Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

One Banana - the perils of an online shop

(76 Posts)
Airedale19 Mon 20-Apr-20 18:26:18

Driver: “Is this your first online delivery? Thought so.”

Did it look as though I was about to smother this startled Anton Lesser lookalike in kisses or was it because of the contents of my crates?

Oh, the perils of an online shop.

Apart from being grateful for my long-awaited online delivery, the One Banana gave me the first fit of giggles that I’d experienced in weeks.

Charleygirl5 Mon 20-Apr-20 18:27:58

Marginally better than 3 grapes!

Lizbethann55 Mon 20-Apr-20 18:40:59

Some years ago I ordered 8 apples. Except I got 8 bags of apples . 64 apples!! Fortunately at the time my son was studying drama at the college literally round the corner from us and our house was always full of students. I doubt they have ever eaten so many apples in their lives!🤣🤣

Iam64 Mon 20-Apr-20 18:41:14

Yes, I made the one potato, one carrot, one leek mistake on my first online shop

Sussexborn Mon 20-Apr-20 18:46:37

A young man I know was having a barbecue and invited about 20 friends. He clicked on 20 chicken legs and ended up with 20 kgs!

MamaCaz Mon 20-Apr-20 18:52:54

It's only from reading posts like this in the past that I avoided making the same mistake.

Even now, I have to check several times that I haven't accidently ordered five kilos of bananas when I only want five bananas!

(This reminds me of shopping in Spain many years ago and asking for a quarter of a kilo of mushrooms, then waiting patiently while the assistant went away, came back with loads of bags and proceeded to fill them with four kilos ...! In fact, I know someone who had a very similar incident in France, only their mix-up involved those quantities of very expensive prime beef that she wanted mincing!)

lemongrove Mon 20-Apr-20 19:34:29

My DD ended up with six bunches of bananas Airedale ....I had to laugh.

Luckylegs Mon 20-Apr-20 23:38:13

Got my first ever online shop today and it’s not my fault! The Tesco site is very complicated to use! I only managed to order 4 bags of kiwi fruit, containing 6 fruits in each, so now I’m the proud owner of 24 kiwi fruits! I’m so mad at myself! It was the only mistake I made though, in my defence.

Mamissimo Mon 20-Apr-20 23:41:22

Now I understand the nation’s current obsession with banana bread! 😂

Alishka Mon 20-Apr-20 23:51:54

We had ONE sprout to share between us one Christmas dinner.grin OK, not everyone likes sprouts but we love them. It was cooked and served up with great ceremony, divided between the three of us. And it wasn't a very big sprout to start with, but it was certainly memorable grin

welbeck Tue 21-Apr-20 00:12:43

i'm sure i'd get in a right muddle. never done it. luckily am still able to get out, but wary of doing so.
if lidl ever bring it in, i might be tempted.
i couldn't at the moment anyway, as i do not have reliable kit to access internet.
i heard of someone ordering some type of special whipping cream. the shop had run out. so they substituted, suncream.

Humbertbear Tue 21-Apr-20 07:41:46

Checking through what I had ordered yesterday I discovered I had ordered 12kg of satsumas. Fortunately I was able to get through on the phone and cancel. I’d never have heard the end of it had they been delivered. Even now , when we can’t go out, my DH hates online shopping for groceries.

Ankara2005 Tue 21-Apr-20 09:50:38

I found it very funny when I took delivery of one, solitary carrot instead of a kilo.

Maccyt1955 Tue 21-Apr-20 10:00:20

Airdale19.....if your delivery man looked like Anton Lesser, no wonder you were laughing.
He has the most wonderful voice!
😍

polnan Tue 21-Apr-20 10:08:47

I so look forward to any delivery type person coming to my front door

where is Royal Mail? is it just me not receiving any mail?

yes, I did the one banana... glad to know I am not the only stupid person

puppytoe Tue 21-Apr-20 10:14:17

I've had online deliveries for over 20years but even I don't know how I ended up with 20 strawberry mousses in one Asda shop! It was in the days when it was all in plastic bags so I didn't realise until the delivery van had departed. Luckily my autistic son was very fond of his strawberry mousse so they all got eaten.

humptydumpty Tue 21-Apr-20 10:16:45

I remember the first time I did an online shop I made the opposite mistake from Airedale and ended up with 8 bunches of bananas instead of 8 bananas! I managed to find good homes for 7 of the 8 bunches with friends and colleagues smile

Aepgirl Tue 21-Apr-20 10:17:23

Oh to be able to get an online order. Over 4 weeks ago, and still no slots. I would gladly accept anything now - substations, etc.

Atqui Tue 21-Apr-20 10:24:07

Me-16 litres of tonic water- 4x4. Good thing it was Christmas!

Purplepixie Tue 21-Apr-20 10:27:36

I’m glad I read this as I was just about to place my very first order and on the list is a bottle of essential GIN! I probably wont get it and end up with the 16 bottles of tonic water instead. Oh well, it is all making us have a bit of a titter!

NotSpaghetti Tue 21-Apr-20 10:28:23

I am also still trying to get a delivery slot Aepgirl and would be pleased for virtually anything close to what I'd ordered... but I've no idea what I'd do with a substation 😁

computor Tue 21-Apr-20 10:28:57

if you have a Morrisons near you ,they do food boxes for 35pounds with basic things which lasts a week,

henetha Tue 21-Apr-20 10:32:34

I got 12 large bars of plain chocolate in one delivery.
When I checked it was my fault, I had ordered 12! Finger must have slipped, - or was it wishful thinking!

Craftycat Tue 21-Apr-20 10:35:02

This thread has given me the best laugh I've had for days.
Thank you all.
Now I know why I insist on doing my own shopping & not get it delivered. I did for 6 weeks a couple of years ago when I broke my foot & could not drive & DH had a long list to pick up on way home every week!
The delivery man was lovely though - insisted on carrying it all through to kitchen for me every time. I did have a very bright pink bandage up to my knee so it looked worse than it actually was. I wrote to Sainsbury's afterwards to say how helpful he had been.

Witzend Tue 21-Apr-20 10:37:24

If we had online food shopping I’m quite sure I’d ‘mistakenly’ order 12 bars of lovely nutty chocolate instead of just one.
(And then hide most of them from dh).