Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Things to learn while in lockdown

(88 Posts)
CathTheWise Wed 08-Apr-20 07:07:27

I've decided that I don't want to waste this time and started learning Spanish. I hope I'll have an opportunity to visit this country at least some day. Maybe not this year. Maybe not even the next one. But still! So I use Duolingo for that. My DD learns how to play ukulele, it's funny, I'll probably start that, too.
What are you doing or learning?

Ohmother Wed 08-Apr-20 23:25:11

Iv

Ohmother Wed 08-Apr-20 23:28:33

I’m going to learn how not to press ‘Post’ too early!!! ??

I’ve had a uke’ for 3 years now and haven’t even mastered the first chord! I’ve got books and YouTube tutorials but I keep biting my nails so can’t get a grip on the strings!! ?

Mbuya Thu 09-Apr-20 03:48:18

Taking up structured lessons from the Rotary Learning Centre on line. There are some really interesting courses which will help me contribute more effectively in Rotary's aim to promote Service above Self.

afternoontea Thu 09-Apr-20 13:49:34

I've had my daughter and 3 month old Grandson move
in, as her partner is stuck abroad. So I relearning how much
work babies and daughters are !

justwokeup Thu 09-Apr-20 14:38:12

Thanks for the tip bumblebee34. I've been meaning to sign up for a photography class for the last 2 yrs, but beginners' classes are far between and quite expensive. I never even thought of online photography which looks perfect. So now I will be learning how to use my camera! Had just joined a craft group too so I'm carrying on with that as best I can.

rosecarmel Thu 09-Apr-20 15:46:08

I think one of the unhealthiest suggestions I keep reading is to "remain positive" during a global pandemic- We're human- If we don't cycle through our emotions as they arise, recognize them, then move on, everyone on the planet would be internalizing their feelings and not processing them-

The media focus is now shifting from numbers and suffering to focusing on the woes of the fashion industry and the actors in lockdown- Who cares!!!

Eat the rich!

smile

Catterygirl Sun 12-Apr-20 17:20:28

I almost qualified as a psychotherapist but had to move from Spain to England with a villa and 3 jobs to a rented flat in London so didn't take the final exams. Time to do now before it's too late maybe?

Daddima Tue 14-Apr-20 12:16:30

This made me giggle!

BradfordLass73 Wed 15-Apr-20 06:51:50

I can understand your point rosecarmel but whilst we are all appalled by the horror of things such as mass graves and children being orphaned - how does it help to be anything other than angry and shocked - and you can't stay like that for ever.

I've been writing The Lockdown Diaries and online blog which is (mostly) optimisitc and hopeful but what I write in my OWN diary is very different.

I think it helps to rant and rave if that's how you feel, get it off your chest but be aware how this can affect others, especially people already stressed and/or prone to depression.

the-lockdown-diary.blogspot.com

Daddima Love that picture, I must try it with my grandson.
We do a trick with a milk bottle and when he was younger he loved the fart machine (paper tube, bit of garden hose and a rubber glove). I'm sure he'll love trying to do this.

NanKate Wed 15-Apr-20 07:29:41

I too am learning Spanish via DuoLingo I am on day 104 and really enjoying. ?

Hithere Wed 15-Apr-20 13:16:11

Nankate,
If you have any questions, I can help you.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 15-Apr-20 13:21:45

I'm using www.deutsch-lernen.com to brush up my German grammar.