Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

It's not always that easy

(57 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:05:03

I have just had a row (on line obviously) with my DC. My DD has just said how surprised she is at how many old people are out shopping when they should be staying in. Another DD agreed with her and said they "don't get (understand) it". This was my reply " what do you suggest they do? There are a lot of people out there who have absolutely no one. Who live entirely on their own. Who don't have/ don't use computers (who couldn't book a food order even if they knew how because there aren't any). They couldn't stock up earlier because they couldn't afford to/ don't have the space/ don't have the means of carrying. I know we should all be staying in but it really is not easy for everyone. If you were really old and totally, absolutely on your own,would you rather die of Corona or starvation?" They probably won't speak to me again! Was I justified?

Luckygirl Sat 21-Mar-20 13:19:51

I do not think it is easy for anyone.

I am hoping that the wonderful volunteers in many localities will be able help people like those you describe.

I am deeply confused by supermarkets having early morning slots of time devoted to those who are on social distancing - surely the point is NOT to go to supermarkets!

EllanVannin Sat 21-Mar-20 14:38:22

Surely those who've bled supermarkets dry and there have been hundreds, won't be wanting the same amounts again next week ??

Hetty58 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:46:44

I totally agree with your daughters Lizbethann55. There are a lot of very stubborn old people who are so set in their ways that they still get the paper and a few items of shopping each morning - every day!

Very few of them have no living younger relatives, neighbours or friends willing to help. The either won't ask, or refuse offers of help.

Other people can get things for them and deliver to their doors. They can still go out for a nice walk but should be keeping away from people and shops!

Hithere Sat 21-Mar-20 15:02:16

Your DDs are right.

This is not easy for anybody. Young and old. Parents, children, grandparents, etc. This is very hard and this is only the beginning.

Using your own personal circumstances to justify that the rules don't apply to you is putting everybody at risk.

Life is not easy. Yet, we cope, adapt and make it work.

I wish people who claim that are older and wiser would understand that.

You are not the titanic.

SalsaQueen Sat 21-Mar-20 15:45:44

I work as a Warden at a sheltered housing scheme, and whilst SOME of the residents are staying in, most of them are going to the shops, church, and hairdresser......and most of them have got families who could do errands for them.

Lizbethann55 Sat 21-Mar-20 16:48:44

But aren't you all missing the point. You all mention people who do have other people to do stuff for them or who are just being awkward . And of course they should stay in. Although how many of you have been to the shops today? I know I have. But my concern is those who genuinely do not have anyone. And, tragically, in this day and age, there really are some very old, extremely isolated people out there who are totally on their own. They have to go to get their own food in. Or, literally , starve. Also let's not forget that isolation is used as a form of punishment in prisons and even as a means of torture in some countries. By the way Hithere my own personal situation could not be more different. I am fit, well, was working until my place of work was closed yesterday. I have a loving husband and children who all live very close. But I do see in my work some very lonely and isolated people. And I worry about them.

Hithere Sat 21-Mar-20 16:58:03

This won't go anywhere.

V3ra Sat 21-Mar-20 18:16:43

Salsaqueen my Dad (89) lives in an extra care apartment in the grounds of a nursing home.
He's been self-isolating for a week since the over 70s were told to.
He's had a sore throat so the carers checked his temperature (36c).
They call on him each morning and bring him a hot dinner every day.
They gave him a loaf of bread from the nursing home kitchen as he was running out.
They collected his prescription from the local pharmacy.
He's been for a walk around the garden since he's been feeling better.
I am so impressed with the level of support he's getting.
We've dropped some paracetamol into his letter box and left eggs outside.
It's tough as he's naturally sociable and loves his coffee shops but I keep stressing he must stay put!

SalsaQueen Sat 21-Mar-20 18:40:26

V3ra That's very good. I have been calling round to the residents who live alone, but from Monday I won't be doing that unless it is absolutely necessary.

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 14:59:53

How do your daughters know the age of the older people they see in the street. Do they walk up and ask them?

Just because someone is white haired and has a lined face it doesn't mean that they are over 70. Several people have expressed surprise when DH & I have said we are in quarantine, because we do not match their stereotypes of how people in their late 70s should look.

Challenge them to prove that the people they have seen were over 70

Mapleleaf Sun 22-Mar-20 15:08:15

My concern at the moment are the number of people (not necessarily the over 70’s either), heading off to the coast or country side in their droves. Do they think they are immune to this virus, or not carriers who might get bring it to others? I know it’s difficult - the bright sunny weather is tempting, and in normal times people would take adavantage and flock to these places. I ask myself, though, are these people being wise, fair or sensible in doing it now?

GagaJo Sun 22-Mar-20 15:11:56

It doesn't really matter if they are over 70 or not, does it? No one in MY house over 55 but we are isolating. Totally. It's the only way to stop it.

I saw my neighbour today. No, I don't know if he's over 70 but he's retired, grey haired and elderly. He was returning from the shops with a newspaper and a coffee. He'd been into the local coffee shop and the local supermarket.

My daughter pointed him out to me in horror.

We ALL need to stay in. Whatever our age. It isn't just about us getting ill, it's about us infecting others too.

Ellianne Sun 22-Mar-20 15:14:01

The seafront is packed where we are today. People of all ages and eating chips, ice creams etc. I'm not sure if they are all visitors but the local community pages are full of residents complaining and getting angry.

AGAA4 Sun 22-Mar-20 15:19:42

No they are not Mapleleaf. Snowden was swamped yesterday and it was impossible for people to keep their distance from each other. The National Trust has closed all their parks and gardens for the same reason.

It seems as though as many places are closed people feel they have to go somewhere!

Baggs Sun 22-Mar-20 15:40:25

I get what you're saying, lizbethann.

I feel the dichotomy between the absolute preciousness of liberty and the need for a clamp down, close down, lock down. I read about members of a mountain rescue team pleading that people don't go up mountains because if they have to be rescued and one of the rescue team becomes infected with the virus, the whole team will have to self-isolate/quarantine.

I fully understand the worry of the mountain rescue team.

At the same time I feel that people's freedom to walk in the mountains, as socially distant as is possible, should not depend on there being someone to rescue them if they get into a fix. I think that, as a society, we have forgotten how to allow people to take risks for which no-one else is responsible.

I'll probably get pounced on as a monster for trying to explain such thoughts and I daresay I've done it very badly but the thoughts are there. There is a dichotomy between freedom and responsibility and it is not always easy and straightforward.

Tweedle24 Sun 22-Mar-20 15:53:55

Baggs I do understand your feelings about liberty and, on the whole, agree with you but, if someone uses their freedom to walk up Snowden, or anywhere else for that matter, and is injured, the mountain rescue team will come out regardless. We are in extraordinary times and, perhaps, should accept a curtailment of liberty for the greater good.

Baggs Sun 22-Mar-20 16:11:04

I agree that we have to accept some curtailment of freedom for the greater good at the moment, tweedle. And, yes, mountain rescue teams will go out. Philosophically speaking they do not actually have to but personally and morally speaking they must because otherwise they'd never have volunteered.

growstuff Sun 22-Mar-20 16:14:13

"The greater good" isn't a popular concept! angry It's ironic really because we've heard so much about the "will of the people" over the last few years.

curvygran Sun 22-Mar-20 16:25:05

Well said Gagajo, absolutely agree with you .

grannysyb Sun 22-Mar-20 16:37:46

Gagajo, if we ALL stay in as you say, how are we meant to get our food? Online sites don't have any slots available for weeks, personally I have reasonable supply available, but some people literally live hand to mouth. I do have family and neighbours who can shop for us, but they have to go out to do so.

Lizbethann55 Sun 22-Mar-20 17:25:52

Gagajo if all you family are under 55 and your elderly neighbour is probably over 70 and had been to the supermarket, presumably to buy food which he needs as well as a paper and coffee, instead of being horrified and disgusted why didn't/doesn't your daughter, who must be quite young, ask if he needs any help or ask if he has enough food in? As a matter of interest, how is all your comparatively young family, getting its food? If it is online (lucky person to get a slot) why don't you ask him if he wants to add anything to your list. Or have you been panic buying and stockpiling? We have to help each other. Not point fingers and condem.

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 17:26:08

Gagajo, I accept your concerns, but the government has told us what they want us to do and I am doing what they say - that is social distancing. We are going out once a week to food shop in a supermarket during the time set aside for those over 70, which in my case means 7.30 in the morning when the store is as clean as it can be.

You may feel a need to gold plate these restrictions - a very British reaction. But I will not, unless the government advises me to.

Elegran Sun 22-Mar-20 17:56:52

It is a saying that "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

If people are to keep their freedom, they have to be constantly aware of just how much danger they are putting themselves (and other people) into. They need to decide, of their own free will, not to exercise their right to do what they want to, when and where they want to, if it is likely to cause them or other people to become ill or worse, or to make others feel obliged to put themselves in danger to rescue them from the results of their lack of caution.

Not to do this is selfish and antisocial - it is not a question of yielding feebly to someone else's edicts, but of understanding the situation and acting responsibly. Unfortunately the understanding and the will to act on it is sometimes faulty. Inevitably, some people may have to be forced to act reponsibly. Let us hope that does not lead permanently to a repressive society.

Baggs Sun 22-Mar-20 18:02:21

Well said, elegran.

Since I wrote my post upthread, I've come across commentators in the US and the UK talking about the same dichotomy, much more lucidly than me, I might add.

And yes, eternal vigilance.