Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

One Banana - the perils of an online shop

(77 Posts)
Airedale19 Mon 20-Apr-20 18:26:18

Driver: “Is this your first online delivery? Thought so.”

Did it look as though I was about to smother this startled Anton Lesser lookalike in kisses or was it because of the contents of my crates?

Oh, the perils of an online shop.

Apart from being grateful for my long-awaited online delivery, the One Banana gave me the first fit of giggles that I’d experienced in weeks.

TwinLolly Tue 21-Apr-20 10:47:21

Ordering online in France.. hubby ordered 1 pepper and ended up with 6! (2 green, 2 yellow and 2 red peppers.) Eh?

Nightsky2 Tue 21-Apr-20 10:52:30

I thought I had ordered 7 2L bottles of milk and ended up with 7 4L bottles. That’s a lot of milk to freeze but I did find room for it. Thank heavens I defrosted the freezer just days before lockdown. I was wiser with my 2nd Tesco delivery but you do have to choose very very carefully. Problem now is getting a slot.

rockgran Tue 21-Apr-20 10:52:36

I've just received a huge Branston pickle and a tiny evaporated milk. I did the one banana thing too. Unless you can easily picture things by size in grams it can be a journey of discovery. Not complaining, though, just grateful. grin

Lilypops Tue 21-Apr-20 10:55:12

My daughter ordered mushrooms online. She got one mushroom !!

MamaCaz Tue 21-Apr-20 10:56:59

I have tried to learn from my mistakes, and made a mental note to check the predicted price of each item (s) in my basket, hoping that it would be easy to spot such errors if the price seemed disproportionate to the quantity I thought I had ordered.
So far, this has worked, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before another one slips through un-noticed,

DiW1 Tue 21-Apr-20 10:57:50

My partner ordered 6 large jars of nice coffee from Amazon last July. . Unfortunately, somehow he must have clicked a button to allow an automatic re-order every month and has only just worked out how to cancel the order. Do the maths....there’s only 2 of us.... am thinking of using them as a room divider

Tillybelle Tue 21-Apr-20 11:18:37

Luckylegs My experience too, that Tesco website is terrible! They have no excuses. Asda, for example, is very easy! In fact I found Asda much cheaper and the Drivers more friendly. Since I stock up on heavy stuff such as washing powder which is the same wherever I buy it, I prefer Asda.
That said I miraculously got a slot last night on Tesco for today! My first since lockdown and I am isolating. I'm wondering now what weird and wonderful things I ordered!

Stella14 Tue 21-Apr-20 11:27:58

I thought I was alone in receiving one banana instead of a bunch! This thread has made me laugh and my hubby out loud. We especially like the post about the one sprout served up with great ceremony grin

Jaycee5 Tue 21-Apr-20 11:30:52

I got one sprout once - and it was a small one - in its own clear plastic bag.

cc Tue 21-Apr-20 11:36:44

I normally do my grocery shopping online and am lucky because I've been given priority slots. I know that Waitrose is more expensive but the bonus is that you can choose whether or not the product can be substituted and there is a space for a note for every product so you can choose a sensible alternative (or none).

jaylucy Tue 21-Apr-20 11:41:40

Yep, I've done the carrot thing too - one time I got just one, the next time I got 3 bags of very large ones that most horses would love!
Thankfully at the time we had guinea pigs - so they had a good feed along with their dry food and some was sliced/ chopped and frozen.
My son did an online shop for me one time and we ended up with 4 jars of Nutella - but in this case it was deliberate . Wouldn't have minded, but they weren't even on special offer!

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 21-Apr-20 11:47:07

Never ordered groceries on line, and after reading the perils of other people's attempts, l never will.
But they did make me laugh....
It's out into the great outdoors for me, and off to the supermarket, to take my chances with the great unwashed.

Keep me covered, I'm going in........

Granny23 Tue 21-Apr-20 11:47:20

DD did a big online shop for her family (2 adults, 1 enormous teenager and a smaller child) + essentials for me. She was unable to complete her order because she had exceeded the limit of 80 items. On checking she discovered that her 3x bunches of Bananas had been counted as 15 items, her 2 packs of eggs as 18 items.

GabriellaG54 Tue 21-Apr-20 11:52:06

I would never order fruit or veg online. Many reviews, even reviews of the boxes which are popular now, say some fruits are damaged or past their best.
I would only order tins, laundry and w/up detergents, jars and packeted stuff with no substitutions. That would be the heavy stuff sorted and no disappointments.

Bijou Tue 21-Apr-20 11:56:32

I did hear once that someone ordered tampons and got a screwdriver instead!

GabriellaG54 Tue 21-Apr-20 11:57:47

1 enormous teenager?
What's size got to do with it?
It has no bearing on the quantity you eat.
Enormous = fat or enormous = tall?
A weird way to describe anyone.

cangran Tue 21-Apr-20 12:02:25

So funny to read your online shopping mistakes (or maybe not in the case of chocolate!). My daughter, who has had a once a week online shop with Tesco's since my gs was born nine years ago, still makes a few mistakes (possibly when being helped by gs). Once I went to babysit and found her small fridge completely full of humus! Although still hard to get a delivery slot, I was lucky to already be registered with Sainsbury's and it's been so useful. After three weeks we're still working our way through one enormous red cabbage. Previous to this, I wouldn't have wanted to order fruit and veg but the quality has been very good.

Tibbs Tue 21-Apr-20 12:12:03

Delivery driver asked my cousin if they had a pet monkey as she had mistakenly ordered 6 kilos of bananas,! He did take most of them back.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 21-Apr-20 12:23:56

I can order from my little village SPAR shop and collect it or have it delivered by a volunteer driver.

Rang to order (first one): "Can I have two oranges please?" Two bags of oranges arrived: 6 in each.

Rest of order I managed OK.

Harris27 Tue 21-Apr-20 12:24:49

I do Iceland mainly because it’s free delivery over £35 which I can spend easily and intend to get my heavy stuff and freezer stuff once a month anyway. I usually hate food shopping but I’ll treasure it when the lockdown is over and never moan again! Really!, ha ha it’s easy to navigate as well girls!

GrammaH Tue 21-Apr-20 12:41:27

You can make notes about items & say whether or not you'd like substitutions with Tesco as well as Waitrose cc. We used to have a very fussy cat & he'd only eat Sheba's fish flavour food so there was a permanent note not to substitute!! I've shopped with Tesco since they first started delivering in my very rural area 20 odd years ago when I went out to work. I've stuck with them as we've rarely had any sort of problem with them and on the odd few occasions when all was not quite right, the matter was quickly resolved. I have health issues & am a carer for my 93 year old dad & couldn't get delivery slots so I emailed the CEO & was fortunate enough to receive a reply within 3 hours & a delivery slot on the next day. I find Tesco's site very easy but then I've not tried any other and have a regular shopping list to click on. I once got about 8 blocks of cheese when I wanted one, I don't know how that happened!

Sussexborn Tue 21-Apr-20 12:45:21

Perhaps enormous teenager refers to their appetite! My grandsons put away piles of food. Growing boys but very sporty and constantly on the go. Glad I am not having to feed them with the current shortages.

I shopped online when it first started as OH worked erratic hours and I don’t drive. Best substitution was a huge piece of prime cod instead of fish fingers. I refused it but wonder what happens to the rejected items. The cod alone cost more than my main shop.

Tesco had a box where you could request no substitutes or state what you were prepared to accept though it took me a while to discover it. I liked the fact that you could keep an eye on the total and amend the order if necessary.

Very different shopping now with so much uncertainty. I went to the nearby Lidl about 7pm last night - no queue or crowd so, apart from the masked people and no eggs, all seemed almost normal.

marionk Tue 21-Apr-20 12:49:57

I reckon online shopping is just like Christmas - you know what you’ve asked for and wait expectantly to see what you get ?

cc Tue 21-Apr-20 12:50:08

Interesting to hear that I could make notes now about substitutes on the Tesco site. I stopped using them some years ago because there were so many substitutions.
I shop on Ocado and Waitrose now and am amazed by how good they've both been recently, not really many things are out of completely out of stock.

aonk Tue 21-Apr-20 12:52:09

It’s the substitutions which make me laugh! On the Sainsbury’s site you can choose whether or not to substitute every item. Under normal circumstances you can simply return unwanted substitutes to the driver but not at the moment of course. Last week I shared an order with my daughter. We got....
Cornflour for yeast
12 eggs for 6
Red lasagne sauce for white
Mixed peppers for mushrooms
Bhuna curry sauce for tikka paste
and these are just the ones I can remember!