram in the garden, looking after my dolls as though they were real children. I had a gorgeous pram for Christmas one year and more than made use of it!

karenteulon Wed 11-Dec-19 00:35:54

Draughts! We used to go to my Nan's flat and play it with her regularly. We could play for hours!

goglyeyes Wed 11-Dec-19 00:36:38

I loved riding my bike! I couldn't go far because I lived in a city, but I felt like I was flying down the street on those wheels!

reaper101 Wed 11-Dec-19 00:42:04

I used to collect butterflies and ladybirds from a nearby field that had lots of wild flowers. Hard to find areas like that now, sadly

quizqueen Wed 11-Dec-19 00:43:14

My dad taught me to add and multiply by playing cribbage, card games and dominoes ( 1950s). I was also a bit of a tomboy and liked playing cowboys and Indians. I had a cowgirl outfit. We went to the cinema a lot and my dad was a big fan of westerns.

Bonnie5 Wed 11-Dec-19 01:12:32

We all enjoyed monopoly as a family

sue55 Wed 11-Dec-19 02:21:13

We would go out for the whole day and walk miles with our fishing net and jam jars to the river, catch tiddlers, climb trees build dens then walk all the way home, filthy but happy, no watches but always in time for tea!

Craigfrombrum Wed 11-Dec-19 03:37:01

I look back on playing game of Life game most fondly

Chrisfrombrum Wed 11-Dec-19 03:38:00

I look back on playing Monopoly game most fondly

Littleham1 Wed 11-Dec-19 05:46:34

I loved playing marbles (using drain covers in the playground)

Martha644 Wed 11-Dec-19 05:48:04

Kirby and my roller skates

zoeypma Wed 11-Dec-19 06:00:47

Monopoly, used to play with my mum, dad and sister most weeks and game could go on for hours so we used to often leave the board where it was for several days. It was nice spending time with family

Neasypeasy Wed 11-Dec-19 06:46:05

Making potions out of anything and everything!

Bellroyd Wed 11-Dec-19 06:51:34

Life was much simpler then, as was everything around us. My favourite game was a very small wooden train set with a circular track, an engine, a coal wagon and a carriage. It was clockwork and did 10 full circuits before it gave up the ghost.

Some days it feels as if I have done 9 of those circuits myself.

susan65 Wed 11-Dec-19 06:53:57

Whip & top. Loved chalking the top with different colours and fascinated with these colours when spinning.