Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Not sure what to do about the dentist.

(16 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Tue 17-Mar-20 09:43:27

I am almost 79 and trying to do as much of the right thing as possible. Got two appointments, one with the dentist and one with the hygienist in just over a weeks time. To cancel or not to cancel that is the question. Any views on this might be helpful.

NanaandGrampy Tue 17-Mar-20 09:45:06

We had checkups due yesterday and cancelled ours. For me , mask wearing or not, it seemed foolish to be face to face with someone for 10 mins.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 17-Mar-20 09:48:01

That is what I have been thinking. What did the surgery say? Thank you.

Chestnut Tue 17-Mar-20 09:49:49

Don't go unless you have a problem. A check up and clean are not essential. Raging toothache is another matter!

MiniMoon Tue 17-Mar-20 09:50:42

I've been wondering exactly the same thing. My dental appointment is at the beginning of April. I'm 68 and in good health.
What I've decided to do is telephone a couple of days before the appointment, and talk it over with the receptionist. I can make my way there on foot, or in the car. However I decide to travel, I do not have to be in contact with anyone else. I live on the edge of a very small town and can walk to the Dentist by way of a footpath.
I would ring the practice and see what they have to say, then decide whether or not to keep your appointment.

Chestnut Tue 17-Mar-20 09:54:50

I can recommend a water flosser for cleaning between teeth, which might be especially helpful if we can't see the hygienist.
I found this one very good: Hangsun Water Flosser

Desdemona Tue 17-Mar-20 09:59:38

I suppose we should think of it as has been stated with hospitals, cancelling all "routine" appointments and dealing only with emergencies.

arosebyanyothername Tue 17-Mar-20 10:02:02

We've had an email from my dentist assuring us that they're following 'best practice routine' regards to hand, surface and instrument hygiene and asking anyone who has a cough or temp to stay away along with anyone who has travelled to affected areas abroad.

I have an appointment for a check up in about 6 weeks so will make a decision nearer the time but by then the decision may have been taken out of my hands.

Obviously if you're in pain you should phone and take advice.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 17-Mar-20 10:14:40

Thank you all. Sounds as if ringing the receptionist is a good idea but expect they will say that they are following all correct procedures and I should come. Wondered about delaying it but things are probably going to get worse. Oh! For the good old days when we only had to think about Brexit.

M0nica Tue 17-Mar-20 10:17:40

I went to my dental appointment yesterday as planned. The dentist wears a mask. She doesn't want coronavirus anymore than I do.

Witzend Tue 17-Mar-20 10:21:14

I’ve just booked an appt. since I have a filling with a bit broken off. Not bothering me at the moment except that it feels rough, but....
Was surprised to be given an appt. for tomorrow.

Receptionist did ask whether anybody in the house had a cough or fever, etc.

westendgirl Tue 17-Mar-20 10:21:24

I would go . I went for a check up last week . The dentist and nurse were as usual wearing masks. Better to take your appointment just in case you need work . I had a small filling done and was told any problems come down.

DeeDum Tue 17-Mar-20 10:22:33

I would cancel any non urgent appointments
My daughter works at a dentists & it seems her practice is now on code red to close soon ...

annsixty Tue 17-Mar-20 11:19:35

I have just rung to cancel mine for next Thursday as I expect to be in lockdown.
I know the receptionist very well and she said they really want people to go.
They are asking the sensible questions , taking temperatures on arrival and have hand sanitisers on the desk for use on arriving and leaving.

Marydoll Tue 17-Mar-20 12:01:17

I had two appointments yesterday and had to go, as my RA and medication play havoc with my mouth and it needs to be monitored carefully, as I a serious heart condition.
I'm glad I went, as I was reassured and knew that I might not get another appointment for months.

My temp was taken on arrival and various questions about recent travel and sniffles were asked.
The dentist wore a full mask which covered his head and face and it was a very quick appointment.
The whole surgery had been deep cleaned and sanitiser was available at various points.
All leaflets and magazines had been removed.

Today would have been a different matter, as my GP has banned me from going anywhere!

craftyone Tue 17-Mar-20 12:43:16

I went last friday, they have to have a germ-free environment and my dentist wore a mask and a visor, no danger to me at all. It must be hell to be trapped with a gum/tooth problem when the whole country shuts down. I can do without a haircut but could not do without the care I got on friday