Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

It's beginning to look highly likely now that over 70's will have to self isolate for 4 months.

(38 Posts)
Labaik Fri 20-Mar-20 23:40:37

How many of us are preparing for that?

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 20:06:40

Summerlove, I have no feelings about your message but I simply did not agree with it. The virus is not a steady state it is growing rapidly I risk assessed my decision, including the extent of the virus in my area, applied all the precautions advised, avoiding social interaction beyond that absolutely necessary, wore gloves when shopping. Kept at least 2 metres away from other people, washed my hands frequently and decided to delay going into purdah until my car had its safety modification. It enabled me to make sure I had all the materials to undertake a range of activities and projects at home, inside and out, thus protecting my mental as well as physical health.

That was my judgement. It was neither better nor worse than yours. Just different.

I am now socially distancing to the maximum meaning of the government guidance and have been since Friday afternoon

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Mar-20 18:17:07

The message is

In order of risk.

If you have a very serious condition particularly if you have an suppressed immunity - stay in

If you are over 70 with an underlying medical condition best to stay in but perhaps go out for a short while keeping 2meters apart for a bit of exercise

If you are over 70 you are still at relatively high risk so sensibly follow the guidelines for social distancing as strictly as possible.

Really exactly what we have all been saying for a while now.

Summerlove Sun 22-Mar-20 18:05:34

Do not shoot the messenger because you do not like the message.
This applies to you as well.

You don’t like my message that a virus doesn’t know about date limitations.

That doesn’t make it untrue

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 17:37:36

The high risk people are those with specific medical conditions, not all over 70s and not all those with underlying conditions.

Nothing uncaring in the post you mention. You should read the article I gave a link to and everything I said was a statement of the facts and in that link.

Do not shoot the messenger because you do not like the message.

Labaik Sun 22-Mar-20 15:35:00

And as for your post of Sat 21-Mar-20 08:40:29, uncaring doesn't even cover it.

Labaik Sun 22-Mar-20 15:29:56

I'm not being alarmist. The government are now sending out letters to everyone that is high risk. What I was asking was what extra things should the government do to help people that they are now telling to self isolate. Eg many of the people receiving those letters will live alone. Will they be given contact details of people that will deliver food etc to them. Will surgeries phone patients up to see how they are coping. When our surgery was open we would have done that but it was closed to cut costs.

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 19:58:39

Labaik, you really are very alarmist, but offer no evidence for anything beyond saying you think it.

The vast majority of people on ventilation are over 70s because, generally, people under that age are unlikely to have the virus so severely they need one. The death rate for children seems to be under 1% for over 80s and those with underlying health conditions up to 15%. The competition for ventilators will not be between young and old but between the old do you, who has asthma and high blood pressure get the ventilator or the person in the next bed, 5 years your junior but with asthma, diabetes, and high blood pressure.

Hetty58 Sat 21-Mar-20 17:30:05

Anniebach, better a living grumpy old bat!

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 15:56:07

That's unfortunate about the electric wheelchair and the ramp.

I think reality is beginning to hit for many

Anniebach Sat 21-Mar-20 11:57:48

Callistemon yes we have a community group who will do
shopping. My physiotherapist has cancelled house visits, the person from Age Concern has stopped cutting nails.

I was going to buy an electric wheelchair so I can get out of
the bungalow for a while, the person who was going to help
me adjust to using one has cancelled his visits.

The council has cancelled work to install a ramp because they
are working in the houses which were flooded.

Don’t think having a cleaner is wise, wouldn’t know how many
houses she/he works in.

I am a grumpy old bat at the moment .

Daddima Sat 21-Mar-20 11:44:12

Auntieflo The fences and shed hadn’t been painted last year, as the Bodach was ill, so that’s done, and the slabs cleaned. I’ve had flower beds covered with chips to keep weeds down, and pots prepared for planting later. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep on top of it myself, and my neighbour will cut the grass.

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 10:12:03

Not far away!!

Anniebach and others who may need help because you have no relatives in the immediate vicinity, have you checked to see if you have a local FB volunteer group you could contact if needs be?

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 10:09:46

We've had offers from neighbours to shop for us and we're lucky enough to have some family hot dar away.

However, yesterday, a young woman came to the door and a local Facebook page has been set up with people offering to shop, collect medicines etc for those who may be self-isolating.

Labaik Sat 21-Mar-20 10:09:42

Eglantine; I can see your problem. I've forbidden my partner from buying his daily newspaper and told him to get it online. He was going shopping next week but I've told him we've got enough in the freezer and larder to live off. In general, though, he is being very careful.

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 10:01:12

i still think self-seclusion for the over-70s is unlikely. It just wouldn't be workable. Even in countries in full lock down people ar allowed out to food shop and visit pharmacies.

Eglantine21 Sat 21-Mar-20 09:33:43

I’ve only been living with my partner for a few months and there’s definitely a lot of tension in our different interpretation of self isolate.

Me, I’m a belt and braces girl. I’m wanting to stay in the house and garden with some early morning walks. Online shopping (when I can get it) making do otherwise.

He thinks the probability (not risk, he’s a statistical scientist) of catching CV is low as long as you keep your distance sand would go shopping, have a daily paper, keep his hospital appointment, have the workmen in the house to replace the window.

At the moment he’s going along with me. But it can’t last......

Am I sensible and he is he stubborn and careless. (My take)
Or am I paranoid and he is rational and realistic (His take)

Labaik Sat 21-Mar-20 09:29:22

I wasn't really referring to what a lot of us are actually doing now anyway, but what would happen when the over 70's are made to stay at home [and I'm sure it's going to happen unless by some miracle we do not follow the pattern seen in Italy]. I would assume that the over 70's wouldn't even be allowed to go for a walk. I'm 68 so between a rock and a hard place. Wouldn't have any of the help that the over 70's would have to be given, but above the age whereby I would have access to a ventilator.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 09:04:08

For monicas benefit - for isolating please read distancing. Remiss of me I know as you will no doubt tell me.

Anniebach Sat 21-Mar-20 09:04:01

Not everyone can go for walks or work in their gardens because of health problems.

There is a difference between self isolation if you have a partner than if you live alone.

Gaunt47 Sat 21-Mar-20 08:49:56

M0nica a couple of good points. Just because people have died with the virus doesn't mean they died from the virus. IMO we will never know the exact numbers because these poor folk died in hospital and it's unlikely that autopsies will take place. IMO.
Annually in the UK around 17,000 die from influenza.

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 08:40:29

I have seen nothing to suggest that we will have to go into social seclusion. We should be stricter with our social distancing than younger people, but not socially isolate. Here is a link to the official government advice www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

At the risk of sounding uncaring, we need to remember that quite a number of the elderly and previously ill would have died in the next few months anyway and just because the virus was in their bodies when they die does not mean it was the virus that killed them. My father had early stage bladder cancer when he died, but it made no contribution to the cause of his death, which was in fact heart disease.

The BBC medical correspondent has written an interesting item on this www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

Auntieflo Sat 21-Mar-20 08:13:57

Daddima, could I ask what it is that you have had done in your garden please?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 08:08:56

I think the point is that unless this virus behaves like SARS, and there is no evidence that it will, then we will have to learn to live with it by isolating, until a suitable vaccine is developed

Daddima Sat 21-Mar-20 07:57:21

I had bitten the bullet and booked my first holiday with friends without the Bodach, but that’s not going to happen, so I’ve just spent the money on having the garden made ‘easy maintenance’ as I’m imagining I’ll be spending quite a lot of time in it ( weather permitting!)
I’m trying not to think in terms of weeks or months too much.

Grandad1943 Sat 21-Mar-20 07:49:47

Everyone can still go out for walks but just make sure you keep social distancing when you do.

Those that have gardens can maintain them, so we should all have wonderfull looking gardens by June this year.

Shopping will be the biggest problem but we are finding that our three adult daughters are sharing that between them each day. I am aware that not all will be in that position but there are volunteer groups springing up everywhere willing to carryout shopping etc for those most at risk.

Finally, there any number of video linking services available that enable anyone to chat and see family and friends live at any time.

So, let us all stay positive and think positive, for in that life will be changed but fine indeed. ?