Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Are you still ordering takeaways?

(91 Posts)
FruityGrann Thu 09-Apr-20 13:29:58

I was chatting to my DD on the phone and she said that they were ordering a pizza for supper that night from a takeaway chain.

It did make me worry - what if the person handling food, putting it into boxes was infected and didn't know? Or the delivery driver?

Are you still ordering takeaways or am I worrying too much?

Daisymae Fri 10-Apr-20 05:52:20

The village pub seems to be doing a good trade in take aways. The rule for business is that people should work from home or be able to social distance at the workplace. The government wants to keep the economy ticking over, not kill it stone dead.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Apr-20 06:38:20

The Government relaxed the rules to enable Restaurants to swop to a Delivery/Take-away service, when they announced the closure of the hospitality industry

Whilst they are legally allowed to operate we shall continue to support our local restaurants by ordering meals from them. We want them to still be in business when we come out the other side of this Covid-19 nightmare.

rubysong Fri 10-Apr-20 08:41:44

I'm collecting fish and chips from the local pub each Friday for us and a friend with an elderly husband. It's a nice treat and supports a local business. Our payment goes somewhere to make up for the couple of points of Guinness DH usually buys there on a Friday evening.

Harris27 Fri 10-Apr-20 08:48:04

Please keep ordering as my husband delivers fruit and veg to schools and restaurants and has ceased to work. He hopes the restaurants will currently survive by doing takeaways and one day soon will reopen support your local takeaways and restaurants or you will lose them. I am supporting local chippy once a week as a treat to keep them in business and to have something to look forward to.

Daisymae Fri 10-Apr-20 09:13:59

People should support businesses that are managing to keep going. However only 25 percent of the immediate family are currently employed.

grannypiper Fri 10-Apr-20 09:30:49

Not a chance. If it cant be washed in Miltons fluid its not coming in.

CanadianGran Fri 10-Apr-20 09:31:43

We are not really restaurant users normally, so have not eaten take-out. I am still working in the transport industry, and still see plenty of workers doing take out for their meals.

Personally I don't want any risk of infection but I do see a need for essential workers to have meals available, and it is keeping some businesses alive.

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 09:47:55

Takeaways are food providers, where the queuing is no worse than in supermarkets. DD bought chips yesterday and said the queue went for miles because it was so strung out with only 2 customers in the shop at a time.

Chip shop chips are even better when frozen and then twice cooked by being reheated in the oven. She always has a box of chips in her freezer.

Once or twice a year we have fish and chips, but that apart we do not have take-aways.

Cambia Fri 10-Apr-20 10:13:36

Still in Greece and as all the little tavernas are shut, we are ordering two takeaways a week in an effort to provide them with a little income. Greece has been really strict about lockdown, so they must think this safe to allow them to carry on.

We ring them, order and then they leave it on the table outside the property and we collect.

Two takeaways a week sound dreadful but these are good healthy Greek meals not junk food! The Greeks always give you a little free something as a thank you for dessert when you eat out, and we often get little hidden away fruit or chocolate bars in our bags! We got a whole lemon to go with our fish the other day and a gigantic salad!

Happygirl79 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:20:52

Never have been a fan of takeaways so no thanks I will carry on preparing my own meals
I know exactly what is in them and have confidence that I have prepared them in hygienic conditions
No additives too is another huge plus

Skweek1 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:30:52

Love the idea, Grannysyb - staff get a bit of money and keeps pub afloat at least in the interim! DS buys takeaways a couple of times a week and we've found a couple of new ones, a lovely Greek, and a decent Chinese. Yesterday he went with his GF to the local Urgent Care centre (she'd had toothache for weeks, her dentist refused to see her and poor lass couldn't eat or sleep and worse, she has serious chronic depression, so was at her wits' end). By the time they got back home, having finally got some treatment, it was 9 pm and they hadn't eaten, so DS got in touch with a takeaway, paying by card and by 10 they had a pizza delivered, which was a godsend.

Mollygo Fri 10-Apr-20 10:33:50

No takeaways even though our favourite Indian Restaurant is doing them now, but my daughter saw that our local chippy was doing ‘click and collect’. You order on the phone and then you are given a time slot to collect, no queues, food placed on a table by the door when you arrive, so we had fish and chips. It really cheered us up. Essential? Well food is, even F&C. Supporting local businesses. Yes. Feel guilty -yes a bit.

annsixty Fri 10-Apr-20 10:38:58

A very nice pub near my D is offering meals in the evening to collect.
You pay by card when you order and the meals are passed out to you via a window.
They are offering six choices of favourite pub meals and a roast dinner, everything is priced at £9.
They have ordered for tomorrow evening as an Easter treat.

olliebeak Fri 10-Apr-20 10:40:28

Quite simply, NO! Never bothered before the 'lockdown' - so no point in doing it now wink.

Chewbacca Fri 10-Apr-20 10:53:54

There are a couple of pubs doing the same thing here too annsixty, a set menu to choose from, order on line and the collect at a set time. One of them has even started selling draught beer by the pint for collection too! Apparently empty 4 litre milk bottles are like gold dust! grin

Chardy Fri 10-Apr-20 11:04:43

Really sad that our wonderful Chinese takeaway has closed for the duration. We looked for another, but couldn't find one, and we live in a sizable town. Please convince me this isn't racism.

Ohmother Fri 10-Apr-20 11:04:53

I’m making my own curry today via the Pinch of Nom cookbook. The Lime and Garlic Chicken Balti is nicely marinading in the fridge as we speak. Trouble is I’ve got food on my mind all day now as I can’t wait to tuck in!!

Twopence Fri 10-Apr-20 11:07:19

We have never bothered before but living in an area which depends on tourism most of the local cafes and pubs are now offering takeaways. We are now considering ordering to help the local businesses. You phone an order and it is delivered to you or you can collect from the shop.

Shortlegs Fri 10-Apr-20 11:09:26

Probably more for a younger generation but, I think there is an irony in the fact that most people have the time on their hands to learn or enjoy cooking, yet order takeaways. Nowt so strange as folk.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 10-Apr-20 11:14:25

No, haven’t had one for few months,

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Apr-20 11:17:14

Never wanted another takeaway when disappointed with the first one I tried. Supermarket freezers have a great selection of 'readies' you can microwave and cheaper.

nipsmum Fri 10-Apr-20 11:28:10

I don't normally have takeaways so its not a problem I have to think about.

deb1987 Fri 10-Apr-20 11:28:20

when the gov ordered all pubs restaurants nightclubs to close they also lifted restrictions on takeaway food so that restaurants and pubs could offer this service and maybe earn a little bit of money....whilst help is given with staff aside in our case a one off grant of 10,000 no other help has been forthcoming. £10,000 sounds a lot but is not going to cover our bills for 3 months we still have to pay rent all other direct debits utility bills etc and keep ourselves and household alive somehow. We have applied for a bank crisis loan but it is taking forever to sort out the banks as ever are trying to push us into one of their own loans at a high interest rate and then want to know how it is going to be serviced over the next few months! So if you can help your local bar, pub, restaurant by ordering a delivery please do so

Betty18 Fri 10-Apr-20 11:35:55

Yes am absolutely getting takeaways . I’m lucky to live in an area that has a lot of delivery services and although I understand the worries people have I welcome the take away . It makes us happy and I’m keen to support local business. Lots of restaurants are doing delivery only . If you practice good hygiene I don’t think it’s a problem.

notanan2 Fri 10-Apr-20 11:45:07

Probably more for a younger generation but, I think there is an irony in the fact that most people have the time on their hands to learn or enjoy cooking, yet order takeaways. Nowt so strange as folk.

Not the people still working outsids home or from home. Or people home schooling children in exam years. Or people who were always unable to