Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Excuses

(138 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 12:44:02

The excuses on here for going out are increasing again. No hair dressers this time, but exercise and dogs.

What is WRONG with people?

LullyDully Sun 05-Apr-20 14:04:28

As the rule is we are allowed out once a day for exercise, we continue to have an afternoon stroll. I shall be brassed off if they tighten the rules because of people not sticking to them.

Having said that , I don't have little children bouncing off the walls, neither do I live in a flat without a garden in a crowded city like London or Birmingham. Some people must be suffering badly being cooped up. Although I don't like it, I find it easier to do than if I was 16.

Let's hope it ends soon! A nice thought only, I am afraid.

GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 14:08:20

Thing is, if you're going out, you're not locked in, are you?

I appreciate that for shopping one person may need to go out.

But dog walking, outside exercising MAY be legal but it isn't safe. Hence all the NHS workers asking you to stay in.

phoenix Sun 05-Apr-20 14:13:51

I ask again a walk through the village, with NO other people around, and not touching anything, are you saying that I shouldn't do that?

Oopsminty Sun 05-Apr-20 14:17:48

But dog walking, outside exercising MAY be legal but it isn't safe. Hence all the NHS workers asking you to stay in.

Not all NHS workers are saying this. I've got a couple of those in the family as well!

Many of us walk our dogs in remote areas. I seldom see a soul. Are you suggesting that's not 'safe'?

Oopsminty Sun 05-Apr-20 14:21:50

This is ridiculous

My husband was in Tesco yesterday

Had to go because we were running out of essentials

He also bought some Easter Eggs for the grandchildren

Shocking behaviour to some I expect!

But Tesco was heaving. They had the 2 metre rule which some just couldn't stick to

Going to the shops, (essential) is far more 'unsafe' than a stroll with your dog. People pick up items then put them back etc etc

But we need to survive so not sure what those criticising expect

Calendargirl Sun 05-Apr-20 14:22:39

I went out this morning 6.15 a.m. for a fifty minute walk round our area. Saw one other person walking, I stepped into road and we spoke as we passed metres apart.

Nothing wrong with that, not breaking any rules.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:26:08

One of our AC and family live near the beach, of course they are goimg there to exercise and let the GC and dogs let off steam whilst they can. Another AC and family live opposite a park which is now closed to all because of youngsters/teenagers congregating, try explaining that to a three year old that can see the park but not play in it!!

I have a feeling that before the Easter Break we shall be in total lockdown due to the thoughtless people who ignore/flout the current rules.

lemongrove Sun 05-Apr-20 14:27:02

Nothing at all wrong with getting fresh air and a bit of exercise....in fact it’s important that we do.
Unless you think you have the virus and are self isolating then social distancing and staying at home more than usual, but taking walks with family that you live with is all fine and dandy.

GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 14:30:12

If you go out and see one other person, that’s because hundreds of others are putting the time in, at home. Unlike you.

Eloethan Sun 05-Apr-20 14:33:00

Focus should be on people abusing the rules currently in place - those in groups and people sunbathing, picnicking, playing ball games and just generally not keeping their distance.

We were told we could go out for exercise and that is what I intend to do until we are told otherwise.

It is not just in remote areas where you can keep your distance from people. It is perfectly possible to walk up a residential road and cross over if you see someone else coming.

I think it is especially important that people who live in flats - and many modern flats these days are very small - have the opportunity to walk, run or cycle in the open air - of course, taking care to observe all the rules.

Smileless2012 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:33:12

Walking a dog isn't an excuse to go out it's a necessity for anyone who doesn't have a garden and owns a dog.

Going out shopping isn't safe either but it's a good job that those of us who can do, or the online deliveries so badly needed for those who cannot go out would be even more stretched.

GrannyLaine Sun 05-Apr-20 14:35:21

The Prime Minister acknowledged quite early on in his press briefings how difficult lockdown would be and what a negative impact it might have on people's mental health. The rules seem perfectly clear to me and as this is going on for some time, I agree that being outdoors for a short time in a safe way is very important to ensure that as many people as possible comply with instructions. Only the most vulnerable need to self-isolate.

GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 14:35:48

If exercising in the open air was so vital, gyms would have been empty prior to the virus.

Elegran Sun 05-Apr-20 14:35:53

The infection is not in the air outside, it is in people. Walking when and where no-one else is walking won't give you coronavirus, while being inside in a supermarket could do so.

If you sit near your front window, as I do, and count numbers and when they go past, you can work out when it is a quiet time when you are unlikely to meet a soul. If you go out at a popular time, then yes, you are risking getting or spreading the virus.

I've a suspicion that in a short while this will stop being a bone of contention. There is likely to be a complete ban on going off your own premises except to buy essentials.

BlueBelle Sun 05-Apr-20 14:36:26

I have a solo walk about 20 mins a day I meet very few people and those I do are a long way off not within speaking distance
I have not been to a shop for three weeks
I have not been on a bus for three weeks
and I haven’t been with anyone for three weeks as far as I know I am TOTALLY following the rules

Gagajo you are wrong it is safe to be outside for a short period if you are not near anyone we are not in total lockdown at the moment it may come to that ( if some people mostly big cities don’t get their act together) but for now the rule is short exercise and ALONE once a day is acceptable
The virus is not floating around in the air it is passed on by some form of contact you are probably in more danger picking your letter up off the doormat or reading your daily paper than breathing in fresh air

lemongrove Sun 05-Apr-20 14:37:57

Is it because you are self isolating yourself Gaga that you have such a problem with this?
Government guidelines and directives are being complied with by all posters on this thread ( and most, elsewhere)
They are not the same as the idiots still partying and meeting up in the parks.

Starblaze Sun 05-Apr-20 14:39:16

Vitamin D is important, for mental and physical health. I choose to stay in my garden but many do not have the luxury of a garden or one large enough to exercise in. Going out for exercise isn't an issue done properly.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:44:17

The UK rules with explanations

notanan2 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:45:08

If exercising in the open air was so vital, gyms would have been empty prior to the virus.

People walked to the gym, people walked around town, people walked to/from the bus/train.

People were out and about. Footpaths were busy. Going INSIDE for exercise then was different. The gym nearest me is near a trainstation and got a lot of footfall from that

Smileless2012 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:48:20

Exercising in a gym is totally different to exercising outside Gagajo and when people are being so restricted, any form of outside activity is beneficial not only to their physical health but their mental health too.

Eglantine21 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:50:26

The majority of posters are exercising sensibly. Understandably they don’t want to give it up.

So what is the answer when a critical mass are not following the rules, spreading infection and overloading the health system.

Total lockdown? Can anyone suggest another solution that works?

GracesGranMK3 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:51:51

I don't know if you have received the PMs letter and the leaflet as shown in the video above - I haven't so it is useful to see what it says.

Smileless2012 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:57:10

I was just thinking the same thing notanan there was a lot more walking being done on a daily basis as an every day part of our lives before the lock down.

GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 15:03:00

I have a problem because it is obvious that the quickest (which won’t be quick, it’ll be months) way through is isolation. If it isn’t passed from person to person, eventually, it’ll die down.

Some outings are unavoidable. Food shopping for example.

That walk, where you see no one, where unexpectedly, 30 other people had the same thought as you. And, suddenly, you’ve had some contact and develop a cough. But you were safe!

It was OBVIOUS we needed total lockdown long before the government told us. It’s still not happening.

GagaJo Sun 05-Apr-20 15:03:34

We can’t trust what the government say. We need self preservation. Common sense.