Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I'm a little speechless!

(57 Posts)
Helennonotion Wed 25-Mar-20 16:39:37

twitter.com/Lilliemaenot/status/1242410885236260864

Not sure if this link will work if you don't have twitter but here goes. I can't think of any words to describe how I feel about this! Just listen.

PamelaJ1 Thu 26-Mar-20 23:30:23

We are holed up in a hotel in Perth. We will be incarcerated until the 29th. We have to put everything we discard into a clinical waste bag. I think that it will be pretty certain by then that we are not infected.
On the 29th we will get a taxi to the airport. Taxi drivers are disinfecting everything so contact with him will be limited and should be safe.
Then, we enter the airport ready to share a plane with hundreds of others, many of whom will have been out and about. I hope they have all been careful.

maddyone Fri 27-Mar-20 00:06:21

Soon after we were advised to not make any unnecessary journeys, my sister decided to travel on the train from Cheshire to the south coast where I live. She wanted to see our mother who lives nearby in a sheltered apartment. I had said sister could stay at our house before the advice was issued, but then I became somewhat reticent about her staying here. I had already tried to put her off coming but she was determined. She decided to stay at Mum’s instead and then went in and out to the shops most days. By this time the advice to self isolate had been given. She then travelled back to Cheshire by train. By doing what she wanted she put myself, my husband (because we did agree to pick her up from the station, but didn’t return her to the station at the end of her visit) and my mother, not to mention herself, in danger of catching the virus.
After she returned home she sent me a series of vile texts because I had backtracked on allowing her to stay in my home. Before she came I had advised her not to come because the government had recommended no further unnecessary journeys.
The vile texts have quite upset me to be honest.

Whiff Fri 27-Mar-20 06:56:45

Maddyone sorry your sister has treated you this way. But to be honest she's an idiot. Who on earth would risk the lives of the people they say they love. Totally irresponsible. When my daughter brought my mother's Day card and present she put it in my hall and then shouted to get it. She stood with my son in law and grandson by the fence. To protect us all. We have play dates via wapps thing on the phone with them and my son's family. My son and family are coming to the end of 2 weeks isolation because my oldest grandson had a fever. I won't need any shopping for 3 weeks and then been told in no uncertain terms they will do it. And leave it in the hall.

What's the old saying you can pick your friends but not your relatives.

Don't get sad about her attitude just get angry always found that a far better emotion.

Sorry again about they way she has treated you.

Pikachu Fri 27-Mar-20 07:48:54

Big party on at a house near our dog waking field yesterday.

maddyone Fri 27-Mar-20 15:59:17

Thank you Whiff it’s helpful to me to know someone from outside the family thinks her behaviour poor. Even my mother has defended her. I recognise that they both wanted to see one another but to behave so foolishly and selfishly is almost unbelievable at this time. Of course my children were advising me all along that she shouldn’t come, and her own children, who she doesn’t speak to except for one out of the four, they rang up my mother and tried to persuade her to try to put her journey off for a while, but my mother refused to do that. They still care for my sister even though she doesn’t appear to care for them.
However it’s the vile texts that have upset me the most. I’m not sure whether to respond or not. Thank you Whiff for responding.

callgirl1 Fri 27-Mar-20 23:53:04

We have carers coming in twice a day to my daughter, they wear gloves and face masks, hopefully that will be enough.
My son is being treated for lung cancer, he and his wife have been told to stay home until June.
Staying in isn`t much of a hardship to us, we hardly ever go out anyway, the hardship is not seeing the family. My new great granddaughter will be walking before we see her again, at this rate!