Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Time for our Queen to speak?

(125 Posts)
hollysteers Sun 22-Mar-20 00:03:10

As the whole nation frets and talk of the wartime spirit prevails, would we be comforted by a speech from the Queen, as in the days after the death of Diana?
It’s interesting too that the Queen herself must be surrounded by people coming and going and we have a thread on whether a cleaner should come into our home, our own castle!

vampirequeen Sun 22-Mar-20 13:27:34

Someone mentioned the royals during the war which is why I mentioned the aluminium issue. I'm sorry if you don't like the things I say. I don't always agree with you but I don't accuse you of bitching.

EllanVannin Sun 22-Mar-20 13:29:36

Agreed Essex59.

Rufus2 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:33:45

Having paid our rates on time for several years to the Royal Borough of New Windsor, I feel entitled to ask "Please give her a break"
After all, I believe it's Mother's Day! hmm

Grandma70s Sun 22-Mar-20 13:35:57

She is going to make a televised appearance at some suitable point.

Theoddbird Sun 22-Mar-20 14:32:40

She issued a heart felt message to the nation the other day. Maybe you missed it...

oldgimmer1 Sun 22-Mar-20 14:37:10

I think one thing this situation has highlighted is just how irrelevant the Queen is.

sazz1 Sun 22-Mar-20 14:37:31

I'm anti royalist and proud of it. The queen and all her family showed their true colours with poor Diana used as a breeding machine. Became anti royalist after that.

annep1 Sun 22-Mar-20 15:01:39

Regarding the present situation Fine words butter no parsnips.

Regarding how dead relatives aquired their wealth which was passed on. If it wasn't aquired in a morally acceptable way you can actually do something about it. Some folk need to learn their history. It's all been said before. But some people just have a closed mind.

Bobdoesit Sun 22-Mar-20 15:09:12

I'm with Oopsminty. Give the poor woman a break vampirequeen She is at home with her family which is where she should be. I'm disappointed but not surprised at the comments on Gransnet why do so many people on here find it necessary to be unkind?

Anniebach Sun 22-Mar-20 15:16:24

Not poor Diana again please,

oldgimmer1 Sun 22-Mar-20 15:31:15

Why unkind? confused.

HMQ has a JOB. It's her duty to step up.

If she's not up to it, she should bow out.

Ok, she's not going to butter any parsnips with her words, but at least she can be seen to be visible.

ReadyMeals Sun 22-Mar-20 15:54:25

Actually it's not part of the Queen's job to make speeches about a virus - and never was no matter what age she was. Neither was it her job to make speeches about her son's ex-wives, alive or dead. Her job is to confer with the Prime Minister, read some documents, and open parliament. Everything else is optional. It's true we prefer our monarchs to go the extra mile but it is not their duty to do so.

eazybee Sun 22-Mar-20 16:16:03

Poor Diana used as a breeding machine??
Two children??

Anniebach Sun 22-Mar-20 16:26:25

eazybee. ?

Scrumptious Sun 22-Mar-20 17:53:19

Maybe we should remember this is a learning curve for our government too and so far for me they are doing their very best If everyone will not listen then lockdown / military is going to be their only option I was appalled to read of crowds at rural areas even today after everything that has been stated Stay safe & Take Care everyone please ❤️

Anniebach Sun 22-Mar-20 18:00:25

Snowdon in North Wales, the Brecon Beacons in Mid Wales
and the Sugar Loaf in Monmouth were swarming with people
yesterday.

Calendargirl Sun 22-Mar-20 18:05:58

Yes, AB, so was Skegness according to the Guardian I believe. People treating it all as the start of the holidays. Idiots.

Trisha57 Sun 22-Mar-20 18:20:27

I am not a Royalist or a republican, but if I had to choose between our Queen and Donald Trump, I know which side I'd come down on! Get a grip, save your energy for protecting your own families and community not for slagging off others...............

CarrieAnn Sun 22-Mar-20 18:46:13

Sick to death of people denigrating the Royal Family.Why shouldn't the Queen move to Windsor.She's ninety three for goodness sake.I presume the people ranting would prefer President Trump,or even worse President Blair!Rant over I could go on for hours.

Anniebach Sun 22-Mar-20 18:49:19

The Queen or Trump, Johnson, Corbyn

Thechanelkid Sun 22-Mar-20 19:00:49

Really? The queen? I know I’m not going to be popular saying this but (with respect) What on earth would she be able to say which could be relevant to everyday folk? The elderly vulnerable alone & worried? People with huge money worries? Jobs lost? Child care worries? Yes I know she’s done her duty all these years, but her highly privileged, cosseted life all these years couldn’t be more removed.

annep1 Sun 22-Mar-20 19:09:02

Choosing between the queen and Donald Trump doesn't mean anything really. Don't get the point.
Criticising the RF is not a personal attack on, nor slagging of an old lady.

Jaxie Sun 22-Mar-20 19:45:24

And what about another establishment figure who has gone quiet: the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Dalai Lama would have spoken by now I should think.

Calendargirl Sun 22-Mar-20 19:51:43

The A of C was featured on the news tonight.
But what do you want him to say Jaxie?
A bit like the Queen, he will be vilified if he does speak, and vilified if he doesn’t.
No win whatever.

gagsy Sun 22-Mar-20 19:59:26

This is just becoming unpleasant and nasty. Let’s just finish the discussion