Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £100 Amazon voucher, a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter and a bundle of her best selling books worth £55

(683 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Apr-21 10:06:59

To celebrate the release of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter, we've teamed up with HarperCollins to offer one lucky Gransnetter the chance to win a £100 Amazon voucher and a set of 5 bestselling Karin Slaughter books, including her latest paperback, The Silent Wife, and an early proof copy of her new book, False Witness – not out until June!

The bundle includes:
- The Silent Wife (RRP £8.99)
- False Witness (exclusive early proof copy) (RRP £20.00)
- The Good Daughter (RRP £8.99)
- Pieces of Her (RRP £8.99)
- The Last Widow (RRP £8.99)

4 runners up will each receive a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter.

To enter simply tell us... What is your favourite crime/thriller book and what do you love about reading thrillers? We will be picking a winner after 11am on 13th May.

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already. And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox…

You can find out more about The Silent Wife here:

Looking for your next page-turner? Make Karin Slaughter’s latest thriller, The Silent Wife, your new read. This No.1 Sunday Times crime thriller is full of twists and turns, with characters you’ll root for and an emotional punch that will leave you reeling. If you haven’t read Karin Slaughter before, now is the time!

He watches.
A woman runs alone in the woods. She convinces herself she has no reason to be afraid, but she’s wrong. A predator is stalking the women of Grant County. He lingers in the shadows, until the time is just right to snatch his victim.

He waits.
A decade later, the case has been closed. The killer is behind bars. But then another young woman is brutally attacked and left for dead, and the MO is identical.

He takes.
Although the original trail has gone cold – memories have faded, witnesses have disappeared – agent Will Trent and forensic pathologist Sara Linton must re-open the cold case. But the clock is ticking, and the killer is determined to find his perfect silent wife….

Competition T&Cs apply - find them here

PP1234 Tue 04-May-21 21:49:59

I love a good thriller as I love working out (although I'm normally wrong!) the ending. I love Karin Slaughter books, however, my favourite thriller book would be Trust In Me by Sophie McKenzie.

Smithsurvey Tue 04-May-21 22:36:04

I have always loved Agatha Christie, whether it's Poirot, Miss Marple or another, she always keeps you guessing to the end.

Lynne0926 Tue 04-May-21 22:44:03

It has to be Ladykiller by Martina Cole, It was so gruesome and horrific it had me hooked, it was so disgusting it was absolutely brilliant. I've read all her books since but I'll never ever forget that book!

wallers5 Wed 05-May-21 06:51:24

I love thrillers because they keep you hooked. you want to know who done it! I was hooked by The Poison Garden. I used to like Agatha Christie but perhaps a bit dated now.

Sneakypete1944 Wed 05-May-21 09:48:12

A book I would recommend reading is I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. It has everything I want from a terrific thriller and you have to keep turning to the next page as the excitement builds. I hope his next book is as good.

stormhorse Wed 05-May-21 11:22:03

i cant really say which is my favourite as ive quite a few like peter james, linwood barclay lisa gardner.

i reall enjoy thrillers as they make you think.

daisybeebee Wed 05-May-21 12:29:30

I’m an avid crime fiction fan and have so many favourite authors it’s so hard to choose. One of my all time favourite authors is James Lee Burke, the Robicheaux series is not only a terrific crime series but is some of the best writing I have ever read. My favourite book is ‘ Black Cherry Blues’ one of the earlier books in the series.

valseal Wed 05-May-21 13:54:24

Peyton Edgar's Performance by MJT Seal is a lighthearted crime thriller which I love.

soniabernadette60 Wed 05-May-21 15:28:08

Murder on the Orient Express

EmBoPrice Wed 05-May-21 16:55:00

Love so many crime thrillers. Love the Bosch books by Michael Connelly. He's the perfect moody cop who gets the job done.

suewilly Wed 05-May-21 20:23:42

I love reading thrillers and my favourite author is Nora Roberts, who also writes as J D Robb. I couldn't choose one individual J D Robb book because I love the whole 'in death' series. I really enjoy these books because even though they always contain quite gory murders, the recurring characters are really strong. I enjoy series of books because the author doesn't have to spend time outlining the characters, they can dive straight into the story.

chrissie13 Wed 05-May-21 22:47:29

It's a hard question, I have a lot of favourite crime books, probably the books by Michael Connelly would be my choice, perhaps The Poet. I love trying to work out 'whodunnit'.

Countryfan Thu 06-May-21 02:40:36

So many! My favourite is The Snowman by Jo Nesbo which is chilling and memorable.

Hubbers Thu 06-May-21 10:43:29

Gosh, so hard to choose just one as I've read so many! I think the attraction is the journey you are taken on, often to unfamiliar places, following characters you have invested in because the author has made you care. It's living vicariously and using your brain to work things out and trying to predict the outcome. One novel I enjoyed very much at the time was Michael Connolly's Void Moon.

Seakay Thu 06-May-21 13:06:04

I love the drama, the whodunnit element, the 'will they find out?' element, the characters, the plotting.
I've so many favourites, and constantly discovering new ones. My most recent discovery was The Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz, which has a really unusual construction, but then I'm also looking forward to reading the next in a Val McDermid series which I've just discovered. Then again I listened to an interview with Elly Griffiths so now i want to read more of her books (I love spotting the Suffolk locations) and for amusement alongside mystery i don't think you can beat Simon Brett. So many books, so little time!

kasgrant Thu 06-May-21 14:08:29

Beneath The Skin by Nicci French
I love thrillers as they can be the most gripping reads. You feel like you have the role of detective and they can be very exciting to read.

hutchy73 Thu 06-May-21 18:18:03

Trust your eyes by Linwood Barclay but so many good thriller / crime authors out there . Clare Mackintosh I let you go was brilliant too . Love Peter James , Tess Gerritsen and MW Craven too

Inaka Thu 06-May-21 22:23:35

I love a good crime/thriller and there are so many to choose from but I'd have to go with 'And then there where none' by Agatha Christie. Can you get much better than the queen of crime? I love trying to guess whats going to happen nect and always getting it completely wrong

EileenS Thu 06-May-21 23:14:41

Love Agatha Christie especially Miss Marple

Cat325 Fri 07-May-21 05:24:52

My favourite thriller is Unhallowed Ground by Gillian White. I like the suspense in thrillers.

conkers Fri 07-May-21 10:40:03

The Thursday Murder Club. Richard Osman

moggie57 Fri 07-May-21 12:49:32

i like kathy ellis . i like the wesley peterson thrillers . its warm comforting/humerous mysteries .i always look for her books in charity shops ..

Shreddie Fri 07-May-21 12:58:55

James Patterson's character Alex Cross is a favourite of mine. Along Came A Spider is the first in the series and such a good psychological thriller. I love thrillers for the voyeuristic aspect where you are privy to what is going on but from a safe place. Its exciting to read about the chase to catch a killer before any more despicable acts are perpetrated.

Jinty64 Fri 07-May-21 13:03:18

I like Ian Rankine’s books. They are based in and around Edinburgh, which I know quite well. I feel more involved in the plot. Knots and Crosses was particularly good.

Fuzzbox9 Fri 07-May-21 15:26:46

I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes because it is simply unputdownable. Gripping from start to finish and I'm having great difficulty finding a comparable book to read.