Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Registering as a vulnerable shopper at Sainsbury's?

(54 Posts)
Genevieve489 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:59:27

I've been trying all morning to get in touch with Sainsbury's and become a vulnerable shopper so I can access priority delivery slots. We're both 70+ and my husband has a serious health condition. The phone is permanently engaged. Is there any other way to do this? There doesn't seem to be any 'age' facility on the personal account details.

EDIT BY GNHQ: We've put together a page of information on how to register as a vulnerable customer and what slots the major supermarkets have made available.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 31-Mar-20 20:57:03

Charleygirl5 I think all the supermarkets are only showing 14 days in advance and nothing beyond. I'm going to start checking every day but wonder at what time they list another day. After midnight perhaps ! I did a click and collect with Asda today and wanted to book another - all dates over next 14 gone.

The gov.uk link doesn't list disabled or 70+ as being vulnerable.

I, like others, in about a week, am going to have to do a shop. We're 70+ and scared. My county has a fast rising rate in deaths (we don't live in London either).

Someone's posted there is a form to fill in on Sainsbury's site. I can't find it.

Iam64 Wed 01-Apr-20 09:32:04

Woodmouse - google it, the Sainsbury link will come up

Helennonotion Wed 01-Apr-20 09:46:30

This may have already been posted on another thread but it may be useful for some. I can't offer any feedback as I don't know anyone who has used it, but it may be worth a try.
www.morrisons.com/food-boxes/

Boz Wed 01-Apr-20 09:57:44

I have had no trouble getting slots but then the two S/markets I use - Waitrose and Sainsbury have had me on their system for years. I have been internet shopping for about 10 years knowing the day would could when I couldn't get to the shops for one reason or another.
There is little room for new shoppers unless they up their deliveries.
Both Supermarkets have been wonderful IMO. No complaints.

Chestnut Wed 01-Apr-20 10:08:02

Boz how did you get slots? I am registered with Waitrose and also Tesco but can't get either. I am not 'extremely vulnerable' so can't get registered with gov.uk but neither shop seems to realise I'm over 70 and have been a regular home delivery person for years due to mobility issues.

Chestnut Wed 01-Apr-20 10:11:13

By the way, the gov.uk 'extremely vulnerable' registration is pants. I know someone who is definitely extremely vulnerable and waiting for heart surgery but doesn't qualify! His health is very frail indeed but he doesn't fit the criteria.
And where do the blind or disabled fit into all this?

Boz Wed 01-Apr-20 10:21:08

Supermarket release slots in bite size chunks. Just keep trying several times a day. Good luck.

Frogs Mon 06-Apr-20 19:58:44

My husband and I are both well into our 70s and I've managed to register with Sainsburys for priority home delivery slots. Great - I thought.
However when I get on the delivery page there are no slots available to book so I'm no better off now than when I randomly managed to get a click and collect last week - just by the luck of the draw.

NfkDumpling Mon 06-Apr-20 20:08:27

I haven’t managed to even register with Sainsbury’s - it said they weren’t taking any more registrations. Registered with Tesco, and the first page said to click at the bottom of the page if you were vulnerable - but nothing there. I think perhaps it was on the next page, the one you can’t get to until you have a delivery slot?

BBbevan Mon 06-Apr-20 21:38:29

I had a message at the weekend. I can access one delivery slot a week as I am one truly elderly and vulnerable .

Frogs Mon 06-Apr-20 23:01:03

BBbevan - the same message that I had but when I log in there are no slots available to just book - presumably I need to keep checking for slots to be loaded but it's guess work as to when they'll be on there.

BBbevan Tue 07-Apr-20 14:02:18

Frogs I quite agree. This morning I saw both Sunday and Monday slots vacant on the Sainsbury’s website. I clicked on one for next Monday. It said ‘checking’ Then ‘this slot is taken’ and all the others disappeared. I don’t understand it. Where is the priority ?

Nanachoochoo Tue 14-Apr-20 13:46:24

I have been accepted by Sainsburys as a vulnerable person. But in over three weeks I have been unable to get a slot. Managed to get one with Tesco by trying at 2 AM, but that's not due for a couple of weeks yet. My daughter has had Sainsbury's deliveries for a long time. She can still get a weekly delivery. Nobody in her family is vulnerable. Suggests that Sainsburys are still prioritising their loyal customers over the vulnerable. Unfortunately she does not live near enough to me to help me with food

Aepgirl Tue 14-Apr-20 18:19:35

I was astonished to read on your site that Waitrose says it has contacted all over 70s offering priority delivery slots. I am a Waitrose cardholder, as are many of my friends who are over 70, and none of us has received anything like this from Waitrose. All I have received is regular e-mails telling how well they are doing to help the vulnerable and elderly. Also my son-in-law who also holds a Waitrose card and has received a ‘vulnerable’ letter has had no notification from Waitrose!

NfkDumpling Tue 14-Apr-20 19:01:16

I was unable to register with Sainsbury's because, although we have two Nectar cards (one each), neither has an email address attached as we've always shopped in store.

We have a Tesco nearby and do shop there but have never bothered with a card. We're not very store faithful. I was able to register with them and after many attempts managed to get through on the phone. She checked DH was on the very vulnerable list and magically our webpage changed so we could book a slot. The shopping came in two days. The day after we had a call from Tesco to say we were on their list!

But, when I tried to book another slot there was nothing available for three weeks and we were no better off than if there was no vulnerable list. I have now managed to grab another slot and feel quite triumphant even though we'll be on short rations by the time the delivery comes!

GrannyHaggis Tue 14-Apr-20 20:57:36

My DH is an extremely vulnerable person and has registered with Government and has a letter from NHS. The only supermarket which has contacted us is Asda, where we only shop on the odd occasion. Nothing from any of the others in spite of shopping weekly with Sainsbury. Certainly heard nothing from Waitrose in spite of what it's saying on GN news sheet.DD has arranged several deliveries for us from Tesco and C&C from Sainsbury and I've managed to get one on my own for the end of April. It's a fiasco really and seems to be the luck of the draw if you manage to speak to a person or get through on their website.

Foxyferret Wed 15-Apr-20 11:47:10

My mother is 94 and housebound but because she does not have one of the listed ailments on the gov web site, she is not considered vulnerable and cannot register. She has shopped over the phone with Sainsbury’s for years putting in regular orders. There must be a lot of people like her who are very elderly, not able to get to the shops and don’t have relatives close by. How can you not be vulnerable at 94 and housebound? I think Sainsbury’s should have given priority to the very vulnerable and NHS staff first, then their vulnerable regular shoppers second. It seems a lot of people who are capable of going to the shop and who have never shopped at Sainsbury’s before are getting slots instead. There must be people like my mother all over the country who are struggling to get supplies and trying to get through on the phone is impossible. I am shopping around on line for her trying to get local contacts and get food to her from a distance.

Rosalyn69 Wed 15-Apr-20 14:23:55

I’m over 70 and have had priority slots from Sainsbury’s up until now but it seems not any more. No slots at all available.
I have a click and collect from Morrison’s on Friday and am getting one of their meat boxes. No idea what it will be like.
Maybe one needs to spend all day refreshing!!!!

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 29-Apr-20 18:31:58

Iam64 Four weeks ago I commented about not finding a form to fill in on the Sainsbury website to say I was in the vulnerable category (70+). I have a NECTAR card so they should know I am 70+

Iam64 you said : Woodmouse - google it, the Sainsbury link will come up. Please post a link here.

The only form is the one on GOV.UK that sainsbury say to fill in, The GOV.UK don't consider 70+ in the vulnerable category.

After 5 weeks I have never been able to get a Sainsbury delivery slot, Morrison's are better in that they do list all dates (even if it is to show that they are 'sold'.

Tried Waitrose last week and they recognised my age (have a Waitrose card) and I was able to book at delivery within 10 days. Brilliant.

BlueSky Wed 29-Apr-20 19:02:00

I'm a regular Sainsbury's online shopper and I've been able to carry on getting weekly deliveries even if I have to book any time/day available rather than my usual day. Not sure this is because I'm 70+ (I have a Nectar card so they would have my DOB) or because I'm a regular shopper.

arosebyanyothername Wed 29-Apr-20 19:41:23

I got a click & collect for Tesco on Monday just after midnight, there were only a few times available but it’s just good to get one.
I’ve been looking regularly and it’s the first slot I’ve found in 3 weeks.
Think they hold back slots for the most vulnerable and then release any that aren’t taken up.
Given up on Sainsburys ?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 29-Apr-20 21:29:02

I have shopped at Tesco in store only monthly in the past but they are the only one that has offered us a home delivery slot. They have employed masses of new drivers, and new slots are added quite frequently for this area.
I will never bother to shop with Sainsbury or Waitrose again, as although being a regular shopper at both couldn't even register with Sainsbury, despite being over 70.

Doodledog Wed 29-Apr-20 21:51:33

I don't think that being over 70 is enough in itself to get someone a slot. Sainsbury's are not, as far as I know, taking new customers for delivery, and neither are Ocado.

Sainsbury's allocate slots to the vulnerable (regardless of age) first, then release them to regular online shoppers. If there are any left, they go on 'general release' - ie to people who have not been regular online shoppers, and are not on the vulnerable/shielded list.

I think that this is fair. If you are vulnerable, you are looked after (if the system works!) and should either get something arranged by the council, or a priority supermarket delivery slot, regardless of how you shopped before the virus.

If you are not vulnerable, but have shopped online regularly, you can continue to do so without the slots being overwhelmed by people who usually prefer to shop inshore. From the point of view of the supermarkets, this makes sense, as when this is over they will want to hang on to their regular online customers, who will appreciate the loyalty.

From the point of view of shoppers, if you have used online shopping for years, your reasons for doing so won't have gone away because of the virus. Maybe you live far away from a supermarket. Maybe you don't drive, so can't manage click and collect, or carrying shopping home. Maybe you are agoraphobic. Maybe you are a single parent with young children. Maybe you work long hours and aren't available during the day. Maybe you are a carer. Maybe you just like to shop online.

There are many reasons why people use delivery, and they are by no means all health or age-related.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 30-Apr-20 21:19:16

I take your point Doodledog but Sainsbury state on their website we are doing our best to prioritise ELDERLY and VULNERABLE customers.
I appreciate they cannot deliver to everyone, but Tesco has made a pretty good effort by employing many new drivers..
Having shopped during the priority hour for the elderly that many supermarkets offer, I would not like to repeat the experience. I know quite a few elderly acquaintances who feel quite unsafe going into some supermarkets.
Far too busy.

KD1946 Tue 19-May-20 16:38:15

We have tried registering as we are both over 70. Neither Waitrose or Sainsbury’s are interested. Just keep saying we are not eligible. We both have my Waitrose & nectar cards. Tried shopping at Sainsbury’s but this wasn’t good. Waitrose was much better as it wasn’t so crowded but some customers don’t seem to know the rules. So we will just have to keep going ourselves!