Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Time for our Queen to speak?

(125 Posts)
hollysteers Sun 22-Mar-20 00:03:10

As the whole nation frets and talk of the wartime spirit prevails, would we be comforted by a speech from the Queen, as in the days after the death of Diana?
It’s interesting too that the Queen herself must be surrounded by people coming and going and we have a thread on whether a cleaner should come into our home, our own castle!

annep1 Sun 22-Mar-20 20:06:47

A question was asked. Did we not give the right answer?

gagsy Sun 22-Mar-20 20:13:27

This is getting unpleasant and nasty.
Shall we finish the discussion

Grandma70s Sun 22-Mar-20 20:23:48

She is going to speak on television when the time is right. I posted that many messages ago, but nobody seems to have noticed.

Many people don’t see the point of her addressing the nation, but many others would like it. It does no harm and may help some, so why not?

Anniebach Sun 22-Mar-20 20:28:29

Yes Grandma70s why not,

annep1 Sun 22-Mar-20 20:40:57

Some say why not. Some say why......

Anniebach Sun 22-Mar-20 20:53:36

Why be troubled if you don’t want to listen, your tv won’t blow
up

annep1 Sun 22-Mar-20 21:50:32

True Anniebach and your point is?
We were asked a question. Would we be comforted. Royalists can never let it go when people disagree. No I wouldn't. I can't think of any reason why I should be.

Anniebach Sun 22-Mar-20 22:06:11

annepl I replied to Grandma70’s post.

I agree, there is no reason for you to be comforted, I won’t be,
but there are people who may find comfort. I have never stood on a pavement to watch the queen pass, I wouldn’t sleep
outside a maternity hospital waiting for a Windsor birth or buy gifts for births or weddings. But people do these things so
I am sure thec message will mean much to them. So I fully
support a televised message from the Queen.

Because it won’t comfort me why should I be against something which may mean something to others.

Pixxie7 Mon 23-Mar-20 05:09:01

I am more annoyed at Meghan-Markle and Harry advising people how to cope with isolation. I find them patronising. The queen does her best leave her alone.

Davidhs Mon 23-Mar-20 07:49:49

I wonder if HM follows Gransnet or even posts anonymously, it must be really boring with all those flunkies attending to your every need.
It might be quite fun for her, there are those that don’t like her, although not liking each other is pretty standard on Gransnet anyway.

annep1 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:03:35

I haven't heard advice from H&M. But "the queen does her best" . Really?

Anniebach I get your point. I suppose some will be comforted although I will never understand. ....

annep1 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:13:38

Could someone attempt to justify this?

www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/aemp/uk-england-cornwall-51960855

annep1 Mon 23-Mar-20 13:39:09

No??

vampirequeen Mon 23-Mar-20 15:27:30

It seems to have disappeared off the BBC site annepl. What did it say?

annep1 Mon 23-Mar-20 18:57:07

www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-cornwall-51960855

I hope this works.

vampirequeen Tue 24-Mar-20 08:02:25

"Prince Charles voluntarily pays income tax on the income, but no corporation or capital gains tax."

They don't mention corporation or capital gains tax when they harp on about him paying income tax. He's a tax dodger.

90% of the money from leasehold goes back into the Islands but surely if the people who live there own the land then they'll invest more in their land/homes because it will make financial sense to. Rather than having a house than is worth next to nothing they'll have the incentive to keep the area well run in order to increase/maintain the value of their properties. What happens to the other 10% btw?

Hetty58 Tue 24-Mar-20 08:08:15

Time for our Queen to speak? I couldn't care less, personally but my first thought was 'Leave the old girl alone!'.

Anniebach Tue 24-Mar-20 08:50:15

Yesterday ! From Annepl

True Anniebach and your point is?
We were asked a question. Would we be comforted. Royalists can never let it go when people disagree. No I wouldn't. I can't think of any reason why I should be.

annep1 Tue 24-Mar-20 09:51:03

I am not talking now about the queen speaking. I'm asking what you think of Charles owning the Duchy of Cornwall.
There's a separate post if you care to comment.

Hazel731 Tue 24-Mar-20 10:25:40

Leave her alone, shes got a family and people she cares and loves and we are her larger family, we would not make our grandparents/parents do something they don't won't to at that age.

Anniebach Tue 24-Mar-20 10:44:43

we have no idea what is going on in her life.

This is so like the demands when Diana died, she was comforting her grandchildren, coming to terms with the death
of a woman she had known from a baby, coping with shock and she got

‘YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU ‘ , no the country did not need her.

LullyDully Tue 24-Mar-20 11:17:39

You are right Annie let's all do what we have been asked and leave the "old girl" to some peace for once. ( not meant disrespectfully. )

annep1 Tue 24-Mar-20 15:31:45

I'm not part of her family

vampirequeen Tue 24-Mar-20 15:42:29

People say that she always 'does her duty' no matter how onerous and that's why we fund and fete her. Now it's OK for her not to do her duty. If she's too old to do the job she should abdicate and let one of the others take over.

Anniebach Tue 24-Mar-20 16:43:51

It is not her duty