Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Pandemic panic

(509 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 02-Mar-20 13:18:37

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've heard the corona virus isn't a very pleasant illness but then it's not the worst illness either. Seems to be a fever, aching and a cough. Most people who get it will recover but like all illnesses a few won't.

So why the panic? I vaguely remember the Hong Kong flu....mainly because my mam got it and my Grandma came to look after her and us. Mam must have been really ill to ask my Grandma for help. I remember she was in bed for what felt like ages but was probably only a few days. I don't remember mass panic, schools closing etc. I wasn't very old at the time and my memory isn't as good as others. Was there a panic? Did the nation go into shutdown?

gillybob Thu 19-Mar-20 14:28:02

If there is I can't find one Calli The little centre was a lifeline for some of these people but they closed it on Tuesday . I rang the SS earlier today who told me they would try and get information out ASAP . Its not good enough.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 14:30:18

If the people were living locally it's a pity they couldn't cook and deliver a meal to them, knock and leave it on the doorstep.

maddyone Thu 19-Mar-20 14:36:21

Callistemon
Yes, blinkered I think, and stubborn. Both of them. We’ve had a further conversation on the phone today because earlier my sister asked me what she should do. She’s sleeping on the settee at Mum’s, aged 70. We advised go home as soon as possible to your own home and then self isolate. Our adult children will pick stuff up for Mum. Mum was adamant on the phone, sister is staying till at least next week! Sister has clearly been influenced by Mum. How selfish is that, my mum will put her own daughter at risk because my mum wants to see her.

gillybob Thu 19-Mar-20 14:40:47

It is a little "estate" on its own Calli . A Close of around 40 bungalows. I am trying to help a few of my dads immediate neighbours where I can .

maddyone Thu 19-Mar-20 14:56:52

I think you’re being very kind gilly and you are an inspiration. Thank you.

NfkDumpling Thu 19-Mar-20 18:04:22

Is there a ‘Next door’ on-line group near your dad Gilly? The one here has had several people offering to do shopping and drop it off outside doors.

Our local independent supermarket too will take phone call orders and deliver them free to about a mile radius while the emergency is on.

Fennel Thu 19-Mar-20 19:32:50

Could this group help you and your father , Gilly?
Nextdoor Digest <[email protected]>

Fennel Thu 19-Mar-20 19:36:17

ps this is the website. for N&S Tyneside.