Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

So, what is going to happen at Easter?

(30 Posts)
Labaik Wed 18-Mar-20 12:12:58

Will people be able to travel to holiday accommodation that they have booked? Resulting in some remote parts of the country that have few people with the virus suddenly having a dramatic increase? Will we be in lockdown by then. If I go on a short holiday to the seaside next week [no shopping/social contact etc just walking on the beach] is there a chance I might not be allowed to return home?

Hithere Wed 18-Mar-20 12:18:33

The same thing that happened to Chinese new year.

We can always celebrate publicly next year.

Oopsminty Wed 18-Mar-20 12:20:15

Everyone I know has cancelled their Easter trips.

I thought that was the advice.

No unnecessary travel

jaylucy Wed 18-Mar-20 12:20:42

As things seem to change from day to day, can't tell.
I would guess that travel restrictions to go out of the UK will still be in place but I have seen at least 1 park in Cornwall will be open for business for holidays already booked but the pool and entertainment will not be in use.
Not sure where you are, but unless the government decide to bring in the army, I would say that you will be allowed home obviously as long as still in the UK, but any symptoms on return, self isolate . You really need to contact the people you have booked with rather than all of us playing guessing games!

MawB Wed 18-Mar-20 12:21:55

Labaik I very much doubt it.
Cottages may be available but Air BnB, hotels, etc will have shut down.
There will be nowhere to go and nothing to do other than healthy walks and basically, after this weekend, we may not be allowed to go anywhere. That’s what Lockdown means.
Do you really want to risk infection or risk spreading it?

Gaunt47 Wed 18-Mar-20 12:27:54

I live in a lovely part of the west country popular with holiday makers and second home owners. From a nearby seaside village comes the story that a London couple with a holiday home decamped there because they wanted to get away from a couple of relatives who had the virus. They cheerfully told this story in the local newsagents. The owner chucked them out, called the police and had to deep clean his shop.

Daisymae Wed 18-Mar-20 12:31:46

How would you know if the previous occupants had been infected?

AllTheLs Wed 18-Mar-20 12:35:25

I've just had to cancel/postpone a family gathering for Mother's Day at my Mum's house because my granddaughter that I'm in regular contact with has a cough. I'm 99% certain it's just a cough, but what if that 1% meant I passed it on? We're hoping that after 14 days we can reschedule, which will take us up to Easter.

Labaik Wed 18-Mar-20 12:43:04

It's our own cottage. None has used it except us. We would drive straight there, take our own food, mix with no one and drive straight back. Only thing we'd need to do is fill up with petrol to get back but would wear gloves; hand sanitize/wash hands immediately. We were planning to have a family holiday together at Easter; I'd booked a nearby cottage for my son to stay at. As it is my daughter[sensibly] won't share the cottage with us [doesn't want us to have contact with the grandchildren] so we thought we'd go there separately. The thought of travelling so far from home is a worry. Had the car serviced last week to make sure everything was ok. Would travel at the crack of dawn when the roads are quiet. No intention of stopping off at a service station so won't be drinking anything prior to travelling. A week of walking on the beach would be wonderful. Have been trapped by flood water for weeks so suffering badly from cabin fever. Just don't know what to do....

Anniebach Wed 18-Mar-20 12:46:51

There won’t be church services on Good Friday and Easter Day ,

Yorksherlass Wed 18-Mar-20 12:47:09

If it’s your cottage, would it matter about lockdown ?

Labaik Wed 18-Mar-20 12:56:55

We can't stay there indefinitely; there would only be a limited amount of food there and there isn't a freezer.

Ellianne Wed 18-Mar-20 12:58:33

If it is your own cottage then that would be as good as being at home. Even better if it is in a nice part if the country. You sound as though you have everything in place to go, so I would go there.
We live in a seaside town. Sadly most Easter events are cancelled but there is still the beach and country dog walks for those who enjoy. Also if it is possible to eat outside in a bit of sunshine people might just risk it.
Gaunt those 2nd home owners weren't being very responsible then. I've heard there might be even more 2nd home buyers looking with the very intention of getting out of the capital.

Hithere Wed 18-Mar-20 13:03:22

If you went to your own place without stopping anywhere or seeing anybody during that time, maybe. I think it would be a foolish idea.

Family traditions can wait till this is over.

Susan56 Wed 18-Mar-20 13:10:16

We have cancelled our Easter family get together.We will hopefully rearrange later in the year.
Had an email this morning cancelling our holiday as well and have transferred to next year.

Labaik Wed 18-Mar-20 13:10:49

That's just it. We're not spending any time with the family for the foreseeable future. We're pretty much self isolating. The difference being that we would be self isolating but travelling to get to somewhere else to self isolate. I'm worried that I'm getting agoraphobia.

Labaik Wed 18-Mar-20 13:13:14

As for the cottage I've booked for my son, this is the first time in my life that I didn't take out cancellation insurance; the logic being that, even if he didn't go someone else would probably want to. I sometimes think that I've brought this down on the world by not doing so!

SirChenjin Wed 18-Mar-20 13:15:31

If you're travelling by your own car to stay in your own holiday home and will take the same precautions as you would at home then I can't see the problem. Presumably you'd be reducing your social contact to minimal when you get there?

Whether your family would want to stay in a rental property nearby is another matter - it's always a bit of a worry in case the previous tenants had the virus.

Txquiltz Wed 18-Mar-20 13:18:59

If we still have to isolate the whole family will use FaceTime during the meal

Ellianne Wed 18-Mar-20 13:22:54

The other cottage you booked is irrelevant in your decision to self isolate.

Labaik Wed 18-Mar-20 13:26:57

Social contact will be zero. My daughter is happy to stay at our cottage at Easter [if they can still go that is]. My son doesn't seem as concerned about everything as we are. The cleaning company we use are doing quite well business wise as they're now being asked to do lots of deep cleaning. I think the thought of travelling a long way from my family at the moment is a concern [even though I'm not seeing them]. And we'd make sure we were ready to drive home at a moments notice if necessary.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Mar-20 13:33:32

labaik as you know we are away for a few days, and the unnecessary travel edict came out the day after we arrived here. But we are isolating ourselves and walking on the cliffs and beach.

The only thing I will say is that a friend whose has a policeman as a neighbour is saying that they are training for lock down like Spain and France, so I think then going away will be impossible

Labaik Wed 18-Mar-20 13:35:39

If there is a lock down would we be able to travel home? Or is it an instant thing?

Esspee Wed 18-Mar-20 13:44:20

It is very clear from many of the replies on here that people are not getting the message.

Stay home!

Labaik Wed 18-Mar-20 13:46:36

We've pretty much decided that.