Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lockdown Over

(143 Posts)
Beau1958 Mon 20-Apr-20 13:07:29

I’m really afraid when this lockdown finishes. I feel ‘safe’ at the moment. My husband still works he has his own business so he will be returning when the lockdown is lifted. I’m just so worried he will bring it home and we will both go down with it. Obviously I want to see my grandchildren and I will when they say we can but will we just go back to square one again and numbers start creeping up again ? We are both in our mid sixties with no health issues so we will just have to carry on.

BStP Tue 21-Apr-20 10:18:31

I wonder like DeedeeP if the illness I had in Jan and my husband had in Feb were possibly a strain of cv. We were both knocked out with it and it took at least 3 weeks before we felt better. Who knows ?
I also hope we wait a little before coming out of lockdown and see first what is happening in other countries who are "coming out". I dont fancy going back to commuting on crowded trains and using the underground without knowing the risks!

Craftycat Tue 21-Apr-20 10:21:24

Am I alone in not being too worried about this?
I go to supermarket once a week- may pop in at other times shopping for older neighbours. Yes I wash my hands when I get in but that's it.
We are keeping to ourselves apart from daily walk when I do talk to others I see in road but not nearer than 6'. We go out into road to do the weekly 'clap' & talk to neighbours then & if they are passing our garden too- we have fairly large front gardens so not too close. Our road has had a couple of 'get togethers' where we all go out with our wine & nibbles & chairs & talk to neighbours from safe distance. We are having a big 'get together' next weekend where we will all sit on pavement outside ours homes so we can all see each other & chat from a safe distance..
The worst bit is the children- we live in a cul-de-sac & they are used to playing in the turning circle at the end - all together. It is difficult to explain to the little ones how they cannot play with their friends but their parents are doing a great job.
It is what it is & no point getting in a state about it. It doesn't help & only worries you.
Relax.

Bluesmum Tue 21-Apr-20 10:22:58

I went to Australia early January for three months and had to come home two weeks early because of the virus. I am in my late seventies and live on my own, sine my DH died last year. I have been self isolating since I got home and have not had, nor do I want, any visitors under the present conditions. I ache with longing to see my family, to talk to someone face to face, but consider this a very small price to pay to be one of the privileged ones who can stay home, arrange deliveries of all provisions from local shops, supporting our village trade, and keep safe. I am not going to spoil today worrying about what may happen when all this ends, I will just be so grateful I survived, and try to continue to look in the bright side. I have several hobbies, a large bungalow and garden to look after, am reasonably fit and healthy apart from osteo arthritis which does restrict what I can do some days, but I have learned to live with it. Thousands worse off than me, and even more thousands have not got this far, so let’s be thankful for each day we are safe, don’t pay too much attention to the negative media hype and face the future when it gets here, one day at a time xxx. Stay safe everyone xxxx

4allweknow Tue 21-Apr-20 10:23:59

Don't think we will one day just open our doors, go out and return to what we had before. Japan, an island such as we are is having a resurgence after very slightly lifting their tough restrictions. There will need to be a phased introduction of all levels of normality. Viruses do no go away, we learn to deal with them and possibly and hopefully via a vaccine for this one.

Annabel7 Tue 21-Apr-20 10:24:55

Well I have never appreciated literally taking one day at a time, until now. I have enjoyed daily walks , watching the changes, blossom on trees, daffodils giving way to bluebells,and I can't believe how fascinating I find the garden birds, and the antics of squirrels. I am turning into my mother. The family whatsapp group make me feel more connected to all my family, some of whom live in America,and New Zealand.Each day is a gift, which worrying about the future can obscure. I feel that as a generation, especially we over 70s, we have our parents example of living through war, separation, rationing,hopefully their resilience is in our DNA and we can still be there for each other, and keep hope alive ?

CaroleAnne Tue 21-Apr-20 10:32:41

Hello BLUEMUM.
I have not seen you on here before.
I welcome your comments and agree wholeheartedly with your philosophy.
I am so sorry to hear that you lost your husband last year.
My best wishes to you and everyone here. Keep safethanks

Granmaz Tue 21-Apr-20 10:34:35

My husband and I have both had the virus, he has asthma so I was very worried for him. He had a high temperature not much of a cough, a very bad headache for 4 days and extreme fatigue. I had a very much milder version, a cough, congestion, fatigue and then loss of smell and taste. We have both come through, even with my husband having asthma, so please do t worry too much, as other posters have said the vast majority have mild symptoms and sometimes don’t even know they’ve got it.

BlueSky Tue 21-Apr-20 10:35:22

Agree Annabel I've finally learnt the meaning of one day at the time. Also just wondering about too much sheltering, when we finally do get out will be like newborn babies!

kangaroo73 Tue 21-Apr-20 10:40:23

polnan - re your newspaper - some advice from one of those lovely doctor twins (can’t recall their names) : read the front/back page and immediately discard it and wash your hands as it’s the only part touched by human hand. The rest is put together via machinery.

Brit Tue 21-Apr-20 10:41:19

I’ve been shielding since 30th March and my husband is a frontline paramedic treating people with the virus during each shift. We have continued to live together but sleep in
separate rooms and try to “social distance” as best we can. It’s not ideal and it is scary but, like everyone else, we are just trying to make the best of it and keeping fingers crossed.

Theoddbird Tue 21-Apr-20 10:44:09

I actually do not think life will be as it was before.. ever. It will take a long time to gradually come out of the lockdown. I think many, who can, will carry on working from home anyway as it actually works well for them. It is not just about work though is it. We will view life differently We will really understand what is important in our life...probably not the things you thought were before. Our priorities will change. We are learning to live a more simple life... I think people will be better for this.

vampirequeen Tue 21-Apr-20 10:47:29

This is the problem with lockdowns. People who have never had a problem with going out in their lives suddenly find that they're afraid. You have to force yourselves to do it. I have agoraphobia and I promise you that you don't want to be like me. I haven't left my home without my DH or my mam for 9 years. Not because there is something bad out there (I can be logical about it) but because being out on my own fills me with such panic and fear of who knows what. You don't want to get into the fear of who knows what. It's hell. You can't let these fears, albeit genuine atm, win.

We take risks every day of our lives. We drive or are passengers even though we have no control of what some idiot or drunken driver might do. We cross roads. We fly. We eat and drink. We do numerous possibly dangerous things every day. Yes we take precautions but we don't go OTT with our worries because these are normal everyday situations. Coronavirus has thrown us all out of our comfort zones and some of you have found a new, more restrictive comfort zone (like mine). You mustn't let yourselves stay in your new zone. It won't be easy for some but you must get back to your old comfort zone asap.

Gransing Tue 21-Apr-20 10:48:25

Thank you. Your words have really helped. I am the main breadwinner and I also have been feeling really worried. Thank you again.

patlan45 Tue 21-Apr-20 10:49:37

I think I will be very nervous of going out again. I have also heard a suggestion that the over 70s and those with health problems may be advised to stay away from others for the rest of the year which is a very depressing outlook! Let's hope the scientists come up with a vaccine soon, although a doctor on Saga said yesterday that vaccines are less effective on the elderly!!! We need something positive to look forward to but in the meantime we just have to keep smiling and keep in touch with our families often. I've started writing letters to two of my young grandsons who live 80 miles away, and am really enjoying that. So much nicer than emails! Stay safe everyone!

sandelf Tue 21-Apr-20 10:57:02

Agree we should 'Keep calm and carry on'. I'm one of many who do seem to pick things up easily and stay ill for weeks once something is resident. Now everyone is aware how infections spread, maybe people will wash hands, cover coughs and sneezes (can I even hope they will stay home when ill?). So perhaps the normal colds and 'flu will not spread quite as they did. One can but hope!

Nanevon Tue 21-Apr-20 10:58:40

I lost my DH in January and was doing ok until the lockdown. I’m aching to see my family and hug them but not until it’s safe to do so. Life is lonely but I am alive and well even at 74. We all need to stay safe and wait it out.

aonk Tue 21-Apr-20 10:59:52

We miss our family very much indeed. Not seeing them is the hardest part for us as well as not being able to help them when they need it the most. They are struggling with combining home schooling and their demanding jobs. We also miss human contact of all kinds. We live in a cul de sac of 4 houses. 9 occupants all together. Last Friday we all assembled in the sunshine in our front garden and on our drive. We sat well apart. Everyone brought their own chairs and tea or coffee. It was brilliant and we decided we would do this every week. We all felt better for it. Obviously there were no children involved. If you can set up something like this I would really recommend it.

Buzzkaue Tue 21-Apr-20 11:01:16

I feel same ,i have type 2 diabetes ,am worried sick, I am also a foster carer. we are all safe at home ,but so worried when they mention opening schools ,I get a tight knot in my tummy, im hoping kids don't go back to school until sept.x

4timesagran Tue 21-Apr-20 11:04:01

I read on the paper yesterday that the over 70s may be told to isolate until 2021! I am ready to spread my wings so that didn't please me!

grandMattie Tue 21-Apr-20 11:07:13

We sre both well and active, although over 70. I have a feeling we shall be the last "let out". As pensioners, we have no financial worries, no health worries.
Like some others, I believe however they try, the authorities will be unable to stop a second spike. so my philosophy is Carpe diem, and let tomorrow take care of itself.
May sound a bit devil may care, but since we don't know what tomorrow will bring, why worry about it today!

elfies Tue 21-Apr-20 11:09:30

I listen to the Australian Briefings instead of our own. Journalists don't ask such inane questions and the experts seen to answer in a straightforward manner . I do feel though that we're suddenly going to be 'free' , and fall prey to every infection going because we've lost immunity even to coughs and colds .

NemosMum Tue 21-Apr-20 11:13:11

It's a question of getting things into perspective. It looks as though the Infection/Death ratio will be in little more than with seasonal flu by the time the antibody tests are done on the general population, but it will be a couple of years before the picture is clear. For now we have to live with it. Like many infections, some people will become very ill, some will not even notice they've had it and most will be somewhere in between. The difference with COVID-19 is that it is that none of the population has had it before, so the reason for the lockdown is that otherwise, the minority who are ill enough to need hospitalisation would have overwhelmed the beds, staff and equipment available. The truth is that it is likely that lockdown is to slow down the rate of acquisition, but it will not stop people from catching the disease in the long run. We will likely have 40,000 excess deaths due to COVID-19, but most years we have 8,000 deaths from seasonal flu, and we hear about that only when the ambulances are backed up at A&E in the winter, we don't particularly panic about catching it, and hardly anybody takes any special measures to avoid it. Thinking about risk, 27,000 people are killed or seriously injured on the roads every year. We don't ban cars, we have speed limits and cars have set belts and air bags. I think that once lockdown is over, we need to take reasonable precautions but avoid panic. Keep calm and carry on, to coin a phrase!

JaneRn Tue 21-Apr-20 11:19:52

Xrgran, leaving aside your other suggestions I would have to draw the line at washing vegetables in warm soapy water!

Like most of us I guess we are doing our best to protect ourselves from this virus - although I do think some of your measures are extreme and I don't think I could cope with them.

As to life under the lockdown, I have found one unexpected bonus. Walking through our virtually deserted town it is sad to see so many shops closed and wonder how many will ever open again although I expect the charity shops will survive. On the other hand it is so peaceful to walk on uncrowded pavements, no traffic and a lot less litter. Bliss!

SillyNanny321 Tue 21-Apr-20 11:20:03

Being on my own, not doing my little voluntary work that I managed even with my bit of disability, not getting out for very long all drive me crazy. The worst part is that at 75 we never know how much longer we have so not seeing my Family & seeing how fast young GC are growing is so very scary. Cannot wait to hug them all again but will they still want hugs from me this time next year as it may be that long before the over 70's & others shut in are freed???? Hate this damn virus!!

cc Tue 21-Apr-20 11:22:07

We won't be leaving lockdown until we can be vaccinated or the virus has disappeared. My DH has a dodgy heart and is over 70 and I just won't be taking the risk.
At the moment my car is at the garage waiting for parts and we will have to collect it at some stage, probably filling up carefully with petrol on the way home. Apart from this I can't see any reason to go out, unless there are medical reasons.
I do take online shopping to older neighbours who need it, but stay at a distance.