Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £100 Amazon voucher, a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter and a bundle of her best selling books worth £55

(683 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Apr-21 10:06:59

To celebrate the release of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter, we've teamed up with HarperCollins to offer one lucky Gransnetter the chance to win a £100 Amazon voucher and a set of 5 bestselling Karin Slaughter books, including her latest paperback, The Silent Wife, and an early proof copy of her new book, False Witness – not out until June!

The bundle includes:
- The Silent Wife (RRP £8.99)
- False Witness (exclusive early proof copy) (RRP £20.00)
- The Good Daughter (RRP £8.99)
- Pieces of Her (RRP £8.99)
- The Last Widow (RRP £8.99)

4 runners up will each receive a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter.

To enter simply tell us... What is your favourite crime/thriller book and what do you love about reading thrillers? We will be picking a winner after 11am on 13th May.

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already. And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox…

You can find out more about The Silent Wife here:

Looking for your next page-turner? Make Karin Slaughter’s latest thriller, The Silent Wife, your new read. This No.1 Sunday Times crime thriller is full of twists and turns, with characters you’ll root for and an emotional punch that will leave you reeling. If you haven’t read Karin Slaughter before, now is the time!

He watches.
A woman runs alone in the woods. She convinces herself she has no reason to be afraid, but she’s wrong. A predator is stalking the women of Grant County. He lingers in the shadows, until the time is just right to snatch his victim.

He waits.
A decade later, the case has been closed. The killer is behind bars. But then another young woman is brutally attacked and left for dead, and the MO is identical.

He takes.
Although the original trail has gone cold – memories have faded, witnesses have disappeared – agent Will Trent and forensic pathologist Sara Linton must re-open the cold case. But the clock is ticking, and the killer is determined to find his perfect silent wife….

Competition T&Cs apply - find them here

GeminiJen Thu 15-Apr-21 19:53:36

Another big fan of Val McDermid here. I especially loved her Tony Hill/Carol Jordan novels. These must be two of the most iconic characters in crime fiction. I've been gripped by the way their relationship has developed and the many twists and turns through all ten of the books in this series, from The Mermaids Singing through to Insidious Intent. McDermid truly is the queen of psychological thrillers; her plots dark, expert, beautifully crafted.

choughdancer Thu 15-Apr-21 20:08:54

The book I would choose as my favourite crime/thriller is My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier. Even the end of it leaves you still undecided on whether Rachel was guilty or not.
I find the films made of it a bit superficial, with the book creating a far more intricate story seen through Philip's eyes.

Harris27 Thu 15-Apr-21 20:16:16

Love an Agatha Christie I’m more of a. Whodunnit fan. I quite like an Agatha raisin book too.

dahville Thu 15-Apr-21 20:28:28

I love Kelley Armstrong. My favourite series she did is the Cainsville, which had a mystery in each novel, supernatural elements throughout, and a satisfying romance that wound it’s way throughout.

I also like her Rockton series which is set in the Canadian Yukon.

I like trying to figure out whodunnit and love when there is a good twist.

Horatia Thu 15-Apr-21 20:56:38

Loved the Catch T M Logan, my daughter and granddaughter enjoyed it too. A great read I couldn't put it down from start to finish.

simontink Thu 15-Apr-21 21:22:46

Girl on the train by Paula Hawkins was good and I think I read it in a day. I love a thriller that totally absorbs you into the characters and storyline and even better when I can't work out the ending before the last chapter

Carado Thu 15-Apr-21 21:52:56

I love C J Sansom's Tudor thrillers, with Shardlake the lawyer solving mysterious crimes. The first one was probably the best: 'Dissolution'.
I also like the Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffrey Deaver.
Thrillers are great for keeping the reader involved in solving the case, like a literary crossword puzzle.

jpatterson Thu 15-Apr-21 21:54:39

I love the Logan Mcrae series of books by Stuart Macbride as they are set in the area where I live and I can really visualise the scenes. I love reading crime thrillers as I like all the twists and turns in the plot and trying to guess the ending.

silverdragon Thu 15-Apr-21 22:07:22

I love the escapism of thrillers - a world I am so unlikely to get involved with!

So many great thriller titles but the best I've finish recently is Gustaf Skordeman's Geiger. Bit stark in places but it has so many twists and turns you really get carried along.

busterjames Thu 15-Apr-21 22:21:24

I am reading Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter at the moment .

barbaraellen Thu 15-Apr-21 23:30:56

I like reading Val McDermid's crime novels . My favourite is always the one I am currently reading which is Still Life. Fortunately she has written lots of series of books so I have plenty left to read. The characters are always believable .

boo2410 Fri 16-Apr-21 00:13:06

one of my favourite authors and I've read most of the Kay Scarpetta books, they loosely follow on so you get to know the characters.

Lclaytonuk555 Fri 16-Apr-21 06:35:27

Hard to choose but Faye Kellerman is high up on the list. She builds her characters beautifully.

Reading a crime novel gets my brain thinking and trying to read the clues - it’s a more involved kind of reading than, for example, a chick lit.

Redbox Fri 16-Apr-21 06:44:52

Val McDermid hard to beat. Great ability to tell the story while setting the atmosphere. Always hard to put down as the stories draw you in. Lots to choose from but most recently “Still Life”

mumofmadboys Fri 16-Apr-21 06:48:37

I also liked Girl on a train. It starts in such a believable way and then things escalate!

jimlauchlan Fri 16-Apr-21 06:48:48

This is the first in Anne Cleeves Shetland series. Although I love crime novels, I had not read any of this author’s books before, but I am pleased that I finally did get around to it, as this was an excellent book, with interesting characters and a good setting.
I love trying to work things out for myself but I am rarely correct!

PattyFingers Fri 16-Apr-21 06:59:33

I love reading and especially thrillers. My favourite authors are Jo Nesbo, Kathy Reichs, Shari Lapena, Sarah Pinborough & Lisa Jewell. I love following clues throughout the book and trying to work out who is dangerous ,who is telling the truth, who is lying and of course who did it!

Froglady Fri 16-Apr-21 07:03:04

Anything by Jo Nesbo.
I want to be entertained and kept in suspense by a book; I don't want to be able to guess the outcome.

pamelaJEAN Fri 16-Apr-21 07:18:21

James Patterson - Along came a Spider. I love thrillers, because I love the twists and turns, never know what to expect, I try guessing the plot, but nearly always get it wrong.

AR2127 Fri 16-Apr-21 07:20:27

Black Echo was a brilliant book and well worth a read. It was easy to get immersed into also.

alabaster Fri 16-Apr-21 07:27:18

Anything by C J Sansom. Meandering plots carefully woven into historical fact and reconstruction with a clever but flawed hero. Dissolution was the first book and really captured the turmoil of the time perfectly.

jooli Fri 16-Apr-21 07:47:05

Val McDermid for me, love the 'tartan noir'. I like the suspense and characters.

maryandbuzz1 Fri 16-Apr-21 07:56:55

I am reading The guest list by Lucy Foley at the moment. I enjoy the excitement of thrillers and trying to work out what’s going to happen next. .....and the surprises!

franklintuesday Fri 16-Apr-21 08:22:14

My favourite thriller has to be Black Water Rising by Attica Locke. So chilling and I certainly could not put it down.

falconer Fri 16-Apr-21 08:25:35

I love Edmund Crispin's Golden Age novels, in particular, The Moving Toyshop. I prefer the older novels - and especially short stories - as I prefer the puzzle to the characterisation that drives modern novels.