Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Is it naive to think people will do the right thing?

(95 Posts)
Greta Mon 23-Mar-20 09:12:12

I believe it is and I think we have now all seen that. A little while ago we were told ”there is plenty of food for everybody, no need to stockpile”. My immediate reaction was that that was the wrong thing to say because stockpiling was exactly what people were going to do.

Now we are witnessing the same behaviour in parks and beaches, i.e ignore advice and do what you want.

The government need to change tack; asking people to comply with requests just won't do.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:56:51

Alan if everyone stayed at home, as per the advice, then only the essential workers would be out and about and could go to the supermarkets to get food.
It’s the idiots who think that they are invincible along with the ones who don’t give a s**t that are causing the problems.
Sadly we will all be locked down because of the irresponsible ones.
I do think though, that the supermarkets need to take a fair amount of the blame for a lot of this, the tills could have been set up to limit products to 2 of anything , security on the doors and a separate queue for NHS workers, they did nothing, they just stood back and let it happen. Of course it’s win win for them isn’t it?

Tinydancer Mon 23-Mar-20 12:58:38

It's because you can have the virus with no or very little in the way of symptoms. You could then pass it on to a few who will pass it on to twice as many and so on. The nhs will soon become overwhelmed, already has in some places from what I've read. It has enough trouble coping on a regular basis both summer and winter now. Stay safe stay home and I hope you stay well.

Summerlove Mon 23-Mar-20 12:59:51

Whose fault is it if lock down happens because the public isn’t listening? Of course it’s the publics!

How could it not be?

Going out because it’s the first nice weekend and last one before lockdown in so unbelievably arrogant and stupid.

A virus doesn’t care when a government starts a lockdown.

We have known about this since early January. It appears that most governments around the world sat on their hands and hoped it would go away. That hasn’t happened. But we should be blaming the government support is not being more prepared. We should be blaming the public for is that they are unwilling to follow reasonable guidelines. None of this has anything to do with people wanting their human rights.

annodomini Mon 23-Mar-20 13:00:57

To answer the question in the heading: Yes it is naive to think people will do the right thing. One of those naive people appears to be our Prime Minister. It's no good his appealing to our better nature and 'asking' people to adhere to the 6' space. Only when there are troops and police on the streets, the parks and even the beaches, will our dozy populace take heed and accept distancing and isolation. If he finally decides to declare a State of Emergency, we know that his hand has been forced by the sheer ineptitude of our fellow citizens.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Mar-20 13:02:37

It is when you get articles such as the DM is publishing. Totally irresponsible

www.thecanary.co/trending/2020/03/22/the-daily-mail-just-reached-an-unbelievably-dangerous-new-low/

Summerlove Mon 23-Mar-20 13:07:04

That’s completely shocking wwm2

Willow500 Mon 23-Mar-20 13:10:00

I despair of the British public and am ashamed of the behaviour of some who think they can just flout the guidelines and not only ignore them but actually spend yesterday doing the exact opposite. It looked worse than a bank holiday weekend - how can they be so selfish and downright stupid!! angry

lemongrove Mon 23-Mar-20 13:14:11

It would have been naive if the government had actually thought that, but of course, they didn’t.
They gave the public a chance to do the right thing, and if they didn’t do the right thing, the rest of us would support new draconian measures being put in place without screaming about civil liberties.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Mar-20 13:17:59

I fully support the new powers that the government is taking upon itself this week. They are the same as if we are on a war footing.

However, in view of these enormous powers that are to last for a minimum of two years I think that democracy demands that the entire country is represented in the division making process that lies ahead.

In my view a government of national unity should be formed.

Hazeld Mon 23-Mar-20 14:11:56

My and my OH went to our local Asda this morning as we are getting a bit short on loo rolls and no, we haven't been stockpiling either, just trying to shop as normal. However there weren't any left at all, not one. It was also obvious that a lot of people were staying at home as there weren't a lot of customers either. So we popped into Aldi in the hope that they had some left and we were very surprised to see that they had quite a lot, not loads and loads but plenty for everyone. We were limited to 4 of any product but we just had the one pack of 9. Can't be greedy can we? Again there weren't many customers in there so it seems as though a lot of people are listening to the Government unless of course they have stockpiled so much food , they have no more room to put it. It also made me wonder if the reason Aldi has plenty of everything they normally sell is because a lot of people just don't like shopping there, it being a 'budget' supermarket. Do you think that is so? I would be interested to hear what you think.

Summerlove Mon 23-Mar-20 14:15:04

People are going out, because the guidelines apparently don’t start until Monday. Because that makes all of the sense in the world.

Sussexborn Mon 23-Mar-20 14:20:38

There are a number of children and babies in pushchairs being taken on these outings. Bad enough endangering yourself but people endangering children should be severely sanctioned.

trisher Mon 23-Mar-20 14:20:43

It seems to be quite a haphazard situation. Tescos near my DS had no milk at the weekend, my Sainsburys had loads. My other DS reports Aldi as being fine as well. No idea why.
I have always taken parcels in for my neighbour but he has a child, and today I've had my doorbell rung twice asking me to take parcels for him and I've refused. Am I being too careful and awful? My own family are staying away because they want me safe.

growstuff Mon 23-Mar-20 14:24:55

Ridiculous, isn't it Summerlove? All those little virus particles will be sitting in their corner, waiting for the start bell!

I've been out twice in the last two weeks. I haven't stockpiled, but I'm one of those people who has enough in my cupboards and freezer for a siege anyway. Even so, I need supplies of cat food, coffee, milk and whatever veg and I can find. I found tinned tomatoes in B & M. I've also discovered that my local pharmacist won't do home deliveries, so that could be a problem in future. Fortunately, I had some spare keys cut a few weeks ago, to give to some friends and neighbours - the key cutter has now closed, so I was lucky.

I think it's inevitable we'll move to a lock down, with some exceptions for grocery and pharmacy shopping.

flaxwoven Mon 23-Mar-20 14:40:01

Yes it is naïve. Looking at Gatwick arrivals, most have been cancelled. Looking at Heathrow arrivals, planes are still arriving from all over the world. Will people coming off planes be checked?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Mar-20 14:54:21

Update on my post 13.17

MPs have tabled an amendment which stipulates that the draconian powers the government is awarding itself must be renewed every 6 months and not 2 years as they had initially intended.

To avoid a major rebellion the government has acceded to the amendment.

growstuff Mon 23-Mar-20 14:59:36

Whitewave I'm glad about that. I think the measures are needed, but I was very uncomfortable about them staying long-term after the crisis is (hopefully) over.

AGAA4 Mon 23-Mar-20 15:04:32

Seems to be inevitable that we will go into lockdown due to the irresponsible behaviour of many people.

We have been strongly advised to self isolate for some groups or to use social distancing for others but those, mostly in the latter group, are ignoring this so the only option is to force them to do it.

We will all be in lockdown thanks to those who refuse to comply, for their own sake and others.

I have 2 doctors and

AGAA4 Mon 23-Mar-20 15:06:05

Posted too soon! I have two doctors and some nurses in my family and I fear for their safety

NanaAnnie Mon 23-Mar-20 15:22:41

Another 4 deaths announced in Scotland overnight, bringing the total to 14 which equates to 1,000 being infected. These statistics from Scotland's Chief Medical Officer who is urging EVERYONE to stay home, whether they are asymptomatic or not. It's unbelievable that the beaches and parks were awash with people over the weekend.

jocork Mon 23-Mar-20 15:26:03

I'm trying to follow the rules bu it isn't made easy. I phoned the doctor about a repeat prescription as I thought I might be able to order over the phone as I was self isolating. They said the paper order had to be brought to the surgery and put in the box on the outside wall! They said can't you get someone to bring it for you? I could have, but they'd have had to get it from me so requiring contact. In the end I drove there in the evening and put it in the box when no-one else was around. But I'll still need it collected from the pharmacy which is in Sainsbury's....

Xrgran Mon 23-Mar-20 16:01:39

I haven’t been out for over a week and today I went to buy essential goods so we can remain at home for another month.
While shopping I saw people who looked to have come out just to browse and in Waitrose were buying a bunch of flowers or a card! Some of the people were elderly and taken there by their family or carer.I suppose they though it was a nice thing to do.
Some children were just rushing around the shop while parents ignored them ?

Xrgran Mon 23-Mar-20 16:02:31

Estimated 250,000.000 will die in Britain alone ????

Bluecat Mon 23-Mar-20 16:21:34

Young people need to realise that the virus is not just "the boomer doomer." Their lives are at risk too.

Having said that, anyone see those bikers on the news last night? They were amongst the tourists visiting the Peak District, to the horror of the locals. They said they would keep coming out till Boris said they were not allowed. And they were old - certainly old enough to know better.

gagsy Mon 23-Mar-20 16:21:56

Young people have always thought they’re immortal and today’s young people are so used to having what they want, when they want, how they want.(With exceptions of course) The idea of sacrifice and the greater good wouldn’t even enter their heads.