Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Anyone dissillusioned with a friend

(95 Posts)
JonesKpj000 Tue 31-Mar-20 21:12:38

I have a retired close friend, who is normally one of the most thoughtful, kind and generous people on the planet. She has always shopped for her mother or taken her with her to the supermarket, which is great under normal circumstances. Since this crisis began, she has sensibly started shopping on her mums behalf. She is running errands for her, such as trips to the bank, picking up her pension, getting her a newspaper etc which is a good thing. But what is really irritating me, is my friend's lack of concern towards others during this pandemic. Instead of killing two birds with one stone on one shopping trip, she is making seperate trips out, something she would refuse to do for her under normal circumstances. Often she will shop for her mum, and then the same day get another call to go back out and collect something else, such as Baby Bio, a magazine or something else that's trivial. She has been reminded by several assistants, be it at the shops or the bank about unnecessary trips out and then complains to me on the phone about their attitude! I have tried to subtly tell her she could be endangering others as well as herself and her mother, but it falls on deaf ears. I know it's allowed for people to shop for the vulnerable, but it's bordering on ridiculous as both their freezers are full of enough food to live on for the next two months too. They also live very close to the city so all amenities are fairly close by. She just seems oblivious to the fact that the rules apply to her too, but is happy to moan about other people not keeping their distance from her. The message to stay home is not getting through to her. She is all for social distancing so I don't understand her actions. My friendship feels like it is being sorely tested by her selfish attitude during this pandemic. Has anyone else felt annoyed by the actions of a friend during this crisis.

notanan2 Wed 01-Apr-20 10:58:46

Both my neighbours are acting selfishly, both have had lady friends visiting back and forth and both of them have been to and from their ladyfriends, one lives 60 miles away and the other 1 mile.

Trying to see all the variables and give benefit of the doubt:
Maybe she does his weekly med boxes and checks he's taken them and maybe he helps her in and out of the bath.

Maybe she cant read her post any more and he makes sure her bills are read out to her. Maybe he cant hear well enough to make important phone calls himself

I think before assuming its just social we should remember that a lot of people put on a brave face in public but get/give a lot of unseen informal help behind closed doors.

Starblaze Wed 01-Apr-20 11:02:34

Sounds like mother is very controlling and daughter who had previously grown strong enough to say no is now isolated from a lot of her support network, anxious and stressed as we all are and reverting back to old patterns with her mother. Her mother obviously doesn't care about putting her own daughter at risk and is making ridiculous demands. Support your friend, we are all trying to keep our mental health in check right now.

GlamGran59 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:04:53

I found this helpful.

Aepgirl Wed 01-Apr-20 11:05:51

I think we’re all getting a bit tetchy at the moment. We all have to be more tolerant and try to ‘look on the bright side of life’. Just seen a baby robin being fed in my garden - how lovely is that?

Craicon Wed 01-Apr-20 11:17:18

My friend (75) was initially looking after her primary aged grandchildren when they shut the schools 2 weeks ago so her daughter could continue working. She was also visiting the bank, post office and supermarket last week too, wearing a scarf and gloves thinking it will keep her safe.

Sadly, she’s just tested positive for Covid-19 and is currently home alone in bed feeling ill and desperately hoping it won’t get worse.

(I’m in Ireland so our schools closed much earlier and our testing regime might be different to the U.K.?)

I think some people won’t change their behaviours until the virus affects someone they know personally.

GoldenAge Wed 01-Apr-20 11:17:22

I think that some people will only come to realise what Stay at Home means when they are fighting for breath on a ventilator.

To those who think it's wrong to 'judge' others' actions I would simply say do the maths - look at how many people a friend who is making many non-essential trips is coming into contact with and how many infectious people can result. The taking up of critical care beds and ventilators by people who have deliberately put themselves and others at risk is something that is happening right now - we should all be focusing on how to pull together as a society of human beings and if there are rules that are for the overall good they should be followed and we all have a duty to make our case - so no, I'm sorry, we can't excuse behaviour because we are in mad times and some people can't get their heads around it, it's that kind of thinking that got us here in the first place - people continuing to gather and refusing to listen to scientific advice. I think you should tell your friend fairly and squarely that she is behaving recklessly and if she becomes offended then she's not worth having as a friend - one can't judge behaviour on how it is usually because there may never be a 'usually' again - we are in new territory now.

sazz1 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:21:22

I think your friend is very stressed by the regulations not to go out and not thinking logically about things.
These regulations have brought out the worst in a lot of people who are normally much different. People who would never in a million years act like this are ringing police to report others for very trivial things, like walking for over an hour, taking the car 1 mile to a field with their dog, leaving the house twice, buying paint etc. People are bored and panicking about the virus. And sadly the isolation is affecting the mental health of some.

jaylucy Wed 01-Apr-20 11:21:24

I agree with notanan2 - it is so easy to slip into the finger pointing role.
I can only suggest that when she starts complaining to you about comments made to her, just point out that police now have the power to enforce fines on people making unnecessary shopping trips and that she can be stopped at any time. Also suggest that she makes a list before she goes out to make one trip and informs her mother that she will only be able to go out once a week in future.
If this fails, the next move will be to just say that she is aware of what you think and that you refuse to discuss it further then put the phone down! She might get the hint.

notanan2 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:22:42

What good does judging do though? It wont change her friends behaviour.

Everyone is telling everyone else theyre doing it wrong.
Everyone thinks they're doing it right.
Its not changing anyones minds/behaviours. Its just making everyone turn against everyone

notanan2 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:23:37

That was a reply to goldenage

JonesKpj000 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:25:33

Thank you everyone for your comments. It's helping me keep sane!
I am going to continue to support her daily as best I can by text and phone.
Starblaze, you are absolutely right regarding the situation. Got it in one.
I wasn't meaning to sound judgemental. I'm just frustrated like many others. I think it just brings it home when my daughter works in ICU and I hear of the deaths and people on ventilators. All the people out there, whatever occupation they do, are doing a grand job.

Grannygrumps1 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:28:27

I’ve recently retired (31st October) from the NHS. I was non medical staff. So all my friends are nhs staff too. They keep offering to help me but I’m worried about contact with them. As some are working on the front line.

Janetann62 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:30:27

Have you tried explaining to your friend in simple terms: the more often she goes out, the more likely it is she will become infected (not just by contact with other people, but also by contact with anything an infected person has touched); she will then probably infect her mother.

red1 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:31:38

this virus situation,can make people act in strange ways,she doesnt usually act this way,any chance you could ask in a subtle way if she needs any help?

Jaycee5 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:42:05

People do need to be more mindful but I think that we also need to remain on friendly terms even when people are annoying. I am noticing people getting much more tense and tetchy than usual.
I nearly had a falling out with my neighbour's grandson who I usually have a really good relationship with over a misunderstanding.
He offered me the use of his wi-fi while mine isn't working but I couldn't get his to work either. He took my laptop but then shoved it back at me and stomped into his flat and I thought that he had just regretted taking it from me (I didn't expect him to I was just showing him what the problem was) as his grandmother is very vulnerable so I tried to ignore it and signed up to a hot spot and paid for phone add ons. I was a bit put out though because I do a lot for the older people in this building and it did seem unnecessarily terse.
Today he asked me a favour and I said that's fine but could he try again with the wi-fi. Turned out that he had connected it (and insists that he told me) and didn't realise that he had walked off with his password. He was on the phone at the time and so was dealing with two things at once. Anyway he gave me the password which sorted out my problem and I sorted out his problem so everything is good and I am glad that I bit my tongue inbetween.
I think it is very easy at the moment for people to say things which might be justified but which are only going to ultimately make things more difficult.
He said that all the Banks in Harrow are closed and that he could not get through to his on the phone. I'm not sure how much of the banking system is functional. At least the debit card system and bank transfer systems are working and I presume that ATMs are being filled at the moment.

Susan55 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:44:55

I think it is in everyone's best interest NOT to judge others, nor the actions of others, but instead to do what we each feel is right for 'ourselves'. In this way we lead by example rather than judgement which is ultimately more healthy for everyone anyway.

GinJeannie Wed 01-Apr-20 11:45:28

very sadly, it seems, a friendship between myself and a school friend, which has lasted for 60 years. seems to have changed for the worse, if it exists at all now. To be brief, a few weeks ago when panic buying was happening at supermarkets, my friend, who still lives in a large City, whereas I am in a rural area, texted to say how shocked she was at the panic buying and that 'a certain race of people', which I won't name, were the worst. She texted that she herself was now VERY racist. I was so shocked and upset that I didn't reply for a day or two, but then did reply and said that this was not the friend that I knew, and how much her comment had upset me, since myself and my family volunteer regularly with a refugee aid charity. I tried to diplomatically explain things, but got a torrent of a text from her saying she would 'not be lectured to', and that I 'should come back here (to the city' and see things differently. No contact from me after that, I was so shocked and hurt. We've been close friends all these years, in many good and bad times, but I cannot remain close now.

Coconut Wed 01-Apr-20 11:45:38

My 90 year old Mum has had a go at my DD because she said that she will not be over to pick up the grandchildren's Easter Eggs ! I’ve now told her straight that its a non essential journey and that rules do apply to her the same as everybody else ! She is not happy ?

annab275 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:45:48

My OH has just been out to get some things for his mother. He texted her before he went to see if there was anything else she needed. When he came back she sent a text to say when he was next out shopping to get her this and that. He told her he wouldn't be going again for a week. She is over 75 with underlying health conditions, and told him on Monday that she had just been to Morrisons, after he said he would shop for her. She said she knew it was 'naughty'. We are exasperated. I wonder if these people watch the news at all and see how scary this illness is.

Franzipan60 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:46:12

I live in France, I am horrified by what is happening back in the UK, is the media and television telling you all what is happening in the rest of Europe, it’s horrific, particularly in Italy and now Spain and here in France, we are all under strict lockdown with high penalties through fines and prison sentences if necessary, for breaching the lockdown rules without carrying signed attestations which state the purpose of your journey in that specific day and how long and how far you are away from where you live!
I have close family and friends in the UK, and I keep telling them to ramp up their own isolation rules now, the Uk is approaching peak of this virus, France is already there...the UK is not far behind, and is a congested populated country.
I don’t care if anyone attacks my post for telling everyone, that only minimal and essential journeys are now necessary. I have just done my first esssential shop after over 3 weeks of strict lockdown.........and with the will of local people, we are even rotating group shopping trips to limit all exposure to this virus!
This is not scaremongering, the fact is that many are dying, even healthy people, and those who are looking at Europe from the UK saying they are not dealing adequately with the pandemic, need to look again, at what the UK population is NOT doing and what it should be doing NOW.
This is not about civil liberties, this is about saving your own life and that of others. Please, please, limit all your exposure.
A few weeks or months is nothing compared to a lifetime ❤️❤️???

SparklyGrandma Wed 01-Apr-20 11:46:55

I agree notanan2, we don’t know what people are dealing with at home, or health wise.

There are lots of health issues that visit us in later life that could cause us havoc if we sat in one room for over 12 weeks.

Also, take care of precious friendships, they will be needed afterwards.

Xrgran Wed 01-Apr-20 11:52:54

This rings true to me too Ive actually had to unfriend several people on Facebook as they have annoyed me so much.

One friend had Coronavirus but thought it was OK to go to pub after a few days as long as he stayed outside and his wife just carried on shopping and going out during this time!

My mum is getting very fed up as a friend is boasting about daily trips out including on the bus when mum is isolating.

I feel that some relationships will be permanently damaged after this.
Maybe we need to have an honest conversation with the rule breakers and point out just how hurt and let down we are by their behaviour and how it’s making us rethink our relationship.

inishowen Wed 01-Apr-20 12:04:30

It's hard to get it right. I was in tesco yesterday. My groceries were being scanned when the assistant snapped "stand on the X , social distancing". I hadn't seen the X as it wasnt there last time. I also made the mistake of going to an empty till only to be told there was a system and I had to walk the length of the shop to be told what till to go to. You've guessed, the same till I'd been at.

Annecan Wed 01-Apr-20 12:06:44

What seems to be misunderstood is that the lockdown is about easing pressure on the NHS
Your friend would be very upset if she or someone she knew was not able to get treatment because of an overwhelmed health care system
She is being selfish
The majority of us are doing our best to minimise the effects of this disease
She is adding to the problem

jenpax Wed 01-Apr-20 12:09:06

I have also noticed a trend to shaming people over the content of their shopping baskets too!
A friend went to the shops a few days ago to get a few bits she needed and also grabbed a birthday cake for her partner (birthday was a few days ago) and a bottle of wine to celebrate! she was upbraided by someone behind her at M&S with the jolly mantra “that’s not essential ! “