Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Schools

(416 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 18-Mar-20 17:36:36

I have had an email from the school which seems to be paving the way to telling me that the school is likely to close, or perhaps partially close.

My grandson and his friends inform me that it will be happening on Friday.

Just thought I would let people know, and of course, that's my interpretation only.

agnurse Thu 26-Mar-20 00:41:26

Schools in my province have closed. Grade 12 students have already moved to online instruction (as they have diploma exams; I think these would be roughly GCSE equivalents) and all other grades will be starting online instruction as of April 6. (Fortunately I attended an online school for Grades 9-12 so I have some familiarity with online learning.) The college where I teach has moved to online learning as well. I was out teaching nursing practicum but that has been cancelled, obviously; I am now working from home and have been moved to curriculum.

Child care centers are closed, too. Some private dayhomes (where a licensed worker provides care for a small number of children in the worker's own home) are still open, as they usually have less than 7 children attending.

Thankfully, my husband works nights (security guard) and he is still able to work, and my kid is 15, understands that Mom has to work at times, and is responsible enough not to blow up the house when unsupervised grin

GagaJo Mon 23-Mar-20 21:18:41

Trisher, that is the gospel, for teachers.

SueDonim Mon 23-Mar-20 21:14:39

That’s brilliant, Trisher! grin

trisher Mon 23-Mar-20 21:00:40

Pleased it helped May7 I think it's brilliant and it shows that teachers always manage to find something to laugh about.

May7 Mon 23-Mar-20 20:30:16

Oh Trisher thats really cheered me up grin

Hetty58 Mon 23-Mar-20 10:44:25

Yep, that sounds just about right!

Sunlover Mon 23-Mar-20 10:37:03

Love it Trisher. ??

Wheniwasyourage Mon 23-Mar-20 10:35:15

Love it, trisher grin

Elegran Mon 23-Mar-20 10:25:22

Brilliant, Trisher

trisher Mon 23-Mar-20 10:06:43

Sorry this is so long but it's funny (especially for us professionals) From a friend's facebook page

Now, if you're a parent considering taking up the mantle of teaching yourself, in these uncertain times, here's what I'm able to offer by way of support from afar:
1) You're not allowed to shout at them.
2) You can't drink at work - and certainly not before.
3) Never threaten anything you can't follow through with.
4) Keep them off their phones for the duration of the school day.
5) If they complain of being bored, then you're obviously not interesting or inspiring them. You need to work on that urgently.
6) No bullying. You or them.
7) Homework is mandatory. Set them research tasks to work on in the evenings.
? Give clear regular targets - to aid progress, not to stop them bugging you.
9) No swearing. And good luck with that.
10) If you encounter poor behaviour, you can only send them out of the room for three minutes at a time. When you re-admit them, schedule a conflict resolution session. Your thirty minute lunch "hour" is perfect for this.
11) For every critical or negative comment you are forced to make, ensure you balance this out with no less than seven points of praise.
12) If you have more than one child, ensure you differentiate the learning material so that each child can access and achieve in the lesson. No, colouring-in doesn't count as differentiation. Except in geography lessons.
13) Ensure your child maintains correct uniform at this time. Standards are everything.... even when the uniform of the Apocalypse is only pyjamas.
14) Ask a neighbour from a rival home-school to drop in on you uninvited and observe your lesson through the window. Afterwards, let them spend fifteen minutes telling you all the things you did poorly. Then have them publish their notes in the local newspaper.
15) If you don't feel confident in delivering lesson material, learn it. The internet is there for information just as much as it is for political shit-stirring, good old-fashioned dishonesty, cat pictures and morons who refuse to vaccinate their children. Although that last bunch have really fallen off, of late.
16) Marking is compulsory and should be done every evening between the hours of 6.30 to 11.00pm. Encourage your child to read these comments at the start of the next lesson. Feign surprise when they don't bother.
17) Vitally important: if teaching literacy, make sure you include some numeracy in the lesson at some point - no matter how arbitrary. But, no, counting the minutes until it's all over doesn't count.
Now, should you be really enthusiastic about sampling the full experience of the professional teacher, these closing points may help flesh it out:
1) Everyone thinks you're doing a terrible job.
2) Everyone thinks you're bone idle and only work for five hours a day.
3) Stop complaining... you're always on holiday.
4) The Government not only hates you, but it will routinely publish criticism of you as an individual and will misrepresent your profession to encourage everyone else to consider you worthless.
5) Feeling stressed? Yeah, that's a thing. Oh, and that brings us to...
6) By the end of the year, if your child hasn't made at least two levels of progress, you better be ready with a cast-iron excuse why not. "Because they're lazy and never listen" is not going to cut it. You should, instead, put on a hair-shirt and beat yourself in front of a committee whilst pledging to work harder next time. Whilst fellow parents stand in a circle around you and reiterate points one to three.
7) Now... do this for thirty years, safe in the knowledge that your pension will be halved for no reason. If you make it as far as retirement.
Most importantly: love and value the kids that are sitting in front of you over the next few weeks. We always do. And it's never been for a wage-slip.

Elegran Mon 23-Mar-20 08:46:34

Lots of judging in your posts, Grandad1943. Will we also all be judged on how we addressed those working just as hard as we do, but in other sectors?

eazybee Mon 23-Mar-20 08:00:07

Teachers are used to working through evenings , weekends and holidays to cope with the increasing amount of paperwork, (which will prove its worth in the assessment for missed examinations,) because school work centres around school terms and cannot be deferred to the five week summer holidays.
However, I am grateful to have retired before constant access via email and text from parents was becoming common, and I gather is very time consuming and demanding.

Grandma2213 Mon 23-Mar-20 00:38:10

My DGC (primary school) are receiving work online from their teachers who have been posting all this weekend. As an ex teacher I know that it is quite usual for teachers to work evenings weekends and holidays in preparation for lessons and in marking. However I know that at least one of those teachers also will continue to work in school with the children of key workers and has asked for forbearance as she cannot answer queries during the day. Her own daughter is at home with her father. I am seriously worried about her own health as she is also helping and advising parents on how to use the internet links the children are using. Tonight (Sunday) there were 18 posts including general work, advice to parents and specific comments to my DGC. She has 30 children in her class so I guess those pupils too have had posts!
My DGC in secondary school are waiting for staff in school to provide their work in the next two days.

eazybee Mon 23-Mar-20 00:15:29

I am sure you will be delighted to know, Granddad, that various ex-colleagues in different parts of the country have said they will be expected to work through the Easter holidays to cope with unprecedented demands, and that they are happy to do so.

Grandad1943 Sun 22-Mar-20 22:47:01

May7
???

May7 Sun 22-Mar-20 22:41:43

grin ok dont get your Snickers in a Twix Maybe now YOU know how it feels Grandad1943
Everyone is trying hard and nerves are frayed. I am not engaging in personal insults. If I was you really would know

Grandad1943 Sun 22-Mar-20 22:33:31

May7, in regard to your post @22:03 today, I have not "changed my tack" on anything stated previously. However, the education sector along with all working sectors of the British economy will be judged on how they perform in the coming weeks and months of this crisis.

In regard to the education sector as I understand the situation, tomorrow will be the first day of the crisis school closures. How they the sector performs in accommodating children of essential workers in the coming weeks and perhaps months will be how it is judged into the future.

In regards to my own situation, I have spent many hours in organising two of our companies assignment teams who are engaged in training of existing and new employees in three very large food distribution centres on Severnside.

We also have other employees working in the unfamiliar circumstance of working from home, and others that we have no work for at present due to their qualifications being not required in this crisis.

So, the above has meant some very long hours for myself and the other three partners in the business, so I will not engage in your attempts to engage in personal insults with me on this thread at this time.

May7 Sun 22-Mar-20 22:03:10

Yes GrandadI did read it thoroughly but you seemed to have changed your position regarding teachers......You have accused them of many things whingeing and whining I seem to recall but reading your post thoroughly as you suggest you appear to have changed tack and are now saying that the teaching profession should be looking after key workers children? You confused me because that is exactly what our hard working and conscientious teachers are trying to do. So I was asking you if you are now happy with the teachers?

These are trying times for all of us in society and you too are obviously working very hard.

Perhaps an early night would help.

Grandad1943 Sun 22-Mar-20 21:54:36

May7 in regard to your post @21:43 today, my point was as I stated in my post @21:16 today if you care to read it thoroughly, and nothing else.

Grandad1943 Sun 22-Mar-20 21:49:29

Apologies for the text errors in my above post, I have been working some very long hours myself due to the crisis over the last week.

May7 Sun 22-Mar-20 21:43:40

Isnt that what is happening then ????
Key workers children ARE being looked after by the teachers so that key workers can continue with their jobs. What's your point? Are you now happy with the teachers ??

Grandad1943 Sun 22-Mar-20 21:16:36

It has been stated on many occasions on this forum that these are unprecedented times. However, it has to be remembered that in all probability we in Britain are only at the very beginning of those times. In some sectors of the working economy, there are essential industries that have been under great pressure for nearly two weeks already, while for others the first true transitions will not become evident until the forthcoming days.

In the above, the health profession will be at the very front of all that is happening, and is about to happen. Beyond that, transport and distribution has already been under huge pressure by way of working in support of the health service and in what has at times seemed like a forlorn hope of keeping retail supermarkets stocked in the face of unprecedented panic buying that has not been seen in Britain at any time in contemporary history.

Other key industries scarcely get a mention, and yet they are paramount to life in any modern society. In that, the utilities such as Electricity supply, fresh water supply and even sewage plant operation are essential to the very basics of life in Britain, and in that, all others must work in support of all who employed in those industries.

I have great concern that in the industry I am most familiar with, road transport and distribution, many will be unable to continue working at the high hour's levels they are at present carrying out. I believe within the electricity and water industries long hours are also being worked as many carry out their normal duties but while doing so also train for other duties in the case that those who normally work those operations fall sick.

In all the above it must be the centre objective of the education sector to ensure that that key workers in the above essential industries can be assured, when necessary, that their children can be accommodated, cared for and educated within Britains schools so as to let their key worker parents continue their employment without that added concern.

Noting will be more important as a task for the education sector throughout the coming weeks.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 22-Mar-20 21:10:59

Thankfully my grandson is to continue at school, he has Down Syndrome which means his immune system is not good. I would love to have him, but as an oldie with underlying issues, it's more than I dare do.

growstuff Sun 22-Mar-20 21:04:21

It's not so much the laptop, but my broadband connection isn't up to it. It's usually OK, but I suspect it's overloaded. A more efficient laptop might improve the situation slightly, but not necessarily. I'd probably get a better connection if it were wired rather than using a modem, but that defeats the portability of a laptop. Some areas round here haven't been able to get reliable internet connection for weeks. We really need 5G, but some places can't even get 4G! The government's ambition to have us all online and communicating remotely (claiming benefits, working, consultation with doctors, etc) needs investment in infrastructure. It's being tested now and is failing.

GagaJo Sun 22-Mar-20 20:39:54

Growstuff, I suppose I'm lucky that my current school provides us all with laptops.

My previous UK school had done away with staff laptops. I hope they don't expect those teachers to use their own equipment for the lessons, because if, like you, it isn't up to the job, there isn't much the school can do about it!