Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £100 Amazon voucher, a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter and a bundle of her best selling books worth £55

(683 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Apr-21 10:06:59

To celebrate the release of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter, we've teamed up with HarperCollins to offer one lucky Gransnetter the chance to win a £100 Amazon voucher and a set of 5 bestselling Karin Slaughter books, including her latest paperback, The Silent Wife, and an early proof copy of her new book, False Witness – not out until June!

The bundle includes:
- The Silent Wife (RRP £8.99)
- False Witness (exclusive early proof copy) (RRP £20.00)
- The Good Daughter (RRP £8.99)
- Pieces of Her (RRP £8.99)
- The Last Widow (RRP £8.99)

4 runners up will each receive a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter.

To enter simply tell us... What is your favourite crime/thriller book and what do you love about reading thrillers? We will be picking a winner after 11am on 13th May.

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already. And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox…

You can find out more about The Silent Wife here:

Looking for your next page-turner? Make Karin Slaughter’s latest thriller, The Silent Wife, your new read. This No.1 Sunday Times crime thriller is full of twists and turns, with characters you’ll root for and an emotional punch that will leave you reeling. If you haven’t read Karin Slaughter before, now is the time!

He watches.
A woman runs alone in the woods. She convinces herself she has no reason to be afraid, but she’s wrong. A predator is stalking the women of Grant County. He lingers in the shadows, until the time is just right to snatch his victim.

He waits.
A decade later, the case has been closed. The killer is behind bars. But then another young woman is brutally attacked and left for dead, and the MO is identical.

He takes.
Although the original trail has gone cold – memories have faded, witnesses have disappeared – agent Will Trent and forensic pathologist Sara Linton must re-open the cold case. But the clock is ticking, and the killer is determined to find his perfect silent wife….

Competition T&Cs apply - find them here

happysouls Fri 16-Apr-21 08:28:09

What I like about thrillers is that they generally grab your attention from the start and hold it. You switch off from the world and can concentrate on your reading. Sometimes I find that hard when there are so many distractions.
I have so many of them it would be hard to pick a favourite! I like the variety of Tess Gerritsen's books a lot.

SueBea Fri 16-Apr-21 08:40:02

Anything by Martina Cole

lizd31 Fri 16-Apr-21 08:57:45

My favourite thriller is Dan brown The Da Vinci Code. Thrillers are my favourite novels as well as movies as I love to try to work out whodunnit.

Wendyp Fri 16-Apr-21 09:01:27

I love anything by Martina Cole. I have read all her books now and am looking for an equally good author to keep me captivated!

bruce1959 Fri 16-Apr-21 09:06:44

I like all books that pull you into the plot. I particularly like books that are set in locations I know. It makes them more relatable. Hence I choose Ian Rankin 's Rebus series as my favourites.

renaplumridge Fri 16-Apr-21 09:09:23

I love Linda La plant the reads are so gripping, good that she has turn some into tv shows so the masses who don’t read get to enjoy the suspense.

mollymockford Fri 16-Apr-21 09:21:35

I think my favourite is probably "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" - it is one that I have re-read several times. The best ones, of course, are those where you pick up more crumbs each time you read them.

isis53 Fri 16-Apr-21 09:29:49

Love Agatha christie she really has you thinking till the last page. My favourite is murder on the orient express

scrapgran Fri 16-Apr-21 09:37:42

Love reading Elly Griffiths books because she has a fantastic array of characters and it is so evocative of the Norfolk landscape

Maria59 Fri 16-Apr-21 09:58:43

I love all Patricia Cornwell books especially the Scarpetta series my favourite is the body farm.

SMDXXX Fri 16-Apr-21 10:11:35

Love the old Raymond Chandler books and a good thriller keeps you guessing all the way through.

JessK Fri 16-Apr-21 10:12:14

My choice would be The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris. It's a psychological thriller with the ultimate of villains, Hannibal Lecter, pitting his wits against the FBI agent Clarice Starling. It certainly takes you away from a day to day comfortable world into the deep recesses of the mind of a serial killer.
Thrillers for me take me away from the day to day and help me test my brain working out what will happen next with a few frights on the way.

MooCoo Fri 16-Apr-21 10:13:43

I adore thrillers - I love the twists and turns and the unexpected. I love the anticipation of turning a page and not knowing what comes next. There's nothing I like more than curling up in bed with a fast paced thriller - preferably a psychological one.

I loved "The Girl on the Train." by Paula Hawkins - it came a close second to "Before I Go To Sleep" by SJ Watson but my all time favourite - the one I read again and again is "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. You might have seen the film and enjoyed it but the book is so, so much better. It's one of the few books that had me saying "I didn't see THAT coming" at the end. Every time I read it I find something new - a little clue that should have led me to the correct conclusion the first time I read it - it's fantastic and well worth reading.

Loving this thread - have found several good recommendations that have me drooling already!

wolfietq2 Fri 16-Apr-21 10:22:09

I love the detective Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly. All of his books are written to a really high standard and are exciting. They definitely help you escape lockdown and travel to the gritty side of Los Angeles.

mrshumphreyjr1 Fri 16-Apr-21 10:32:23

Love Henning Mankell's Wallander books

ddraig123 Fri 16-Apr-21 10:45:47

The last crime one that I read was The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. Not a book that I would normally have picked, but lent to me by my niece and I enjoyed it. I like to try to work out 'who done it' as early as possible from all the clues!

obag Fri 16-Apr-21 10:47:48

I love Cara Hunter's book, Close to Home is my favourite.
I enjoy the unpredictability and tension.

Mapleleaf Fri 16-Apr-21 10:49:35

I like a wide variety of thrillers, by various authors, so it is difficult to name a favourite, but I do especially enjoy the books by Patricia Cornwall.

I love the build up and the anticipation and trying to work out what will happen next when reading this genre.

creativeness Fri 16-Apr-21 10:50:47

The thriller I enjoyed recently was Little Face by Sophie Hannah excellent read with twists & turns to keep you enthralled & entertained . Would recommend as a whodunnit!

emperorsin Fri 16-Apr-21 11:00:57

The Journeyman Tailor by Gerald Seymour, I love reading Thrillers to lose myself in other times and places and forget all the troubles and pain in the real world for a while.

Tattooedfidelma Fri 16-Apr-21 11:04:21

You can’t beat a really well written police crime thriller with a great twist at the end. I love Lin Anderson, Kate Ellis, Peter Robinson but there are so many fabulous authors. Just finished the latest Robert Galbraith’s Cormoron Strike novel. Absolutely gripping!! When you have been reading particularly authors for a while you start to care about the characters, you are excited to see what’s going to happen next and I have an image of them in my head. Real escapism.

KarenBaines Fri 16-Apr-21 11:05:00

got hooked years ago on Jack Reacher by Lee Childs... a great writer who endears you to his character and then makes you wanna know more... some great story lines with lots of twists and turns... always gripping edge of the seat stories that always see our boy triumphant... if not read any well worth a read

gd Fri 16-Apr-21 11:06:27

I love the Jack Reacher books because the stories are so good.

janeyf Fri 16-Apr-21 11:08:27

I'd pick The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen because it was the first memorable thriller I read and was gripped throughout. I've been reading thrillers ever since because I get so engrossed in the plot

john1953 Fri 16-Apr-21 11:10:40

I have just read an old fashioned thriller by Dennis Wheatley
The Eunuch of Stamboul ,a very god read that keeps you on the edge ,The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler is another excellent read ,old books but a lot better than some of the new ones ,give them a try.