Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Daily routine?

(126 Posts)
Jillybird Thu 16-Apr-20 11:28:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Apr-20 11:37:41

I have stuck to the bed changing /towel changing routines, other than that I am ^winging the whole flipping week^?

I am spending far too much time on GN, I am from finding myself cooking and baking everyday, which is totally alien to me ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Apr-20 11:38:25

no idea where *from came from?

mumofmadboys Thu 16-Apr-20 12:03:36

I go for a walk often first thing in the morning. I walked around Derwentwater today - nearly 10 miles. Sometimes I walk mid morning and walk with my DH. He doesn't do early mornings. Few house jobs. Salad for lunch. On line bridge with my local bridge club at 2 PM on line for 2 hours. Then few jobs/ gardening, then cook a meal, then DH and I sometimes play scrabble, or talk to a friend or two on the phone. TV or reading. Bed. Sometimes trip to supermarket . We are shopping for 4 households at the mo. Except for the awful news and worry for the vulnerable I must admit I am quite enjoying lockdown.

Philippa60 Thu 16-Apr-20 12:13:56

First of all it's a treat not to set the alarm in the morning and so I wake up naturally. Usually watch a bit of breakfast TV with coffee in bed, then go out for a walk and buy fresh mini almond croissants at our local bakery - they've become our morning indulgence.
Do 10 minutes gym routine with breakfast TV presenters.
Then sit down to work for a few hours.
Sometimes do some cooking / baking.
Have a nice lunch and then a bit more work / Zoom calls with friends / family / another short walk / sit and read in the garden.
Watch TV mostly in the evenings, news (too much but I'm addicted to it all) and then a Netflix series until time for sleep.
Very different from my pre-Corona routine but I can't say I'm suffering other than not seeing the kids
P60

dragonfly46 Thu 16-Apr-20 12:20:13

How busy you all are.
I am shielded so no long walks for me.
I tend to let every day dictate itself so no real plan.
A nice day today so did the washing to hang out.
Not sure what we will have for dinner but suspect there is a chicken in the fridge which needs roasting!
I take life as it comes.

ninathenana Thu 16-Apr-20 12:25:40

I would love to go for a long walk sadly I can't walk more than a few hundred yards, or do anything in the garden other than sit and admire the view.
My day is usually, put laundry on, breakfast, tidy kitchen, empty dishwasher. My son Hoovers, I dust (not every day). Watch HUTH, lunch and read the papers. Do some admin crosswords or jigsaw. Waste time on FB and GN, cook dinner and clear up then slob in front TV
I can't wait to go for a drive.

Rosalyn69 Thu 16-Apr-20 13:23:12

I find routine soothing. I have to get up at 7.30 to feed the animals and let the dogs out. Chores in the morning and afternoons for ironing and cooking and dog walk. Pilates every other day. TV in the evening.
Free time for reading or catching up on Netflix series.
Can’t wait to go out though.

Judy54 Thu 16-Apr-20 14:08:31

Read the paper. Do the crossword. Practice my Tai Chi. Set menus for the week. It seems as though everything in our household revolves around food. What shall we have for lunch and dinner. Never been so obsessed with cooking before!

Missfoodlove Thu 16-Apr-20 15:20:21

Tea in bed and read the papers online.
Up dress then breakfast.
Chores in house or garden from 9-1 then lunch.
I hour exercise with dog and husband.
Finish any. chores, ironing etc.
Tea and cake at 4 then pottering outside.
30 minute makeshift gym workout most days.
Prepare dinner and overnight oats for. breakfast
We have usually sit down about 8pm

AGAA4 Thu 16-Apr-20 15:38:27

Watch the news while eating breakfast
Out before 8am for my walk.
Coffee with book then yoga.
Whatever jobs need doing then lunch.
More housework then some time on gransnet.
Cook early dinner then reading, puzzles, tv before bed

Barmeyoldbat Thu 16-Apr-20 15:43:41

No routine here, we just go with the flow. If it a good day then out for some exercise, reading has taken up more time than housework and a bit of baking. Oh yes and my veg plot in the middle of the lawn, looking after my plants and seeing how I can grow in such a small space. Love lockdown.

ginny Thu 16-Apr-20 15:59:00

Not normally one for routines as such. We tend to do jobs, shopping ( once a week), and preparing the evening meal in the morning.
Afternoon are for daily walk and keeping up with family and friend on FaceTime and WhatsApp and relaxing with a book or hobby.
Evenings for TV or something like a show or film being shown on YouTube.

CathTheWise Fri 17-Apr-20 07:59:32

I'm waking up, doing some exercise or go for a short walk before the crowds (I wake up pretty early). Then I'm after some coffee or breakfast if I feel like it and after that I listen to the radio while painting or doing some home routine stuff. I paint a lot, that helps me to distract myself. I also spend a lot of time reading GN. I work remotely but right I work only if the orders are coming. I also feel quite bored sitting at home so I try to learn new things. Lately I've been somewhat interested in photography, so I also spend a lot of time reading different articles about how to do a shot or how to edit a picture and so on. Basically, everything is good, once you want to distract yourself

BlueBelle Fri 17-Apr-20 08:09:57

I don’t have housework routines Never have I change the bed when it needs changing I hoover or dust when it shows, I wash when I have dirty clothes, I have never understood this idea of wash on Monday’s maybe your clothes aren’t dirty till Thursday so what, you wait till next Monday ?
I m not saying it’s wrong, before everyone shoots me, I m just saying that I don’t understand it .
My routine now in lockdown is just about getting up around the same time of day each day and mealtimes are similar to before otherwise I let myself wander around doing what I feel like or not I go for a beach walk when the fancy takes me or not if it doesn’t
I hate not having the structure to actually do something OUTSIDE the home ie going to my job that was something to get up for and that was a routine I enjoyed
And yes I hate lockdown but doing my best

M0nica Fri 17-Apr-20 08:17:02

It is not so much having a regular routine as things I am doing regularly every day.

I am an early riser so up dressed and busy by 7.00am. My day will then include going for a walk, early if on my own, later if DH is joining me. I will spend a couple of ours gardening, and a couple of hours doing decorating or one of several home projects awaiting my attention, then I am at my desk, dealing with any household admin, ordering any non-food goods I need online. I then have a number of projects: family history and history to get on with. In the evening I read and sew, occasionally watch tv or a DVD.

Then weekly routines are my online Tai Chi class on Monday, shopping first thing Thursday morning and online church service on Sunday.

It keeps me going thorugh my days with purpose, so that I can make a seamless transfer to normality as it comes.

Gingster Fri 17-Apr-20 08:32:43

I like to have a bit of a loose schedule. Very leisurely breakfast, walk the dog with DH. Back in time for coffee and Bargain Hunt, gardening or housework or diy. Afternoon tea and reading in the garden (if fine) prepare dinner, G and T in the garden.
(If fine) Dinner and tv. Jigsaws and crosswords on dreary days. Simple pleasures but I love this pace of life. Like being on Permanent holiday.

TerriBull Fri 17-Apr-20 08:38:17

Get up make coffee bring it upstairs to husband, occasionally he does it. I was early this morning just after 6
Go back to bed and read for say half an hour
Another half an hour doing French on Duolingo
Shower, if it's a hair wash I take longer to get ready, listen to an audio book or French cd whilst I'm doing all the necessary to face the day.
Tuesday, we change our bed linen
Thursday I do my big food shop for the week
I usually sort out putting on a wash or, doing some ironing before I have my breakfast. My husband always cleans the kitchen and loads the dishwasher from whatever I've cooked the night before.
Between 11 and 12 I have breakfast, having had another two coffees, sometimes I merge breakfast into lunch
Then we go for an hour's walk
Come home sit down have a cup of tea and do some more French.
Maybe phone a friend
Watch "Four in a Bed" at 5 pm
After that do 25 minutes stretching or online yoga, if I've got the energy.
6pm prepare dinner, sometimes I've done a bit of prep for this in the afternoon.
One or all of the children phone between 6 and 7.30
7 pm we work out what we are going to watch on tv for the evening.
7.30 have dinner
10 pm bed, read for anything between 20 minutes and an hour.

Nana3 Fri 17-Apr-20 08:39:01

Jillybird I started off with a routine but have not kept it up. This is my day now, sort of, mostly it changes around each day but consists of same stuff.
Wake up early 5/6 am read, look at gransnet
Have tea and biscuit in bed / OH working from home
Have bath any time before lunch hopefully
Breakfast
Chores /WhatsApp family and friends throughout the day
Coffee
Chores
Lunch , watch bargain hunt, news, doctors, send / read texts, knit
Walk/ essential shopping at local store and or gardening, OH cooks dinner
Tv, ironing, knitting, drinking wine, OH asleep in chair
Bed, more reading, gransnet.

BlueSapphire Fri 17-Apr-20 08:52:23

Get up any time between 6 and 8am, depending on what time the cats leap on me!
Sit with a mug of tea, and go on the Good Morning thread.
Do Jo Wicks exercises about 9am.
Shower, do hair, dress.
Clean kitchen and bathroom, disinfect door handles etc.
Coffee and do the puzzles in the paper.
Hoover downstairs, do any other jobs.
Lunch.
Online ballet class.
Then gardening or sit in the garden if weather is fine and read.
Prepare dinner.
Sit down with a drink about 6pm and watch some relaxing tv.
Dinner with a glass of winewine, watch some more tv or browse the internet.
Groom and feed cats , give them some treats.
Bed with daily journal and a book.

Keep to usual days for towel and bedding changes and hoovering upstairs.

minxie Fri 17-Apr-20 09:53:19

I get my partner off to work after making him breakie around 6.30.
Then I exercise and have breakfast myself. By which time it time to clean one room from top to bottom. Shower time
If I’ve sussed what’s for dinner. I Prep what I can. Then it’s me time reading. Crosswords or cross stitching.
I’ve just stitched a card for Captain Tom

Nicolaed Fri 17-Apr-20 09:58:27

Like @dragonfly46 I too am in the "shielded" category and I look at each day in a similar way in that the day will take care of itself. For the last two years it's been impossible for me to have a structured week nevertheless I applaud those who can however my "structure" is that it will happen when I do it. The only thing I'm struggling with at the moment is thinking about what should we have at each meal time, it's in my thoughts from the moment I wake up. I also find I'm spending more time in the kitchen and I can't remember the last time I baked so many cakes. Finally I just want a decent nights sleep! I've always had a great sleep routine and sleep pattern but that's gone completely so a daytime nap is becoming a regular fixture.

dublingran Fri 17-Apr-20 09:59:48

No routine at all! But then I never was that kind of person...... I’m not allowed out at all beyond the garden (“cocooning” as it’s called here). I seem to spend a lot time chasing grocery delivery slots online!!

polnan Fri 17-Apr-20 10:03:14

oh my! I am envious..

first, I am self isolated, living alone, first time ever.. never ever lived alone

so I wake early..
oh before I forget,, my mom used to have Monday, wash day..etc.... I don`t do that..

so I wake early, before 6 a.m.
try to stay in bed till 6..

up, throw clothes on, walkies around 7 am. can`t do 10 miles! lol,, about half an hour.. that is what the Government says we are allowed

then breakfast, shower,, try to stretch that to 9 a.m.

then here.. try to stretch that out..
after that

no routine at all... some goodish days, some awful days

apologies,, I have lost my getupandgo.. my mojo.. used to love reading.. one page ... (shaking head) used to love watching telly... (shaking head) I have the tv on for company, sometimes...

just starting to be brave and use the telephone.. did facetime with dil for the first time yesterday,, scared the pants off one of my gs... who picked up her phone.. no makeup, hair all over the place..! so now

after shower, I WILL put a dab of makeup on, and do my hair!

I am learning! a straight upwards line, no curve there.

Minerva Fri 17-Apr-20 10:03:40

I’m still laughing hollowly. Looking after a lively six year old my routine looks like childcare, make lunch, lunchtime, childcare. My daughter makes supper for us all thank goodness. Supper, tidy up, phone calls, emails, crash. Poor sleep, start again.