Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anybody feeling scared?

(303 Posts)
Greymar Sat 14-Mar-20 19:43:31

Please could we make this a snipe free zone.

Greymar Sat 14-Mar-20 21:09:15

Thanks for that.

Greymar Sat 14-Mar-20 21:11:23

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-vaccine-delays-brexit-ema-expensive

Fennel Sat 14-Mar-20 21:12:03

Same as EllanVannin on page 1.
Que sera, sera.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Mar-20 21:12:50

Goodness me Urmstongran, I think that situation of lockdown would unsettle me somewhat. I hope you remain to be okay and that you're able to get flights back alright when you're ready.
I did think about you when I read about Madrid. Look after yourselves and I hope all's well. x

EllanVannin Sat 14-Mar-20 21:16:09

A bit of blackmailing going on there eh, Greymar.

Scentia Sat 14-Mar-20 21:16:57

Greymar
I would think you can go to the local shop for supplies when you need to. To isolate yourself means to keep away from other people if at all possible don’t make unnecessary visits to the shops and don’t accept visitors of any kind.

May7 Sat 14-Mar-20 21:17:48

Well I am concerned for my elderly parents, my pregnant DIL my kids who are commuting daily and working in large offices and schools but I'm trying to do my best. Keeping myself informed of facts not fake news and most importantly trying to keep a sense of perspective and humour. When that goes then I'm definitely in trouble. I cant change anything shit happens and when it does I'll deal with it. Pragmatic yes definitely. Upset at circumstances -yes but can I change it - no so I wont be panic buying or spreading doom and gloom but I will make sure I've planned for 14days isolation with DH and prepared for my family whatever the outcomes. Ill check on my elderly
neighbours and offer to help. But what more can we do as Humans ?stay as safe as you can

paddyanne Sat 14-Mar-20 21:21:19

I'm worried both my OH and my daughter have health problems and this would potentially be the end of them.I worry about them every day as it is ,this is an added stress.

I think sir was a bit unfair about the Holyrood Govmt ,Nicola is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't when she made the announcement before Bojo she was castigated by the press and online when she said she was stopping events over 500 she got it in the neck again. Bojo did a u turn 24 hours later She IS keeping us up to date daily and the SNHS DID increase critical care beds on Friday ,in fact they doubled them .
I would feel better if she was in charge instead of the chief clown and his puppet master in Downing street

craftyone Sat 14-Mar-20 21:21:28

potentially 4 months for over 70s

Greymar Sat 14-Mar-20 21:22:05

Thanks Scentia, Ellen sorry I don't follow.

Greymar Sat 14-Mar-20 21:23:34

Sorry paddyanne, you and your daughter have so much to cope with.

SirChenjin Sat 14-Mar-20 21:30:10

Nope sorry paddy - I know that you’re a massive supporter of NS and hate to hear a bad word about her but I honestly don’t think she’s taken initiative for the devolved areas as quickly as she could have. The 500 people limit is only where emergency services are involved - other gatherings of 500 plus can take place if the organisers want them to. Freeman has only said that critical care beds should double - they haven’t yet, as you can’t simply magic up 100% more critical care nurses of Drs overnight.

My feelings about the idiot in No 10 are well documented and I agree with comments on that front.

NanaandGrampy Sat 14-Mar-20 21:30:25

I wasn’t overly concerned at first but as I read articles about ‘how’ people are dying I have become much more concerned .

We live in a part of the country that only had its first reported case today so we are behind the curve slightly . Our US holiday has now been cancelled and I must say I’m mildly pleased as I feel IF I’m going to be I’ll I want it to be at home.

We both have underlying health issues but we’re staying away from people for as long as it takes and keeping our fingers crossed.

SirChenjin Sat 14-Mar-20 21:31:50

My eldest son has an underlying health condition and I’m trying to downplay his concerns - he’s only 22 and very worried.

SalsaQueen Sat 14-Mar-20 21:37:42

I'm not worried - yet. I'm 60, Asthmatic, but otherwise healthy. I'm still going to work (2 part-time jobs) next week, and I'll still be going to Zumba, the pub, the garden centre and cafe as usual.

Artdecogran Sat 14-Mar-20 21:42:03

Yes I am feeling very scared and depressed about this. I don’t understand how 2 weeks or 4 months of isolation will actually help us avoid the virus. Surely if we keep out of the way of people, won’t it just be postponing getting the infection. Is that what the government wants, to just spread the infection rate over a longer period so that society doesn’t break down all at once?

Greymar Sat 14-Mar-20 21:47:48

Try not to get too depressed Aredeco.

Scentia Sat 14-Mar-20 21:47:54

Artdecogran
I think that is exactly what they are trying to to. If everyone who is going to get it, fell ill at the same time our NHS would indeed, just fall apart under the strain.

Hetty58 Sat 14-Mar-20 21:49:55

My daughter went to the supermarket at 6.30 am today. Usually it's very quiet that early, but she noticed it was full of elderly people.

newnanny Sat 14-Mar-20 21:51:44

My dh came out hospital yesterday. He had brain surgery to remove a tumour. It went well but on release was told he is very vulnerable to infection for 6 weeks, so to take care. We are both also asthmatics so I am worried for dh with this covid19 bug spreading. I have done all I can by stocking up so don't need to shop for a while. I have bleached the bathroom and used disinfectant wipes on door knobs, shower and light switches and all surfaces and steam mopped floor with a little Dettol in water. I am hoping he will want to stay in bed for a couple of days then I have bought him a new box set to keep him entertained. I have told sons they must wash hands the moment they come through door and keep a distance from dh for 2 weeks to give him chance to recouperate.

Greymar Sat 14-Mar-20 21:54:50

poor you nanny, you have enough to cope with without this awful thing.

SirChenjin Sat 14-Mar-20 21:57:39

So many worrying situations on here - I hope you and your families are all OK over the coming weeks thanks

Hetty58 Sat 14-Mar-20 22:09:46

It seems that everyone is far more worried about their loved ones than themselves. A fellow dog walker (retired nurse) said it would be better to catch it now. Later, we won't be getting to a hospital, let alone the ICU or ventilator. Does he know something about 'emergency measures, I wonder?

SirChenjin Sat 14-Mar-20 22:12:44

229 scientists have now written to the Govt to express their concerns at the handling of this outbreak sadwww.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51892402

Doodledog Sat 14-Mar-20 22:14:23

I am worried, yes. I am asthmatic, and my husband is diabetic.

On a day to day basis we are both apparently ok, but I have a friend with family in Italy, and I am very aware that this is not 'just a bad cold', or what people often refer to as 'flu'.

I don't think that either of us would get treatment if it became necessary, and yes, that does make me scared.