Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Are you watching the Prime Minister speaking live on news channels?

(286 Posts)
POGS Mon 16-Mar-20 16:56:33

Simply that.

Are you watching to hear from the most reliable source.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 17-Mar-20 13:20:46

If anyone wants to learn what a social democratic government (such as the one Labour espouses) would look like watch Johnson’s government over the next few months. The will epitomise a labour government.

www.spectator.co.uk/article/boris-must-borrow-from-corbyn-s-playbook-to-prevent-a-coronavirus-crash

A government of national unity makes sense

Grany Tue 17-Mar-20 13:51:58

Well Said Whitewavemark2
Yes Corbyn has the answers he would have instigated Cobra at the beginning not many weeks later as Johnson has. This corona virus is serious not just flu. He pushes this government to get things done and calls the PM a part time PM which he is.
So tickingbird You pays your money and makes your choice, Johnson and Cummings not my choice. You shouldn't make fun of people who have the right idea for the benefit of all people in this country.

Oopsminty Tue 17-Mar-20 13:54:42

Yes Corbyn has the answers

Many thanks, Grany

Best laugh so far

pollyperkins Tue 17-Mar-20 14:07:55

Please
Can we not make unpleasant /rude/abusive comments to each other? We are all in this together. And we can disagree without attacking people personally. I think some comments on here (no names) have been out of order. Again!

trisher Tue 17-Mar-20 14:15:39

BJ didn't invite the Mayor of London to Cobra until yesterday in spite of the fact that the city is weeks ahead of the rest of the country. Imperial College scientists have warned 250,000 more will die unless real restrictions are broughtin now. And I'm expected to beieve in BJ!
www.thestar.co.uk/health/coronavirus-fears-grow-scientists-predict-250000-deaths-uk-2474510

Grany Tue 17-Mar-20 14:24:28

Yes agree trisher Johnson has acted very slow to this virus threat. Other countries have acted far faster. Not the right choice for PM

Grany Tue 17-Mar-20 14:28:15

I think the best laugh Oopsminty is BJ as PM only it's not funny I will say no more as I don't like to get into petty arguments smile

POGS Tue 17-Mar-20 16:14:30

Whitewavemark2 Tue 17-Mar-20 08:46:47

'Don’t forget that Trump is using his muscle to promise untold quantity of money for vaccine manufacturers to sell exclusively to the USA.
--

Really? I posted this on another thread that stated the same.

German company CureVac, working to develop mRNA-based coronavirus vaccine, did not deny being in touch with Trump or the US government, but did reject rumors of an acquisition in a statement issued on Sunday.

The self-described clinical state biopharmaceutical company said:

“…internal efforts are focused on the development of a coronavirus vaccine with the goal to reach, help and to protect people and patients worldwide. As a consequence, the company is in contact with especially CEPI and many other organizations and authorities worldwide, however abstains from commenting on speculations and REJECTS allegations about offers for acquisition of the company or its technology.”
--

edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-2-03-15-20-intl-hnk/h_1eba053730641aca3a3ca9327ad613da

CNN is no friend to Trump.
-----

The story broke in the German paper Die Welt quoting an unidentified German government source.

There is no denying the USA has made offers to Cure Vac but I would think many other countries and firms are doing likewise, that's commerce.

Cure Vac is a privately owned company and in 2015 and 2018 secured financial backing for development projects from its investor the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, working on shots to prevent malaria and influenza.

In the field of so-called mRNA therapeutics, CureVac competes with US biotech firm Moderna and German rival BioNTech, which Pfizer ( UK) has identified as a potential collaboration partner.

So it does not prove or mean as being suggested Trump/USA want the 'vaccine for' exclusive use ', is it twisting the context and facts yet again by the media who have used Die Welt for their information?

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 17-Mar-20 16:16:28

Don’t you think that JC would have taken the advice of the same Medical Professionals as BJ?

trisher Tue 17-Mar-20 16:31:02

But not all the medical professional agree Oopsadaisy3 the scientists at Imperial college certainly don't. Perhaps Corbyn would have listened to them www.itv.com/news/2020-03-17/experts-warn-of-250-000-covid-19-deaths-without-tougher-controls/

Labaik Tue 17-Mar-20 17:12:07

Imperial College are the ones that did an extensive study [in 2018]on what would happen if we had a pandemic. I know who I intend to listen to.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 17-Mar-20 17:26:45

This will worry some of the more hard right amongst us.Me? I think it inevitable.

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/17/uk-prepares-seek-eu-trade-talks-extension-coronavirus-crisis/

Whitewavemark2 Tue 17-Mar-20 17:31:00

And there you have it. Monetary and Fiscal stimulus.

15% of GDP being used to support business.

“Multiplier effect” my goodness they have learned well from Keynes haven’t they?

tickingbird Tue 17-Mar-20 17:38:23

Grany You have absolutely no idea what Corbyn would have done and I know that I, like the vast majority of the country who cast their votes, would not like Corbyn et al to be at the helm during this crisis. I won't say anymore as I find it quite sickening that at this terrible time, you and others have nothing better to do or say than come on here moaning and trying to settle old scores because you lost the vote - both times!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 17-Mar-20 17:48:13

Sunak will be the next Tory leader. I bet my hat on that.

eazybee Tue 17-Mar-20 18:11:39

Sunak will be the next Tory leader. I bet my hat on that.

And???

Tickingbird: well said. Corbyn's inaction went a long way to losing the election for Labour.

trisher Tue 17-Mar-20 18:33:09

Ah distraction discuss the election and Corbyn instead of the terrible hash the man you elected PM is making of things.

MerylStreep Tue 17-Mar-20 19:12:12

Whirewavemk2
Sunak will be the next Tory leader No shit, Sherlock!!

That's probably the only prediction you've ever made that will come true. I predict he will come to power in the 3rd term of a Tory government. It's not exactly rocket science, is it, with no one to stop them.

lemongrove Tue 17-Mar-20 21:09:52

Meryl grin

lemongrove Tue 17-Mar-20 21:15:59

trisher......the thing is, the man that was elected ( by a very big majority) isn’t making a hash of it, although I quite see why you would want to think so.
I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised by all the partisan sniping ,
But I did imagine that with such a health crisis in front of us,
Posters would be grown up about it.In Parliament today everybody but Emily Thornberry took a ‘ we will all pull together’ approach which was really refreshing.

Labaik Tue 17-Mar-20 21:23:19

Is she the one that had to help Raab with his geography again?

lemongrove Tue 17-Mar-20 21:34:27

The one with the multicoloured hair Labaik and a sarcastic expression.Thank goodness she was ruled out of the LP leadership race.

Lucca Wed 18-Mar-20 12:03:05

”I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised by all the partisan sniping ,”

I’ve observed sniping from both sides

trisher Wed 18-Mar-20 12:10:09

Listening to people phoning in on Jeremy Vine I was struck by the very real problems some are facing paying bills and just surviving and if anyone can tell me anything BJ has done to alleviate their fears I would like to hear it. One woman stuck at home, no wages, metered. electricity and gas what will she do when her money runs out? There may be sick pay but it isn't going to give her 50p for her meter is it?

lemongrove Wed 18-Mar-20 12:15:44

Yes, sick pay paid from day one will give 50p for her meter in the event that she really is down to her last 50p.
What does she do normally when off work sick?

Johnson on tv at PMQ ‘s just now talking of help for workers.