Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Are you still ordering takeaways?

(91 Posts)
FruityGrann Thu 09-Apr-20 13:29:58

I was chatting to my DD on the phone and she said that they were ordering a pizza for supper that night from a takeaway chain.

It did make me worry - what if the person handling food, putting it into boxes was infected and didn't know? Or the delivery driver?

Are you still ordering takeaways or am I worrying too much?

Tangerine Fri 10-Apr-20 14:08:31

I'd eat Chinese food again. You can't blame this virus on Chinese restaurants.

aonk Fri 10-Apr-20 14:10:55

I’m especially horrified by the remark about never eating Chinese food again. The food served in UK Chinese restaurants uses the same meat fish and vegetables as we buy in our supermarkets. Maybe the sauces are imported from China but that is all. Since the lockdown in China people haven’t been allowed to leave the country so cannot bring in the virus. Now that India is in lockdown are you going to stop eating Indian food as well?
Also regarding the remarks about whether takeaways should be open or not if the government is ok with this then it’s ok for us to patronise them. There are too many sanctimonious comments on here about always cooking your own food. IMHO there’s nothing wrong with a treat from time time. For me it’s a treat not to have to cook once in a while. However I don’t ever drink or smoke. Each to his/her own!

CBBL Fri 10-Apr-20 16:36:22

I've never had takeaways - mostly because in the past, I could not afford them! These days (a) I live in the countryside (there are NO shops - even our nearest farm shop has closed), (b) my hubby has IBS and some food allergies - so I wouldn't trust them to deliver food that was safe for him, and (c) I'm worried that I will need to source food from more expensive shops quite soon as shortages do not seem to be reducing, and I don't want to spend more than I need to!

Bluecat Fri 10-Apr-20 17:52:35

People do handle stuff in the supermarkets too, of course, which is why we wash or disinfect all our shopping. As for the contents inside tins, for instance, you just have to hope that, if they were touched at the factory, they have been in the tin long enough for the virus to die!

If I did buy a takeaway, which I won't, I would throw away the package and zap the food in the microwave to be on the safe side.

deedeeP Fri 10-Apr-20 18:03:46

We didnt have takeaways before lockdown only ate out 2 or 3 times per week always in a restaurant Our favourite 3 restaurants are closed completely, we just hope they re-open when this is over as they didnt even try takeaway as some other local restaurants did in the beginning. We are still not eating takeaways as don't want to risk having a potentially infected person deliver. I am in the isolate for 3 months group.

Sawsage2 Fri 10-Apr-20 18:28:51

Just buy ready meals, curry, Chinese etc, from a supermarket and heat in a microwave. Job done..

jerseygirl Fri 10-Apr-20 18:34:47

We are avoiding takeaways at the moment. I dont think i could enjoy it as i would be wondering who had handled the food etc. I'm cooking meals from scratch and quite enjoying it.

jerseygirl Fri 10-Apr-20 18:35:08

Oh and ready meals!!!

harrigran Fri 10-Apr-20 19:18:08

We have not had any takeaway meals but today DH managed to place an order with Morrison's for a box of meals so that he can have the odd day off from cooking.
I saw in the news today that a Domino pizza delivery man had died and my blood ran cold.

grannysyb Fri 10-Apr-20 20:21:02

Just had lovely fish and chips from our local pub, hope it keeps going as its famous for its £5 lunches.

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 20:29:49

We should have been having take-away fish and chips for supper tonight, were it not for Covid-19.

Each Easter weekend there is a huge Antiques Fair at the show ground at Peterborough and we should be there, on outside pitch E17, with our event shelter, hired van, and stock of bits and pieces.

Perfect Fair weather this year, we would have been up at 5.00am to be ready to get there by 7.00am when it opens for the dealers. The crowds descend at 10.00am.The fair closes at 4.00 and by the time we get back to DDs, she is also apart of this enterprise, we are all absolutely knackered, so call in at the chippy on the way home and buy our supper.

Not this year. It has been cancelled along with everything else. We had beans on toast for supper tonight after a long day in the garden. Not at all the same.

Chewbacca Fri 10-Apr-20 20:39:46

Some fish and chip shops seem to have remained open, judging from photographs in the news, but others have closed. All of them around my area are closed.

notanan2 Fri 10-Apr-20 20:48:51

nannan2 Without support, that Chinese take away that you love so much won’t be there when this crisis is over. It might not be racially motivated, but I bet it sure feels that way to them if everyone did it.

Err we rarely ever went for or ordered chinese anyway.
Thai, indian, jamaican sure.. actually our local Jamaican restraunt is fully shut. A lot of what is still on offer round us is too stodgy for me: pies & pub grub: nope.

JuliaM Fri 10-Apr-20 20:49:39

We have a lot of takeaway businesses in our little town, as its quite a tourist spot during normal times. Consequently, now tye tourists have gone home, these businesses simply did not get enough trade to justify them remaining open. We have one Fish and Chip shop taking orders and payment via their website, for collection from a table across the door of their shop at a pre aranged time. We also have one chinese takeaway again with online ordering and payment only, the food then being delivered and left on your doorstep, no direct contact between driver and customer allowed. All the rest of the 20+ takeaways have closed down for now, including the high street artisan baker and sandwich shop.

notanan2 Fri 10-Apr-20 20:54:03

Two of my favourite eat in restraunts initially tried to do collection/delivery but both abandoned despite more demand than they could handle because they said it was impossible to keep their staff safe and keep doing it.

Their premises / kitchens etc just werent built with distancing in mind and all that.

I would be tempted to order if either of them was still going as we went to one once a week, and the other for special occassions. But theyre not.

Another we went to sometimes tried to keep going but couldnt maintain staff safety. Again they had more demand than they could handle but they just werent designed to run that kind of service. They were sit in restraunts where all the floor space available was used for tables and kitchens are narrow I suppose