Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

It's beginning to look highly likely now that over 70's will have to self isolate for 4 months.

(37 Posts)
Labaik Fri 20-Mar-20 23:40:37

How many of us are preparing for that?

Labaik Fri 20-Mar-20 23:43:21

And what should the government be planning now for that. My immediate thought is that it will result in Vit D deficiency in those that do not have gardens. And everyone needs to have internet access. Televisions etc.

merlotgran Fri 20-Mar-20 23:51:54

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI-WRb2u4po

After four months, it could be like this. grin

Callistemon Fri 20-Mar-20 23:52:06

I do worry for those on their own, those coping with someone with eg dementia who normally go to a day centre. Not everyone can cope with computers and the internet.

grannyactivist Sat 21-Mar-20 01:10:38

Not just over 70's either - all those in the high risk categories. I can cope for myself, but we're supporting two men with learning disabilities who have no statutory help or local family support and one man with a mental illness whose statutory support worker is not allowed to visit him (quite rightly, due to risk of spreading the virus from client to client); they're all at high risk due to health problems. They barely understand what's happening and it's causing them a great deal of anxiety already; how they can cope for weeks (dare I say months?) I don't know. sad

MamaCaz Sat 21-Mar-20 06:48:35

As grannyactivist has just said, it's not just over 70s
One son, wife and 20 month old are isolating because one of them is at-risk.

Imagine being cooped up in a tiny house for months on end with a child of that age, not to mention the practicalities of relying on supermarket deliveries to bring the essentials.

At the moment, DS is taking little one out to the little playground near their house early each morning, while no one else is around, then again later in the day when possible (taking all possible precautions), but who knows how long even this kind of 'outing' will be possible.

MamaCaz Sat 21-Mar-20 06:50:09

And both parents have the added difficulty of trying to work from home at the same time,

Pikachu Sat 21-Mar-20 06:51:26

Yes. BJ has been drip feeding the restrictions one by one; firstly suggestions, the schools closing, now all pubs etc.. What next?

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 21-Mar-20 06:58:32

I’m just watching the BBC, the estimate is that 44% of all 80 yr olds (and over) who are admitted to hospital with Covid 19 will die.

I can’t remember the other statistics but it’s scary stuff.

nanacol Sat 21-Mar-20 07:04:16

Based on yesterday's revelations I'm thinking it will be even longer than 4 months. I'm self isolating because I'm on immunosuppressants but also have now taken on sole caring responsibilities for my mum who lives nearby. It seems this is the only way to keep us both safe. But if you think about it we can only be safe if there is a vaccine which is 12 to 18 months away. If we emerge in the meantime we'll surely catch it won't we? I don't think I can go that long without a hug from my daughter and baby grandchild.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 21-Mar-20 07:10:56

It’s horrid isn’t it? , we usually see our DD and GCs during school Holidays as they live so far away.

I really feel for people who live alone who are unable to feel another’s touch.
Our DD2 lives nearby in a house share and suffers from depression, id like her to move back home, but it would mean that she would have to self isolate with us, which would drive her crazy, but at least we could give her some hugs.

My MILs care home is in lock down, I doubt that she will remember any of us by the time we can visit her, sadly we might never see her again, or even be able to go to her funeral. On the upside she might well outlive us all! They take such good care of her.

bikergran Sat 21-Mar-20 07:39:45

If this did happen, I know for a fact that my parents especially my mum would just go down hill, its taking me all the time to keep her motivated and eating etc. she is a strong willed determined person, but was diagnosed with cancer last year.

Many many people would just wither away, become so depressed. Its a very sad and scary situation.It does start to make you angry at who/what actually caused it.

Grandad1943 Sat 21-Mar-20 07:49:47

Everyone can still go out for walks but just make sure you keep social distancing when you do.

Those that have gardens can maintain them, so we should all have wonderfull looking gardens by June this year.

Shopping will be the biggest problem but we are finding that our three adult daughters are sharing that between them each day. I am aware that not all will be in that position but there are volunteer groups springing up everywhere willing to carryout shopping etc for those most at risk.

Finally, there any number of video linking services available that enable anyone to chat and see family and friends live at any time.

So, let us all stay positive and think positive, for in that life will be changed but fine indeed. ?

Daddima Sat 21-Mar-20 07:57:21

I had bitten the bullet and booked my first holiday with friends without the Bodach, but that’s not going to happen, so I’ve just spent the money on having the garden made ‘easy maintenance’ as I’m imagining I’ll be spending quite a lot of time in it ( weather permitting!)
I’m trying not to think in terms of weeks or months too much.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 08:08:56

I think the point is that unless this virus behaves like SARS, and there is no evidence that it will, then we will have to learn to live with it by isolating, until a suitable vaccine is developed

Auntieflo Sat 21-Mar-20 08:13:57

Daddima, could I ask what it is that you have had done in your garden please?

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 08:40:29

I have seen nothing to suggest that we will have to go into social seclusion. We should be stricter with our social distancing than younger people, but not socially isolate. Here is a link to the official government advice www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

At the risk of sounding uncaring, we need to remember that quite a number of the elderly and previously ill would have died in the next few months anyway and just because the virus was in their bodies when they die does not mean it was the virus that killed them. My father had early stage bladder cancer when he died, but it made no contribution to the cause of his death, which was in fact heart disease.

The BBC medical correspondent has written an interesting item on this www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Gaunt47 Sat 21-Mar-20 08:49:56

M0nica a couple of good points. Just because people have died with the virus doesn't mean they died from the virus. IMO we will never know the exact numbers because these poor folk died in hospital and it's unlikely that autopsies will take place. IMO.
Annually in the UK around 17,000 die from influenza.

Anniebach Sat 21-Mar-20 09:04:01

Not everyone can go for walks or work in their gardens because of health problems.

There is a difference between self isolation if you have a partner than if you live alone.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 09:04:08

For monicas benefit - for isolating please read distancing. Remiss of me I know as you will no doubt tell me.

Labaik Sat 21-Mar-20 09:29:22

I wasn't really referring to what a lot of us are actually doing now anyway, but what would happen when the over 70's are made to stay at home [and I'm sure it's going to happen unless by some miracle we do not follow the pattern seen in Italy]. I would assume that the over 70's wouldn't even be allowed to go for a walk. I'm 68 so between a rock and a hard place. Wouldn't have any of the help that the over 70's would have to be given, but above the age whereby I would have access to a ventilator.

Eglantine21 Sat 21-Mar-20 09:33:43

I’ve only been living with my partner for a few months and there’s definitely a lot of tension in our different interpretation of self isolate.

Me, I’m a belt and braces girl. I’m wanting to stay in the house and garden with some early morning walks. Online shopping (when I can get it) making do otherwise.

He thinks the probability (not risk, he’s a statistical scientist) of catching CV is low as long as you keep your distance sand would go shopping, have a daily paper, keep his hospital appointment, have the workmen in the house to replace the window.

At the moment he’s going along with me. But it can’t last......

Am I sensible and he is he stubborn and careless. (My take)
Or am I paranoid and he is rational and realistic (His take)

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 10:01:12

i still think self-seclusion for the over-70s is unlikely. It just wouldn't be workable. Even in countries in full lock down people ar allowed out to food shop and visit pharmacies.

Labaik Sat 21-Mar-20 10:09:42

Eglantine; I can see your problem. I've forbidden my partner from buying his daily newspaper and told him to get it online. He was going shopping next week but I've told him we've got enough in the freezer and larder to live off. In general, though, he is being very careful.

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 10:09:46

We've had offers from neighbours to shop for us and we're lucky enough to have some family hot dar away.

However, yesterday, a young woman came to the door and a local Facebook page has been set up with people offering to shop, collect medicines etc for those who may be self-isolating.