Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

This is not flippant but...

(37 Posts)
craftyone Tue 17-Mar-20 15:44:12

I have a question. I have started isolation because of age and am coping fine. I phoned my hairdresser yesterday to cancel my appointment next week, just a normal cut and blow. She is on her own in a small room and quickly said that she has done everything she can to keep the salon safe. She has 2 children at school. I had to say to keep the appointment open and I would see nearer to the date

So what do I do? I could whizz down on my bike, park in a rack and walk 5 minutes through an old arcade. I am fully prepared not to go, have ordered some wide headbands to hide my scruffy hair and can hack my own fringe. Poor lass, she obviously has rent to pay. I am in a dither, everyone else has been so good eg royal mail man kept his distance and signed for me

I am still thinking its a bit too close that contact between her and me. What would you do?

M0nica Wed 18-Mar-20 08:04:53

....oh and cavaliers had wonderful hair.

BlueSapphire Wed 18-Mar-20 08:09:45

I have an appointment in two weeks and will be cancelling. DD has banned me from going! I will cut my own fringe and just put up with the grey coming through. No-one is going to see me anyway.

growstuff Wed 18-Mar-20 08:14:37

MOnica There are small businesses worried sick and other people losing their jobs. Others are having to adapt to a totally new way of working and finding ways of caring for their families. Some people are falling ill - and others, I'm afraid are dying. There are local groups working their socks off to help the most vulnerable. In the grand scheme of things, an obsession with appearance is very low down on my list of priorities. It's nothing to do with being a Puritan or Cavalier.

Gingster Wed 18-Mar-20 08:20:29

Hear hear MOnica ?

Iam64 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:40:02

I enjoyed MOnica's Puritan or Cavalier comparison. I love the silver hair look on friends but after two years of it on myself, I decided to return to having in coloured. It was done a week ago and will now have to do for months I expect. So, it's silver roots and an over long fringe, plus busy eye brows for me, for the forseeable future.

craftyone Wed 18-Mar-20 10:21:05

It is also about killing time and doing positive things rather than sitting and worrying. Obviously weather dependent but personally I am out and about as much as possible, only in my garden which has a high wall all around, a private small oasis. The seasons are grounding and so is watching out for a bumblebee, any bumblebee to please come and fertilise my many blueberry bushes which are almost in full flower. I might sit and just watch and listen to the birds, much better than gloomy stuff. Indoors can wait, I have weeks

growstuff Wed 18-Mar-20 10:23:34

Iam64 Get some tweezers! I've never had my eyebrows "done" and they're not bushy.

growstuff Wed 18-Mar-20 10:28:58

craftyone I'm afraid I'm never short of things to do on my own. Follow a FutureLearn course, take up a craft, gardening, sorting out my cupboards, sorting out my huge number of computer files, learning how to set up a blog/website, reading all the books on my shelves … the list goes on. Every time I start to make a "to do" list it just gets longer.

There are people who can't get out much, don't have much money and live on their own. Somehow most of them cope - and are even quite happy.

Alexa Wed 18-Mar-20 10:32:58

With a name like Craftyone I'd imagine you would be able to learn to cut and do your own hair!

craftyone Wed 18-Mar-20 17:09:41

anything but alexa grin. I`ve been very busy all day, very satisfying including woodwork outside. I enjoyed the whole day. A few things in my diary for the following day, every day, something to get up for

annep1 Wed 18-Mar-20 17:23:31

Craftyone I agree. We must have a plan or we would become very lethargic.