Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Why dont people understand the words ‘stay at home’ !

(139 Posts)
Sophiasnana Fri 27-Mar-20 10:55:01

I am going a little stir crazy, having spent the last five days in my home and garden, apart from a short walk every day. Abiding by the ‘rules’. However yesterday the nice 74 year old lady across the road went for three runs in her car, then her ‘manfriend’ arrived to stay. Next door walked their dogs twice and went out in their car twice. The gent on the other side, as he has always done, went off in his car four times! What for? It frustrates me as the more people ignore the rules, the longer this will go on for. Rant over! ???

25Avalon Fri 27-Mar-20 15:00:54

I'm afraid some people are just ignorant idiots. That's why the self distancing and isolating laws need to be strictly enforced by the police and if need be the army. Flexiblefriend I am so sorry to hear about your dog. What a sad time for you. My dog was pts last November and you were one of those who sent me kindly words.

B9exchange Fri 27-Mar-20 15:01:54

I do worry about those relishing the chance to inform on their neighbours, that is not the sort of society I want to live in. Fortunately the police ignored the man ringing them up to complain that his neighbour had gone out twice yesterday and asking them to arrest him!

rafichagran Fri 27-Mar-20 15:06:55

Please be tolerant. I am a key worker, I went shopping yesterday. A very old man was out, my partner was with me because I have a problem with my leg at the moment. Hospital appointment cancelled. This old man got to close to me and I politely asked him to move away. We realised he may have been deaf and my partner thought he may have dementure as he really did not understand.
My partner and I both said he maybe on his own and has no one to help him. Not everything is as it seems.
Could your neibours be volunteering or helping adult children?

SalsaQueen Fri 27-Mar-20 15:31:23

I'm still working (mornings only, Warden of sheltered housing), but a friend of mine is not working today, so she and her husband were going to go to the park for a picnic.....it's not a ruddy holiday.

Atqui Fri 27-Mar-20 15:33:44

We ate avoiding shops , and not seeing any friends or family,but will need to drive 5 miles to collect prescriptions soon. If we go for a walk in our village we will probably come across several people doing the same ,especially dog walkers.If we drive a mile up the road we could walk on open moorland and not meet a soul( or at least be far more than 2 m apart instead of passing on a footpath. It doesn’t make sense.

Floradora9 Fri 27-Mar-20 15:48:50

A note of warning: I know someone who went on a holiday we refused to go on because of the danger at the airport and the destination . She is now on a ventilator in our local hospital .

Summerlove Fri 27-Mar-20 16:25:09

The elderly are obeying the rules, some of the young are just NOT and it p*sses the pants off me.

Not all of the elderly are complying. That’s as ridiculous as saying all of the young or not. There will always be some people from all sections of age groups who will not comply.

growstuff Fri 27-Mar-20 16:35:38

That's my observation too Summerlove and it really is making me very angry.

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 16:42:21

The man in Perth who was walking down the street saying he had COVID19 was not going to obey the rules.

Having watched footage of several police officers trying to order him to Go Home and him refusing time and again and trying to move towards them, it is time for more protection for police officers and more powers. Perhaps there should be an armed officer with each patrol group.

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 16:44:03

I know of at least two people here who went into hospital for operations and have caught the virus in hospital. One has died.

Alygran Fri 27-Mar-20 16:45:07

I have been for a walk in my village. Was passed by several people in cars bringing their dogs for a walk here. Came home to this message from the police.

We are still seeing people drive to remote locations to take their daily exercise, walk their dogs or have “drive around to clear their head”.

I would ask those people to pause for a moment and think about this:

Yesterday whilst out shopping you picked up a can of beans, 10 minutes before you a person who had picked up the virus in the last 5 days, so wasn’t showing any symptoms, picked up the same can of beans and has now transferred the virus to you. Today you have driven and gone for a walk on the moors, on your way home your car breaks down and you have to call a recovery service now you passed the virus on the breakdown driver. Or, you have a minor RTC, the Police attend, chances are now the Officers who attend have picked up the virus along with the person who you had the RTC with. Or even worse, it’s a serious RTC, Police, Ambulance, Fire and Air ambulance have to attend all now who have the potential to be affected.

Please be part of the solution, not the problem

Please Stay at Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives.

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 16:46:33

Flexiblefriend I am sorry to hear that, they do leave a hole in your heart when they go.

FarNorth Fri 27-Mar-20 16:48:21

But with the amount you can buy at a time limited, he is finding he needs to more often than he would like.

This is an annoying one - attempts to ensure fair shares mean that more trips to shops are needed, increasing the risk.

MiniMoon Fri 27-Mar-20 16:52:27

My husband has an early morning cleaning job at a builders merchant's. Today was its last day and is closing until the covid 19 crisis is over. This morning, a family of 4 turned up looking for door handles. The manager told the father that door handles are not essential items, and that he was putting everyone at risk by coming out. An argument ensued, the manager stomped off and locked the door. The family returned to their car and drove away. My husband was astonished that a father should think shopping for door handles was a good idea!

FarNorth Fri 27-Mar-20 16:55:10

The elderly are obeying the rules, some of the young are just NOT

That's why we are following the rules - to protect ourselves from others.

JenniferEccles Fri 27-Mar-20 16:55:40

I had to do a supermarket shop today so I phoned my elderly neighbour to see if he wanted anything.

I returned with his and my shopping.

An hour later the neighbour phoned me to say so sorry but he had forgotten a few things he needed.

So, off again in the car I went.

I guess if any other neighbour had been watching my comings and goings I may have been written about on here !

MerylStreep Fri 27-Mar-20 17:03:28

I too am getting a little peeved off with anecdotes ( and pictures on line) of young people.
If you could see what is happening at my friends sheltered housing complex you would be horrified ? The world and his wife are in and out of the complex all day.
No wardens on site. No cleaning being done. A lot of confused residents who don't understand that they can't hug and kiss any more.

MerylStreep Fri 27-Mar-20 17:07:24

JenniferEccles
Same here. OH shopped for us and 2 other households. Now another neighbour has called and said she has no bread, so he's off again.

H1954 Fri 27-Mar-20 17:09:57

Oh dear FlexbleFriend, that is so sad. It's never a good time to euthanase a pet but this is an awful time for you to have to do it!
My OH lost his dear Dad two days ago, not Covid 19 related and actually expected but still a very difficult time.
Thoughts are with you when you visit the vet.

Callistemon Fri 27-Mar-20 17:10:23

I wonder how people are coping who are living alone and perhaps in the early stages of dementia and can't quite grasp what is happening and what they need to do.
A very elderly friend has been told the carers won't be going in any more (they went in 4 times a day). His tiny wife is trying to cope as best she can but she can't lift him.

sandelf Fri 27-Mar-20 17:19:25

Why we should NOT move any unnecessary distance.

I feel perfectly well and get in the car and drive 5 miles to lovely 'local' spot for a walk... Stir Crazy from Clean Town 5 miles away in opposite direction, gets in his car and drives to lovely 'local' spot. I open a gate along the path - so does Stir Crazy. Four days later, I get ill. By bad luck Stir Crazy has picked it up from the gate I opened. And is unknowingly spreading it in Clean Town before he too becomes ill. If lots of us do this simple, apparently harmless thing - you have completely wildfire transmission into new areas.

FlexibleFriend Fri 27-Mar-20 18:12:06

Well visiting the vet was a bit surreal, we had to hand the dog over in the waiting room to the vet nurse who said due to the current circumstances we'd be able to say goodbye after the deed was done and the vet and nurse would leave him alone. To be fair he wasn't really with it so to make things easier on everyone we were happy to leave after handing him over, he didn't even notice what was going on thankfully. Doesn't stop me feeling mean though.
I'll get a phone call sometime next week to collect his ashes.

Susan56 Fri 27-Mar-20 18:35:17

One of our neighbours,70 years old is carrying on as normal.Several trips out in his car every day and family over for the afternoon.A young couple who also live in our small close have had friends over today.
I find it all so upsetting.We would love to see our family but are abiding by the rules.I feel these people who are going about their usual lives will become superspreaders,going to different supermarkets etc so selfish.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 27-Mar-20 18:46:57

There are always some who disregard the danger they put others in by exercising their own freedom, which I think is very selfish.

It's bad enough having to go out for essential supplies, without going on unnecessary drives, where you can be involved in an accident or breakdown, tying up essential services.
When considering how to behave it's best to imagine that you have the virus.

We are not used to our freedom being curtailed in this country (UK), but it's about time we started taking responsibility for how our actions may affect or possibly kill others.

sandelf Fri 27-Mar-20 19:09:33

Susan56 - notify your local Police - he is a danger.