Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Is it naive to think people will do the right thing?

(95 Posts)
Greta Mon 23-Mar-20 09:12:12

I believe it is and I think we have now all seen that. A little while ago we were told ”there is plenty of food for everybody, no need to stockpile”. My immediate reaction was that that was the wrong thing to say because stockpiling was exactly what people were going to do.

Now we are witnessing the same behaviour in parks and beaches, i.e ignore advice and do what you want.

The government need to change tack; asking people to comply with requests just won't do.

janeayressister Mon 23-Mar-20 11:21:49

My children are doctors and warned us weeks ago that the situation would become apocalyptic. We are self isolating with knobs on. I am lucky that we live in a small village and we have all lived through a trauma together.
Boy are we organised. We have all identified the vulnerable. The villagers are planting veg. The teachers are preparing lessons using WhatsApp for the children.
I feel really glad to live here.
Unfortunately a young family man took his life yesterday. Everyone knows him and his dear family. Whether the miserable Covid-19 situation took its toll on his MH, we shall never know.
There are some stupid reckless people who are putting our lives in jeopardy. We need to instigate Marshall law.

Anrol Mon 23-Mar-20 11:31:17

I fear we have created this “doesn’t apply to me” attitude by the “my human rights” brigade.

ayse Mon 23-Mar-20 11:40:28

I think within the next couple of days the government will bring in far more stringent measures, then people will have no choice.

It’s a sad thing but is necessary under the circumstances.

In Spain the police are using drones to monitor people movements and dealing harshly with anyone who flouts the regulation. This morning BBC News said the French were now having to complete on line self certificates before they could go out. Only one person allowed to walk the dog.

Just because many people have little self-control!

grandMattie Mon 23-Mar-20 11:44:54

Isn’t it sad? My DM used to say she wished more people thought of their (social) duties before their rights.

Dee1012 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:47:35

A friend told me yesterday that at one point, Whitley Bay (I'm in the North East) had nearly a 5/6 mile tailback to get into the area....the arrogance of those having "a day out" staggers me.

Boz Mon 23-Mar-20 11:57:27

Unfortunately, the idea that the young would sail through this have given them too much confidence. They are banking on evading the virus or coming out of it quickly; hence the confidence to swan out and about. I think that the message that all are at risk should be emphasised by Governments,
My own DD blithely told me the family was having their hair cut to-day (fat chance) as surely hairdressers were essential workers!!! God give me strength.

CrazyGrandma2 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:58:36

Itsnotme because you cannot be certain that you are well! Some people carry the virus without showing any symptoms BUT can unknowingly pass it on to others. Does that help? Stay safe. flowers

TerriBull Mon 23-Mar-20 12:00:15

No they don't do the right thing, apropos of a load of dickheads working out together and generally huddled in groups, both Richmond and Bushy Parks are now closed. Of late, every time we have walked there, we'd be far more than the prescribed 2 metres apart from others, probably 5 metres, not a luxury that anyone gets when we have to pick up essentials from pharmacy or food shops. When we have been out walking it was pretty obvious all of the older demographic observed the "keeping apart" directive, but SOME younger people, presumably because gyms are now closed thought it was okay to work out outside, in close proximity, as if nothing has happened, many examples from the week-end of that and on the beach, truly shocking sad

Annecan Mon 23-Mar-20 12:01:56

The government have been trying to treat us like adults, assuming that we are rational civilised people who would act sensibly and follow the advice.
It seems we are not.
Why on earth would any sane person mingle with crowds, do they really believe that they are immune.
I have a friend who is still looking after grandchildren, saying that she doesn't want to let her girls down.
How selfish and inconsiderate can you be.
Unfortunately it's time to give us all a good slap and lockdown.

Ninat474 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:02:23

People don't realise how dangerous this virus is. Despite government advice that I can still visit supermarkets I've been told by ITU consultant that I should not be going there at all.
Government advice is ridiculous - its not only over 70s who can fall seriously ill. As for putting all 'key worker' children together in schools - these are the families who are at higher risk, especially those with medics for parents. Why should these people have to care for those with virus without suitable protection, then go home to their families?

Laurely Mon 23-Mar-20 12:03:03

A group of us, many over 70, spent last week setting up a Covid-19 Mutual Aid Group for our local town and districts, with a Facebook page and a Helpline for people who don't do online, to provide information and put people willing to volunteer in touch with those isolated who need help. We are applying for grants to help with costs and as emergency funds. Villages have set up their own Mutual Aid Groups, run by WhatsApp. It's a nice day, and shortly we will don our blue gloves and set off to deliver leaflets with Helpline number to the half of the village we didn't reach yesterday, and to the outliers - lots of people round here don't do online.

So: a lot of us are actively trying to do the Right Thing. And being over 70 doesn't mean you can't help. Try googling Covid-19 Mutual Aid - there may be a group near you.

Stay well, say safe.

Mealybug Mon 23-Mar-20 12:10:44

A lot of people have no thought whatsoever for others, it's this "I'm alright Jack" attitude. My local Tesco have a shopping hour for the elderly between 9am-10am three days a week, but the scavengers are there when the store opens at 6am and the shelves are then empty for the poor elderly who only want a small basket of food to keep them going. I asked one lady who went on the allotted day if it was just the elderly they allowed in and she said no it was a free for all but they gave them their own till! What use is that if there's no food to pay for.

Essex59 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:11:46

I'm sorry but, it isn't the governments fault that people aren't following advice. Obviously because some people are being selfish and stupid, then the government will be forced to act on their behalf and force people to do the right thing.
I'm just grateful that we have Boris and not Corbyn.

Theoddbird Mon 23-Mar-20 12:13:00

The are the same people who will complain when lock down happens.

Madmaggie Mon 23-Mar-20 12:16:38

We live in a small town. Theres a FB page for the area which is useful and invariably informative. Lots of posts lately though about bad behaviour towards shop staff, empty shelves etc. Yesterday a lady posted that whilst walking her dog & keeping distance from several fairly large groups of teens she was heckled and jeered at. They were joking about passing the virus to her!! They were old enough to know better. I'm afraid drastic steps will need to be taken because of this ignorance.

Jishere Mon 23-Mar-20 12:18:22

I have to agree Mealybug. Just finished work and I would so rather be self isolating. But at the local shops I saw a barber's open and the cafe next door. Why? I know people want money but surely rules are rules.
No one is invincible.

sodapop Mon 23-Mar-20 12:22:06

I agree Essex59 people should take responsibility for themselves and not blame the Government. Seems we do need a nanny state after all.

My husband was stopped by the Gendarmes this morning after shopping and had to produce his signed and dated paper to say what he was doing. The Gendarmes are no longer taking the papers they just have to be held up at the car window.

Lucca Mon 23-Mar-20 12:25:52

So how come we all seem to think the same but the powers that be are still hesitant to do lockdown?

Mollygo thank you for the Pepys quote

Rosina Mon 23-Mar-20 12:33:17

I can't believe some of these comments - 'It's not the public's fault'. What?? So people have to be locked up as they seemingly cannot see the sense of what they are being told? How many times do people need to have the dangers explained to them? Are most people really that dim, or perhaps we have got too much into lacking respect for authority and the habit of questioning everything.

ALANaV Mon 23-Mar-20 12:37:42

Its all very well asking people to self isolate ...BUT think of those working in for instrance the NHS ….they CANNOTA SELF ISOLATE ….and without testing being available have no idea which of them if any may be incubating the illness......so if Boris wants everyone to self isolate who is going to look after those who simply cannot do that ….? it is a huge quandary ...damned if you do, and damned if you don't !

Caro57 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:40:36

Sadly, yes! I have a (soon to be ex) friend who, aside from anything else, used to nurse and work in the DOH who thinks it’s all a ridiculous fuss. I am running out of patience with her thoughtless selfishness.
If people were sensible and responsible we could have, possibly, avoided a LockDown but it appears that is the only option for any hope

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 23-Mar-20 12:44:55

I was angry, saddened and ashamed to hear yesterday that the Tesco near us, having set aside an early hour's shopping for health workers, was 'stormed' by other people, pushing others aside, ignoring the staff there and loading their trolleys up. That also nurses who have stayed on to work additional duties are coming back to find they've been given parking tickets, and a paramedic who had been asked to leave his accommodation by his landlady to leave because she is afraid of the risk he poses. This is the lovely (not) city of Bristol. For goodness sake, the people, mayor and city council- just look at yourselves. angry

Lucca Mon 23-Mar-20 12:45:01

RosinA. Agreed it absolutely is the public’s fault but given they won’t respect the advice surely it has to become more than advice ?

galleyman Mon 23-Mar-20 12:45:59

I agree with Greta, people are scared on the one hand and believe by stockpiling, will protect their loved ones, with another group who don't believe the illness will happen to them. A don't care attitude which is unfortunate.
In contrast, since I have been 'self isolating' I've had cards and flyers from neighbours and local councillor/ support group, offering help in any way they can.
Such is the society we are in now.

NfkDumpling Mon 23-Mar-20 12:51:33

I heard this morning that there’s a bill going through Parliament today to give the police the powers they need. That may explain why Boris was trying to get people to do as they were advised, to use common sense. He wasn’t legally able to send the police out to enforce people staying in.