Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anybody feeling scared?

(303 Posts)
Greymar Sat 14-Mar-20 19:43:31

Please could we make this a snipe free zone.

GabriellaG54 Sun 15-Mar-20 15:18:18

Correction, It'd not It's.

jerseygirl Sun 15-Mar-20 15:36:49

My daughter, son in law & my grandson jack are supposed to be coming to visit from Australia in June but sadly this may not happen now. we haven't seen them for 3 years. Australia has imposed a 14 day quarantine for people returning that will add two weeks to their 3 week holiday. They will be fined $50,000 each if they ignore it.

jerseygirl Sun 15-Mar-20 15:40:11

And i wish these stupid people would stop stockpiling . The've bought out all the toilet rolls, hand sanitizer, paracetomol etc and now the've started on baby wipes. When will they realise this is not necessary!!!

Bakingmad0203 Sun 15-Mar-20 15:50:32

My son has just come back from a holiday in Thailand. There were 3 virus checks in Thailand, 2 in Dubai where he was transiting and none at Manchester airport Why? He said there were flights coming in from all over the world and no one was checked.

MoonB61 Sun 15-Mar-20 16:37:25

I'm a bit scared for my hubby. He's a heart and lung patient with other health problems and I'm quite sure this virus would kill him. The more I hear/read the more I worry. It's getting real now

Lizbethann55 Sun 15-Mar-20 16:43:11

I am not so much scared as really anxious. My DH and I are both the wrong side of 65 and both in good health but we both work and take public transport to get there. My DH on a crowded train and me on decidedly grubby buses. We also both work with the public. Me in a busy library. Most of our book borrowers are over 60 or parents with little children. We also spend a lot of time helping people on computers. This involves standing very very close to them and touching disgusting keyboards. It is weeks since I asked for sanitising stuff for the computers. I am furious that senior management (who work in offices away from the libraries) have given us no help or guidance relating to our actual work. I am going to stick my head right above the parapet and even put my neck on the block, by emailing them tomorrow and telling them exactly what I think! Hopefully they will suspend me for subordination so that I can self isolate!

sylviann Sun 15-Mar-20 17:06:56

No really scared but concerned I've been sorting out my insurance policies

B9exchange Sun 15-Mar-20 17:22:46

Popped into Sainsbury's just now, all I wanted was a bottle of washing up liquid and a roll of clingfilm. Came out without either - completely bare shelves, like something out of a Russian film, what are people doing with it all?

Laughterlines Sun 15-Mar-20 17:28:21

I was a war baby.we had no antibiotics. No central heating. Food and clothes rations. Every night Hitler dropped bombs on us and we had to sleep in a galvanised air raid shelter with 2 other families. We survived. We can beat this - be positive, being scared stresses you out. If you are stressed your immune system is lowered. Think of something nice you want to be at in the future e.g. see yourself enjoying a family Christmas. Do a little drawing of it and keep looking at it. Aim for that. You will be fine. Go shopping and take walk in early morning when there’s nobody about. Keep washing hands. Keep calm and carry on. We are Brits.

Daisydoes Sun 15-Mar-20 17:33:09

I am not scared, but, well, perturbed is the closest I can get.
I never believed we would get to this point, and having been a lifelong dismisser of all things 'potentially harmful', I am taking this much more seriously.
I am fine, DH not so much, with underlying health issues.
Personally, I would crack on as normal. But I have not only DH, but also a very elderly DF to think of.

angie95 Sun 15-Mar-20 17:42:46

I'm just amazed at how people are re acting , I also think that the media isn't helping , they are scaring people

Hellis Sun 15-Mar-20 17:44:52

I'm actually pretty terrified and depressed. I'm 64 with asthma and a current chest infection and live with my son ,34 who has asthma too. He also had lymphoma 14 years ago which has left him with low immunity. He still has to go to work in a hotel until.such time as they decide vulnerable people should stay in. I usually look after my young grandchildren 2or3nights a week but my DD decided it was safer they didn't come over, certainly while the schools are still open and they're so likely to have the infection. Missing them already

grannyactivist Sun 15-Mar-20 17:46:16

Laughterlines it's true that stress lowers the immune system and I like your idea of visualising something nice happening in the future.

One of the men I worked with had been street homeless for a dozen years and couldn't imagine living in a home again. He loved birds and so we bought him a little book about birds and asked him to visualise a bookshelf in his own home that he could keep it on. He's now been living in his own home for four years - and has a bookshelf. smile

NonnaW Sun 15-Mar-20 17:56:19

My husband asked today what will happen to the homeless. I suspect they will be under the radar.

tiredoldwoman Sun 15-Mar-20 17:57:19

I was feeling a bit doom and gloom about things this morning . I've had a lovely ( well sanitised) day out with my teenaged grandson) and after returning him home I drove through a beautiful sunlit rainbow ! It lifted my spirits - nature at it's best .

oldperson Sun 15-Mar-20 18:15:50

Scared - no, angry - yes. I am apparently elderly but have no underlying health issues so why should I shut myself away. I have to go out daily to collect my newspaper, at least once a week to buy food, if there is any left, and I also collect my grandson from school and take him to his ballet lesson. So I will not be stopping in. If 90% of the population will get it in the next four years I'll get it over and done with now

CBBL Sun 15-Mar-20 18:16:36

A bit worried, particularly, if one report about "over 70's being isolated at home for four months" is correct!. Both my husband and I have the aforesaid "underlying conditions" - he has Asthma and Skin Cancer and I am diabetic. We live in a rural area, and our immediate neighbours are similar to us , either over 70 or with health conditions. There is no bus service to our village, though we do have "Call Connect" (a service you request - it's a mini-bus). I rely on hubby to drive us to the Supermarkets, though he can't walk far, and I have very limited vision in one eye only. If we have to stay indoors, there is no one to help. Our relatives are in other parts of the country. I heard that our neighbours, who regularly order in their groceries, were asked by a Tesco delivery driver if they had the virus, and he told them that he'd received instructions NOT to leave the food if the customer did have Covid 19!
I had to use the bus service last year when hubby had an operation - and it was a real struggle. Not only do I struggle to see what we need, I can't carry as much as the normal weekly shop by myself. Taxi's cost at least £10 to the local town and another £10 to return - these are last years prices of course. Definitely getting worried! Not concerned if we DO get the virus - just hope we succumb together (all is in place).

GeorgyGirl Sun 15-Mar-20 18:31:32

Yes definitely feeling scared as it is unprecedented and moving so fast, it really is alarming, but we are keeping calm and keeping a very low profile.

grannyactivist Sun 15-Mar-20 18:32:19

NonnaW the government has not yet got a clear strategy in place to protect homeless people from catching coronavirus and the general advice does not serve the homeless population. Crisis, Homeless Link and other national organisations have been lobbying the government to provide such appropriate guidance, but none has yet been forthcoming.

Whist service providers, like my own homelessness project, are awaiting the special guidance that's being prepared by the Rough Sleeping Advisers at Public Health England we're following the guidance being given by Homeless Link.

varian Sun 15-Mar-20 18:33:17

I am worried about my two best friends. We are all in our seventies and have been friends for 45 years. One currently has a daughter, son in law and three grandchildren living with her. Four of them are working and meeting many people every day and the other child is at school.

My other friend is currently living on her own as her husband is abroad.

I called them both today and told them we had decided to self-isolate. They both though that was completely OTT and said they were intending to carry on as normal. Their normal lives involve numerous contacts every day.

How can I persuade them to take all this much more seriously?

Aepgirl Sun 15-Mar-20 18:39:05

Feeling a little anxious, particularly about self-isolation, but really scared. What will be will be.

silverlining48 Sun 15-Mar-20 18:40:15

I was worrying on Friday and posted on GN, but no one responded or commented which left me feeling ‘ is it only me who is concerned?’. Clearly not judging by the thread.
Yes it is very scary, but I am trying to give myself a talking to and washing my hands a lot and can only hope for the best.
For us all.

Ditzy Sun 15-Mar-20 18:45:26

Can't help being concerned as I think this is much bigger than we were led to believe. As a 76 year old with many underlying health problems, including bronchiectasis and asthma, I expect to be put in the 'no hope' category if the worst happens. My husband has heart problems and my son has type 1 diabetes, which puts them at risk too, which is very worrying.
I've been looking forward to my son's wedding on the 9th May but it looks as if I'll be in quarantine and not able to be there. He and his lovely Fiancee, who's Mum is in her seventies too, have said they won't go ahead without their Mums so I hope that they will be able to re-book it.
This is like being at war, but I hope that, as in wartime, it will eventually bring people together, once they've stopped clearing the supermarket shelves without thinking of others that is! What is it with loo rolls? We can use newspapers cut into pieces as my granny did. Not what we're used to but it will suffice.
I pray that this outbreak is a warning to us all, to be kinder, to think of others, to expect less. We will survive, despite the heartbreak of losing loved ones and be better human beings because of it. Every so often, we need to be reminded of what's really important in this beautiful world.

JuliaM Sun 15-Mar-20 18:51:38

Im not so much scared as angry that this has happened and very little is being done too late. The boarders should have closed much earlier to prevent so many thousands of people traveling internationally with blatent disregard and very selfish reasons for public safety.
People.have been putting things like tourism and their holidays first before any consideration for their own health and the halt of the spread of this awful Virus.

Floradora9 Sun 15-Mar-20 19:32:38

I am just so sad tht we will not be seeing the granchildren at Easter or any time in the forseable future . They are still at the age where whey like to sit and cuddle up and we dare not see them . DS in an office where they have a confirmed virus patient and he was close to him at work so he is in lockdown hundreds of miles from his family . Perhaps that is a good th
ing but he is on his own miles from us .
The holiday I was so looking forward to has been cancelled though we had already decided that we were not going . I wish thewre was something we really wanted and we could blow the money on that but there is really nothing we want .