Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lockdown Over

(143 Posts)
Beau1958 Mon 20-Apr-20 13:07:29

I’m really afraid when this lockdown finishes. I feel ‘safe’ at the moment. My husband still works he has his own business so he will be returning when the lockdown is lifted. I’m just so worried he will bring it home and we will both go down with it. Obviously I want to see my grandchildren and I will when they say we can but will we just go back to square one again and numbers start creeping up again ? We are both in our mid sixties with no health issues so we will just have to carry on.

GreenGran78 Tue 21-Apr-20 17:32:24

And the Black Death killed almost half the population of Britain! We are much better at treating disease than we were even 100 years ago. I’m not making light of the present outbreak, but we need to get things into perspective, and not panic.
I know one person who has died. He was 50, but a heavy smoker. I know another, in his 60’s who has been in icu and very ill with the virus, but is now on the mend, with no damage to his lungs. There have been around 300 hospital deaths in my quite large area of the north-west. Quite a small proportion of hospitalised people actually die from the virus.
I know that this won’t allay the fears of most people, but there is really quite a small chance of dying from it.
The son who lives with me is still working, so we take sensible precautions, but I am not unduly worried. At 80, I am supposed to be at extra risk, but I would rather die from the virus than be stuck in a nursing home with dementia!
The one thing that I can’t understand is the number of Gransnetters hiding indoors, afraid and unwilling to get out for fresh air and exercise. As long as you avoid close contact with passers-by you can stay out as long as you want to. I am walking at least 4 miles a day, and often further. I’m enjoying the sunshine and long-distance chats to people I meet, and it is keeping me fit and cheerful. There’s no need to stay in, if you are able to walk.
Worrying does no good. It just makes you feel worse. I try to think positively. Though I know that I will be cautious when we start mixing again, we will have to take the risk at some point, or condemn ourselves to a miserable reclusive existence.

coggie Tue 21-Apr-20 17:36:40

Can "it"come in on your shoes?

willa45 Tue 21-Apr-20 17:45:41

Six to eight weeks ago, despite every effort, people were getting sick and people were dying because the risk of infection with this virus is very high This is a treacherous, illness that can also leave behind long term health damage.

There's still no vaccine, no cure and not enough testing to know who can spread it and who can't. That is why the RISK OF INFECTION REMAINS THE SAME! In fact, it could be even higher since there are now many more (unidentified) Covid positive people out there!. For the time being, Quarantine is the only thing that works and we know that because the numbers tell us so.

I hate to be the rainmaker in this discussion, but common sense should tell us that if quarantine works and nothing else does, then right now, we need to stay quarantined!
Better still, trust your own intellect as well as your instinct.

Dwmxwg Tue 21-Apr-20 18:26:56

When the lockdown started I had to self isolate with my husband as I had been in close contact with grandson who developed high temperature the next day.
When the 2 weeks had ended I too was anxious about leaving my safe bubble.
However I am now back at work nursing and I am the shopper too as my husband is in vulnerable category (I gave up trying to get a delivery slot). Yes I worry and I have had a few bad nights, not sleeping and having bad dreams. I try not to overthink things and take comfort that I am helping others

Maremia Tue 21-Apr-20 18:53:23

Yes, coggie, there was an excellent programme on TV recently, showing us how to keep our houses 'clean' during the pandemic, and they explained how 'it' can come in on your shoes. That's why you simply remove them at the door, and put on slippers/whatever instead.

Bluecat Tue 21-Apr-20 19:00:39

Coggie "it" can come in on your shoes. Leave them outside or spray them with disinfectant.

As for lifting the lockdown, what will prevent a second wave? If the curve is flattening, it means that the lockdown is working, not that the virus is going. What will stop it spreading through the population again?

There seems to be some reports that people who have had the virus may not be immune to another attack. If so, it doesn't only mean that herd immunity won't work, it has implications for a vaccine too. Maybe we just have to keep hoping for an effective treatment.

lindadrew Tue 21-Apr-20 19:09:18

they announced it was a security blunder and fake news about virus

GabriellaG54 Tue 21-Apr-20 19:09:48

Yes coggie apparently it can and has been found to be in pavements, trains, buses everywhere, and that is the news from notable scientists.
I have a plastic boot tray (the sort with raised ridges inside) to one side of my front porch. I bought a hard bristle mat to fit inside, then I poured a strong disinfectant (not bleach) inside to thoroughly soak the mat.
When I come home I wipe my shoes as if on a normal doormat before taking them off and placing the shoes (not me) on tip'toe in the porch so the soles get dry.

GabriellaG54 Tue 21-Apr-20 19:10:02

on not in

Nanna58 Tue 21-Apr-20 19:23:25

Growstuff, no one is suggesting flouting current rules, just how we will react when the lockdown is lifted. . I shall re enter life , albeit a little more cautiously then before. But I shall not denigrate those who wish to remain indoors, so please don’t do the same for those of us that will wish to venture out by suggesting we ‘wear a badge ‘

coggie Tue 21-Apr-20 19:28:54

mmm, I thought I was on top of things but I forgot shoes.

growstuff Tue 21-Apr-20 20:04:55

Nanna58 I just want to know which people won't be bothered about social distancing and seem to think that risks are worth it, so that I'm be able to keep away from them. Some people on here have said they're willing to risk their own lives. I'd rather they didn't risk mine.

vampirequeen Tue 21-Apr-20 20:13:07

When lockdown ends it won't be overnight. They'll gradually change the advice. Social distancing won't end overnight but it will eventually and I will happily go back to how we used to be. So I suggest you don't visit Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Cumbria or Northumberland because they tend to be the places I visit.

Phoebes Tue 21-Apr-20 20:17:48

Bluesmum- Thank you for your lovely common sense post. We are staying at home although we are not shielded. We think we have both had the dreaded bug, but it was before it really became widespread. My husband had it first, but as he is really fit, he only felt ill, with a high temperature and a cough, for a few days, although the cough did hang on for a few weeks.
Of course, I caught it from him, and I’m asthmatic, so
I was really ill. I was far worse than I have ever been with my asthma and couldn’t breathe. I had every single covid symptom. I went to the doctor a couple of times and had a chest x-ray which showed a patch of infection on my lung. My GP was so worried he sent me for a scan. This took place just as we were starting to get worried about covid and were just about to go into lockdown. This also showed infection on my lung and also lesions on my liver. I later read in the Times that liver lesions are a sign of Corona virus.
What amazes me is that none of the medical professionals I saw suspected that I could have Corona virus, even though I had all the symptoms. I know it was before it had really taken hold, but still. My husband later told me that there had been Chinese visitors to his table-tennis club and that after their visit, a lot of members became ill.
I hope we didn’t infect anyone unawares and,I wish we could to get tested to find out if we are immune, but this seems to be impossible.
Chin up, everyone, this is a wonderful opportunity to get things sorted out at home and in the garden, so that when this is all over we can all go out and have lots of fun without having to worry about housework and gardening!

oodles Tue 21-Apr-20 21:04:21

Well while I'd love to get back to normal I really don't want to get it, I live on my own for a start, so no one to look after me, my daughter doesn't live far away but her and her partner do essential jobs and if either of them got it from me that would be so difficult. I want to be able to visit my mum who is in her 90s, but she doesn't want me to travel. As she is well it's the best thing. Her twice daily carers are being very careful with hygiene. When eventually I do go out I will mask. I know that does not give full protection, but it would stop me from passing it on, and reduce the amount of virus I got. High viral load seems to put you at a higher risk, there is no zero risk but it seems to make sense to keep the risk as low as possible. There are people dying younger than I am who you would not expect to die in a flu epidemic. A d yes people die of flu, but these deaths are on top of those. I presume people build up some sort of immunity to different strains of flu over the tears. As someone said the second wave of Spanish flu killed more than the first lot.
Yes of course people die of other things but I personally try and avoid other causes of dying as much as possible, I look before I cross the road, I avoid cigarettes and try and live healthily, and if I get ill I try and do what is needed to recover. People may say when my time is up they'll go but I've heard of people who've said that shortly after having cancer treatment, if they really believed that they'd not have had the treatment
The other thing is the hospitals are maxed out and many routine things are being put on hold, some more serious things too, so the fewer of us that get it the easier for the health workers
My mum had me at 30 and is still enjoying life, if I can keep going I too could other accidents or illnesses permitting, have a similar life to enjoy

Fiachna50 Wed 22-Apr-20 02:30:56

I clean door handles, door bell, disinfect garden gate and door mat. I also disinfect my letter box and everytime I bring in the bin, the handles on that are disinfected too. On hard surfaces it can live for 72 hours. If lockdown happens, I won't be rushing out, they have to be careful we don't get a second peak. Folk are never happy, complaining they want out of lockdown but a few weeks ago complaining nothing was closed and not enough was being done. I don't understand it, we have to go by the scientists/medics advice. I feel fortunate to still be here,in WW2 my parents were separated by war,hungry,broke and at times wondering if they would be here the next day. In today's situation I know personally 2 people who have lost family members to this virus. They are carrying on under very difficult circumstances. I have nothing to complain about.

Sussexborn Wed 22-Apr-20 03:44:57

Quite pragmatic here. Doing what’s been asked and keeping our distance when we take our daily walk etc. If I should get it somehow then I appreciate I will probably feel very poorly but would be a bit shocked if I died. ???‍♀️

The journalists who keep asking for final dates when it will end should be pelted with rotten eggs and mouldy tomatoes.

Thecatshatontgemat Wed 22-Apr-20 07:48:13

I am dreading the return to "normal" too.
Once more the noise, pollution, traffic, Friday night drunks etc etc will start again.
Once again, us humans will foul our own nest......

Hetty58 Wed 22-Apr-20 08:06:55

Beau1958, there is nothing to prevent you continuing 'lockdown' until you feel confident that the threat is over.

Your husband can stay away - and you can resist the temptation to see your grandchildren.

Of course there will be a second wave of infections, it's inevitable. Don't be in the next batch of victims!

Hetty58 Wed 22-Apr-20 08:11:24

Phoebes, a lot of people suspect that they've already had it. They hope they have immunity.

However, there's no reliable scientific evidence to confirm that immunity follows infection (especially in mild cases) or lasts very long.

Elegran Wed 22-Apr-20 08:15:56

Reversing the lockdown won't be easy or quick. It will have to be very carefully managed,or the 80% of us who have had the virus will be suddenly exposed to it on all sides. I hope the authorities (and employers) are listening to people like those in this link.

theconversation.com/lockdown-uk-four-experts-explain-how-to-end-it-136436#Echobox=1587135072

Elegran Wed 22-Apr-20 08:20:33

I lost a "not" there - should be "80% of us who have had NOT had the virus"

Elegran Wed 22-Apr-20 08:35:00

Here is another piece about ". . . with growing evidence we are over peak, how close are we to meeting those five tests? And what else needs to be done?"
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52374513

FarNorth Wed 22-Apr-20 09:14:23

people will have to get their heads around the fact that unfortunately a lot more people will have to die in order to keep the country from total economic collapse.

Leaving aside our concerns for the health of ourselves and our families, if these necessary deaths (preceded by illness obviously) take place all at once the system won't be able to cope.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Apr-20 13:45:18

It seems we will be locked down for a lot longer yet

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/older-people-could-face-extended-coronavirus-lockdown-lords-hears