Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Still impressed by BJ?

(239 Posts)
Greymar Thu 12-Mar-20 15:23:09

There were no strategies for protecting the vulnerable and there had been a failure to engage the public. “We have a superficial prime minister who has got no grasp of public health,” Ashton said. “Our lot are behaving like 19th-century colonialists playing a five-day game of cricket.

From John Ashton.

POGS Sat 14-Mar-20 12:43:46

www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/14/coronavirus-in-russia-the-latest-news-march-13-a69117

Does Russia have as much travel and tourism as the rest of Europe, probably not but I have not a clue.

varian Sat 14-Mar-20 12:51:21

Police will be able to detain infected people and schools could be forced to stay open under a package of powers being announced next week to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.

Emergency laws to help to limit the spread of the virus will be introduced after the number of people infected in Britain rose by 200 in 24 hours to 798. The measures, seen by The Times, will also let councils lower standards in care homes to deal with staff shortages.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-emergency-laws-police-get-powers-to-detain-victims-b65fp7fvm?wgu=270525_54264_15841901360695_7a0f77f969&wgexpiry=1591966136&utm_source=planit&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=22278

SirChenjin Sat 14-Mar-20 12:54:02

I’d like to see what those measures look like in reality - they can’t force schools to stay open if teachers, pupils and support staff are ill in such numbers that it’s impossible for them to stay open.

Dinahmo Sat 14-Mar-20 12:56:46

Chestnut -Is the UK the only country to have dense populations in small areas? So the other European countries don't have large cities with large populations?

GracesGranMK3 Sat 14-Mar-20 14:02:52

Of course, different experts have different opinions. For a start, they are dealing with different cultures and different progress of the virus through the populations. Even within the groups'of experts, they will each be coming from own area of knowledge. However, scientists of all sorts are usually happy to share knowledge as they are doing universally in a hope to find medicines and/or a vaccine.

Anyone coming on here to carry out the usual sniping really doesn't deserve a reply, do they? It's rather like selfishly bulk buying - putting yourself first to get a little buzz.

Callistemon Sat 14-Mar-20 14:09:11

I remember the Asian flu epidemic SirChenjin.
My school then stayed open and there were only three of us out of a class of about 40 who stayed well and attended so lessons were really put on hold.

Of course, another girl and I caught it a fortnight or three weeks later when everyone had returned, so missed these lessons and had to try and catch up.

SirChenjin Sat 14-Mar-20 14:17:22

I’m sure they did Callistemon but if there are not enough staff to open or teach the schools or pupils to attend - similar to winter closures - then how are they going to force them to stay open? Threaten to shoot the HT in the staff car park?!

I need more detail before I can understand what they’re planning to do.

Callistemon Sat 14-Mar-20 14:32:48

I suppose if pupil numbers are down and also staff numbers, they could keep them open using available staff.

A bit drastic, shooting the HT grin

Callistemon Sat 14-Mar-20 14:33:40

Will anyone who decides to keep their child at home just in case when the school remains open have to pay the statutory fines?

Just a thought.

lemongrove Sat 14-Mar-20 14:39:26

Rory Stewart and Jeremy Hunt are not experts though ilovecheese and it would be better for them to pipe down.

OurKid1 Sat 14-Mar-20 14:44:10

I'm not normally a BJ fan, but I was quite impressed with his performance with the two experts. Rational and reasonable were the two words which came to mind.

paddyanne Sat 14-Mar-20 14:51:30

is it "rational" to think he can let the virus rampage through the population and expect herd imunity ...and up to 400.000 deaths? I would prefer someone who would help SAVE lives by putting stringent measures in place NOW not tomorrow not next week .

merlotgran Sat 14-Mar-20 15:02:19

DD2 teaches at a large school in Wembley. She says they are all set up for the school to close and anticipate it will be next Friday.

FlyingSolo Sat 14-Mar-20 15:03:17

Paddyanne, are we even certain that would give us herd immunity? I don't think we know if a person can get reinfected.

Callistermon, I think it is one thing saying schools should stay open but quite another for them to insist children attend. I think they should suspend fines and let each parent decide based on whether their child has underlying health conditions and whether someone living in their house does. As far as I know though people still have to send their child to school

Hetty58 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:07:03

I think people would have a very good case of appeal against any fines imposed. The safety of family members would be a solid reason to keep a child at home.

dahlia Sat 14-Mar-20 15:11:20

I might feel a little better about Boris if he didn't say one thing, and then change the rules within a day. Mind you, his phrase: "and many of you may lose loved ones before their time" did strike a chord, my daughter was on the 'phone to check on us straight away!

Hetty58 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:12:39

Callistemon, I remember the Asian flu and Big Freeze when schools just kept going. The teachers were local and most of us walked there.

Today's situation is totally different. Even light snow means some staff cannot travel (apparently) and schools have to close!

Hetty58 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:15:56

dahlia, both daughters phoned this morning to check if I'm OK. My reply 'I'm fine, not dead yet - so you'll have to wait for your inheritance!'.

Daisymae Sat 14-Mar-20 15:19:09

The government reaction is one thing that worries me most. This is the one time when we really need leadership with integrity that people will trust. I personally don't want anyone in my family to 'take it on the chin' for the government. I feel like the population in general are being thrown under the bus. I always considered that our country demonstrated the way that things should be done.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:25:38

I'm not sure the government is asking anyone to "take it on the chin", not that the population is being thrown under a bus.

One thing does concern me though. Why have they stopped the testing? How can you know what is happening if you are not measuring it?

SirChenjin Sat 14-Mar-20 16:02:08

Exactly flying

Calendargirl Sat 14-Mar-20 16:07:10

The rules change from day to day because the situation changes from day to day. I think Jeremy Hunt has to get his two pennorth in, but he needs to remember he wasn’t that brilliant a Health secretary.

Chestnut Sat 14-Mar-20 16:10:13

The genie is out of the bottle and I think all the children and young adults are going to get the virus. They may as well get on with it and develop 'herd immunity'. The only advice should be for all over 60s and people with health issues to self isolate. Everyone else should just get on with normal life and self isolate if unwell. Otherwise the economy is going to go completely down the pan and that's what looks like happening at the moment.

Jabberwok Sat 14-Mar-20 16:13:40

I too remember Asian flu. I was 14 and at boarding school. As has been said, the school eventually closed down through lack of pupils and staff!! I can remember being in the sick bay for about 2 weeks and then being sent home to convalesce! Everything seemed to go back to normal pretty quickly,but then I suppose from the view point of a child it appeared that way!

Daisymae Sat 14-Mar-20 16:14:57

That was Johnson's actual words 'take it on the chin' in a TV interview not my thoughts.