Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Why dont people understand the words ‘stay at home’ !

(139 Posts)
Sophiasnana Fri 27-Mar-20 10:55:01

I am going a little stir crazy, having spent the last five days in my home and garden, apart from a short walk every day. Abiding by the ‘rules’. However yesterday the nice 74 year old lady across the road went for three runs in her car, then her ‘manfriend’ arrived to stay. Next door walked their dogs twice and went out in their car twice. The gent on the other side, as he has always done, went off in his car four times! What for? It frustrates me as the more people ignore the rules, the longer this will go on for. Rant over! ???

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 16:30:01

As far as I'm aware nobody on my street is counting how often peoples cars leave their drive.

Summerlove Tue 31-Mar-20 16:31:40

so time served already isn’t taken into account, you know, like they do for prison sentences

Yes, Keeping people safe, and making sure the hospital system isn’t overwhelmed is completely like a prison sentence.
??‍♀️

Marydoll Tue 31-Mar-20 16:46:21

Daddima, my husband took great delight in telling me that.

I will be incarcerated for my 65th birthday, but will be released from prison, just before his 70th! Nae luck at all!

I will continue to make the best of things and just be grateful for the kind words and support here on GN. (Well most of the time) wink

Marydoll Tue 31-Mar-20 17:15:07

Daddima, I may be wrong, but I can see what you mean about a prison sentence.

I have been isolated for six weeks already and the thought of absolutely no contact with anyone, not being able to put a foot over the doorstep for another twelve weeks, hospital treatment postponed and not being able to hug my wee granddaughter, when I used to see her most days, is indeed a bitter blow, when you are already suffering chronic ill health. June seems a lifetime away.

Unless you have experienced it, you have absolutely no idea what it is like, so in a way it is like a prison sentence, albeit in more salubrious surroundings. It is not facetious to liken it to a prison sentence, because that's what it is, like it or not.
At least in prison, you are guaranteed medication and food, not easy for those of us, who have to rely on others and have experienced difficuly accessing medication.
The toll on mental health will be enormous, it's a very lonely existence for some.

However, it is the only way those at very high risk can stay safe and not be a burden on the already overstretched health service. We just have to get on with things.
However, people having a go, just doesn't help at all!

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 17:23:37

I dont think that people who express how it FEELS are in any way dusagreeing that it is necessary..

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 17:23:49

Disagreeing

Luckygirl Tue 31-Mar-20 17:25:58

Sadly one of my young adopted relatives is in prison - like many prisoners he is highly vulnerable with mental health problems and he has had a very difficult life, being drug-addicted at birth - and he is in his cell on his own for 23 hours a day as there are too few fit staff to supervise them if they are let out. He truly is paying the price for his crime. My worry is that the prisoners will be like powder kegs ready to explode during the hour they can move around the prison.

Daddima Tue 31-Mar-20 17:36:31

Summerlove, it was a joke, but, as Marydoll says, it’s something we’ll need to experience, and maybe reminding yourself you’re keeping people safe and protecting the health service will wear a bit thin after many weeks of isolation.

growstuff Tue 31-Mar-20 18:32:22

Marydoll It's my 65th birthday tomorrow, so we'll have to celebrate together (apart) hmm. It certainly will be an unforgettable birthday!

Summerlove Tue 31-Mar-20 18:34:36

It just seems a bad joke is all.

Much of the world is on lockdown. By comparison, it’s actually a pretty light lockdown in the U.K.

Is it hard being inside? Absolutely. But it’s better than dying.

Marydoll Tue 31-Mar-20 19:22:41

Summerlove, I had already been told weeks ago, if I got Covid19, I probably wouldn't survive it, so I'm well aware of the need to stay safe and not leave home or have contact with anyone. That is why I have been in isolation for the last six weeks, before all the media hype.

I was also told weeks ago, I shouldn't go to my daughter's wedding, which was very difficult. It didn't matter in the end anyway, as it was cancelled.

New treatment in hospital that I have been waiting months for, which would at least have given me a fighting chance, was cancelled on Monday. This treatment was actually given to desperately ill Coronavirus patients in China and they survived. My consultant told me if I had already started the treatment, they would have continued it, but it was too risky for me to even come near a hospital to begin it.

When I was told that if anything went wrong, they couldn't guarantee that life saving treatment would be available, I knew then I was in deep trouble.

You bet it's damned hard being isolated and forgive me if I make a joke of being in prison, rather than having a hissy fit! I'm also trying to preserve my sanity, instead of wallowing.

I despair, we are supposed to be supporting each other. sad

Luckygirl Tue 31-Mar-20 19:26:57

Marydoll - I am sorry that your circumstances are so very difficult. We are living through some terrible times just now.

Summerlove Tue 31-Mar-20 19:32:35

I’m sorry things are so hard for you right now.

My point was simply that we aren’t all in prison. We are all isolating to some degree and all in this together.

I wasn’t trying to be unsupportive, but looking at this like a prison sentence surely isn’t the most positive way to go about life.

Although, by your last line of we are all meant to be supporting each other, I assume you mean only those who feel your joke was funny? As you just tried to tear a strip off of me. Interesting as you have no idea how I (or other who found it distasteful) are coping.

Marydoll Tue 31-Mar-20 19:32:46

Luckygirl, thanks. smile
Sorry about the rant! sad We are all struggling, trying to keep on top of things and people nipping away doesn't help at all.

I'm going to plan another maths puzzle for GN tomorrow. It keeps me busy and that should hopefully keep me out of trouble.

Summerlove Tue 31-Mar-20 19:33:25

People nipping? Really?

Nice and supportive

Marydoll Tue 31-Mar-20 19:46:13

I wasn't tearing a strip off you. If you have read any posts of mine on GN, you will know that is not my style.
I was annoyed at your response to Daddima, you could have just let it go. In fact, it was Daddima, made the comment first and I agreed.
For someone, who is used to being out and about, it is like a prison for me, but I'm a very strong person and I will get through it, just like I have got through every other crisis in the last few years.

I'm sorry you are feeling so low, but you are not the only one. The lockdown isn't pretty light, in my own circumstances, I found that statement quite dismissive.

None of us know what others are going through and likewise, you do not know the half of what I'm coping with.
We have ruffled each other's feathers, so perhaps it is best that I just retreat from this thread.

Callistemon Tue 31-Mar-20 20:10:26

What a spiteful thread.

Instead of playing Devil's Advocate on several threads, notanan, why not be kinder to those who are struggling, anxious and just plain frightened?
If you have your own deep concerns and worries, I'm really sorry and most of us do. There is no need to post them or share them, but I would have thought this would give you more insight and more empathy.
I hope you will be all right and can manage; have you looked to see if your neighbourhood has any groups to help you?

Summerlove give it a rest please.

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 20:56:09

I hope you will be all right and can manage; have you looked to see if your neighbourhood has any groups to help you?

Why?
What help do I need?
Im just LUCKY to not have horrible neighbours (as far as I know) counting how often my car moves!

Summerlove Tue 31-Mar-20 21:05:13

I’m sorry you felt the fact that the UK is not on as severe lockdown as other countries in the world was dismissive.

Call, Interesting timing to come in and tell me to give it a rest when you could’ve just let it go yourself

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 21:06:00

I mean how does it help anyone or anything to be counting how often neighbours move their cars?

This sort of thing is plain nasty and nothing constructive comes from it

Callistemon Tue 31-Mar-20 21:19:06

I didn't say it was right.
I wasn't defending the OP, rather another poster whom you both attacked wh is find isolationmdifficut for reaso s she has already posted.

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 21:23:46

I defended the poster who felt they were imprisoned???.

Callistemon Tue 31-Mar-20 21:25:13

notanan
You said your condition was not good and you may possibly soon become incontinent, that your mental health may deteriorate and that you have to go out yourself to two different pharmacies in the car to fetch yours and your DH's medication, therefore I suggested that there are groups of people who are willing to help those in such difficulties.

If you prefer to be independent, that is fine, your choice and well done as long as you are able. But help is out there in most areas.

Greymar Tue 31-Mar-20 21:30:36

Lets not beat about the bush, its bloody awful having everything you loved and valued and looked forward to taken away and being confined to base camp.

Some resilient souls make a go of it, some homebuddies thrive on it, a lot of us are fed up to the back teeth.

notanan2 Tue 31-Mar-20 21:31:02

You said your condition was not good and you may possibly soon become incontinent, that your mental health may deteriorate
3rd (hypothetical) person. Not first hmm Neighbours who give flippant replies to pitck fork types may have good reasons they dont wish to broadcast

and that you have to go out yourself to two different pharmacies in the car to fetch yours and your DH's medication
Yes. We went out as much as the OPs villified neighbour when we had to go round the houses for prescriptions . The opening times were fluid and we could not plan it all into one trip same time as food.