Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Ok for healthy 65 to babysit??

(36 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Sat 21-Mar-20 10:24:42

I normally provide childcare for 2 grandchildren till parents home from work. I absolutely want to continue this but dd and sil are concerned for me and reluctant to let me visit. I can’t find “official” advice on my dilemma. Anyone know please?

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 06:56:00

Gramjo it’s only safe if they all stop going out , that means the whole household must stay indoors for as long as this lasts.
Can they all do that? Chances are that they will pop to the shop , then you will be exposed to the virus via them.
Might be best to stay at home , then you can control your environment.

GrannySquare Sun 22-Mar-20 12:59:51

Please note @vegansrock comment - The median age for admission to hospital ICU with covid 19 in the U.K. is 64, with 37% under 60.

By the time a patient gets to ICU, the odds of survival are rapidly sliding. So 37% - over a third - are under 60. Doctors are having to make ‘battlefield’ triage decisions about who is put into respirators based on their odds & likely speed of recovery. Those who are not eligible or suitable for respirators are made as comfortable to probably to slip away. Have no doubt the medics are counting the odds/probabilities of survival hour by hour round the clock. Those who survive face a long & difficult recovery as COVID-19 wreaks havoc on the respiratory system.

The deckchairs are being rearranged day by day. No longer the overs 70s & those with underlying health conditions are of the greatest concern. It is all of us, any of us can contract this extraordinarily contagious novel virus.

Good luck keeping your young charges at a sensible 2 metre distance, & everyone keeping their hands scrupulously clean & nowhere near eyes, nose & throat. Go ahead if you really really must, but you are being told to not do so. So stay there day & night for as long as it takes this storm to pass, do not go out or mix with anyone else. This is the politest way I can say it...

GramJo5 Sun 22-Mar-20 12:34:57

I am 69 years old, no health issues. I have been isolating for 4 days as have my family. When we have all completed 10 days isolation, my son wants me to go and live with him and the grandchildren, to know I am safe. I live an hours drive from them.

Would miss my home and family is most important. Would this be a safe action for all?

Daisymae Sun 22-Mar-20 12:14:59

not visit on mothers day!

Daisymae Sun 22-Mar-20 12:14:34

As the advice is that people should visit their mothers on mothers day I would think that the rational advice is no, you should not be babysitting. Even though you want to. The evidence is that the children would be fine with the virus, but you may not. The NHS is starting to struggle already, we all have a part to play.

Grannynannywanny Sun 22-Mar-20 10:09:41

The problem is that it’s not so clean cut. NHS staff are working very long shifts in extremely difficult circumstances. They need to be at work. For those who have children it’s imperative that they are being cared for at home while they concentrate on caring for others in hospitals. For grandparents who normally provide that childcare and know they may be prevented from doing so it’s heartbreaking. I’m very proud of my nursing daughter giving her all as she spends 12+ hours trying to keep patients alive. They don’t even stop for a meal break or rest. But right now I wish she had a job that enabled her to work from home and be with her children.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 22-Mar-20 09:46:20

Bluebell as I said In my post, do it but stay away from everyone else.

Why are people posting about babysitting? They know the advice, the ACs are saying no, what is the problem?

vegansrock Sun 22-Mar-20 07:56:32

The median age for admission to hospital ICU with covid 19 in the U.K. is 64, with 37% under 60. Report in papers today. It’s not just extreme oldies. Protect yourself and others.

growstuff Sun 22-Mar-20 07:22:19

The children and their parents themselves could be carriers. It's up to you whether you take the risk. If you do and catch it from them, you are just as likely to infect somebody else as their parents are, but you are likely to have worse symptoms.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Mar-20 04:29:54

oopsadaisy I think there is information out there about what underlying bad heath is and it isn’t an earache or a sore finger
If you look at the statistics for Italy’s deaths it is serious things like heart disease, COPD, lung disease, diabetes, cancer
The youngest person in U.K. to die had motor neurone
Whilst I agree with great caution I do think we have to try and take a level headed outlook
What is the difference between 69 and 70? A person of 40 can be less healthy than someone of 60
I think if you want to look after grandkids that is up to you but you MUST MUST MUST stay away from everyone else as they may well be carriers

Coolgran65 Sun 22-Mar-20 04:15:12

We have self isolated for 7 days. On mothers day we shall go to a country park and meet up with two sons, dil and two dgc. We will be able to chat and keep a good distance apart. More than is advised.

Hetty58 Sun 22-Mar-20 01:07:36

It's just not worth taking any risks at the moment. They don't want to lose their grandparents.

A lot of mums are taking turns to have each other's children so that the 'child free' one can work.

Hithere Sat 21-Mar-20 22:55:13

Anniechip

No, it is not safe.

Same advice from OP applies to your situation

To all: please stop looking for loopholes how to avoid the law and recommendations. It is all for our own good.

Harris27 Sat 21-Mar-20 21:58:30

Thank you Jude2006 I’m still working and in childcare. I will continue to work as long as I’m fit. The children I will be looking after are frontline nhs staff and delivery workers and store workers. I think I’m doing my bit it won’t last as we will probably close nearer the weeks ahead. I’m 60 just!

Tangerine Sat 21-Mar-20 21:41:01

I am sorry but I think your daughter and son-in-law are correct.

Anniechip Sat 21-Mar-20 21:37:01

Hi everyone, hope you are keeping safe and well. I am 66, very healthy and look after my 3 and 5 year old grandchildren 2 days a week in their own home. I normally sleepover. The little one’s nursery is staying open for the time being and the 5 year old will be at home as her school is closed. My DD can work at home, (but would get very little done with a 5 year old in the house,) my SiL works in a mental health private hospital and may have to stay there if staff go off sick. If DD and the children self isolate for 7 days can I then look after the 5 year old during the day at their house then come home. I am so confused about the Gov saying grandparents just can’t look after them. I am not over 70 and in very good health- no underlying health issues at all.
Advice would be most welcome please.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 21-Mar-20 17:27:57

Sodapop there are still threads with posters saying that they know that the virus can stay on metal surfaces for up to 4 hours ! FHS don’t they listen, or read?

sodapop Sat 21-Mar-20 17:17:11

Seems like 69 is the magic number after that we are doomed.

Common sense seems to have left the building people wait to be told the bleeding obvious there couldn't be any more information out there.

jude2006 Sat 21-Mar-20 16:35:54

Everyone over the age of sixty should be self isolating if they can, but a lot of people are still working until they receive the state pension at the age of sixty six.
I think the government are making the ruling of seventy because of our ever increasing retirement age.
If you look at the death rate figures around the world you will see lots of people have died who are in their sixties.
I too am in my sixties and take a low dose of blood pressure medication, which puts people in an at risk group,otherwise fortunately fit and healthy. I have chosen to keep my distance and self isolate.

MerylStreep Sat 21-Mar-20 16:24:23

My daughter works from home and is sometimes involved in a video conference.
The children know that they don't go into her office but there have been times when they've forgotten.
She has some conference calls coming up and I will take the children to the beach or woods.

Grannynannywanny Sat 21-Mar-20 16:23:58

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I met up with dd and grandkids this afternoon in a country park and we kept our distance and had a walk and chat in the fresh air. No hugs or physical contact. I held it together till we got back in our cars and they drove off.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 21-Mar-20 16:19:43

If you are fit and healthy and want to babysit then go ahead.
However, you can’t go near anyone who is over 70 or anyone of any age who has any health issues.
Bear in mind that if you get the virus, even though at the moment, you are fit and well, you could still die and potentially kill anyone you have come into contact with.
Most people have some kind of ‘underlying issue’ we aren’t being told what issues the people who have died have had . It could be Arthritis, a bad cold or an ear ache. We don’t know and shouldn’t assume that it was always a serious illness.

Is it worth it? Listen to your ACs. they seem to be taking this more seriously than you are.

Grannyflower Sat 21-Mar-20 16:13:08

Should also add they have no alternative provision. I am 66, both myself and DH are in reasonable health although I’ve had a nasal drip persistent cough for years

Grannyflower Sat 21-Mar-20 16:09:37

I took early retirement to look after my GD 3 days a week, now 19 months. Both parents work for NHS so I want to enable them to work but am I being irresponsible if I continue with childcare.

Riverwalk Sat 21-Mar-20 14:36:28

Well the official advice is to keep your distance.

I'm 65 but my GC live in the country and I'm in London so the need doesn't arise but, if it were to help them to earn a living and it was crucial then I would do so.

It's not as though you're putting yourself at risk so they can go off on a night out.

Not everyone has the luxury of a hands-off approach.