Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lied to about PPE delivery from Turkey.

(200 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 21-Apr-20 12:36:18

They didn't REQUEST it until Sunday. It isn't late at all.

*'On the Turkish side, two sources said a formal request from the UK related to the PPE consignment was not made until Sunday and the Turkish authorities immediately assisted.

The sources also revealed that the manufacturer of the goods bound for the UK only submitted a request to the Turkish ministry of health on Monday for permission to export the gear.'*

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-only-formally-asked-turkey-for-ppe-shipment-after-it-said-it-was-already-on-its-way-11976238?fbclid=IwAR2PcsboNrKiq82J0H0T-I7yFoiXkghoS4u3E2NTAXiZlE3YxNwMAglwP2Y

Eglantine21 Tue 21-Apr-20 12:44:35

I think you’ve misread it. I hope not deliberately.

The PPE equipment had been ordered from a Turkish manufacturer.

He failed to submit the correct export paperwork. The consignment was held in Turkey.

The British Government then involved the Turkeys she Government to get a speedy release. The paperwork was submitted on Monday.

It’s not quite the same as “they didn’t order(request) it till Sunday.

I do wish we stuck to facts.

Ilovecheese Tue 21-Apr-20 12:45:19

More of a fudge than a downright lie, I think. They had to be seen to be doing something about the lack of equipment, hard to admit to incompetence, no one wants an incompetent government (although we do seem to have one at the moment). Any criticism of this government is somehow equated with being a bitter lefty (Jeremy Hunt, really a bitter lefty?) Or of not loving our country.

GagaJo Tue 21-Apr-20 12:51:24

On the Turkish side, two sources said a formal request from the UK related to the PPE consignment was not made until Sunday and the Turkish authorities immediately assisted.

Quite possible that I HAVE misread Eglantine2. I skimmed it. I'm busy reading student drivel work. But I THINK the above says the UK didn't request it until Sunday.

Eglantine21 Tue 21-Apr-20 12:58:26

The trouble is when people distort what really happened for their own ends, it becomes very difficult to disentangle what is really going wrong from the distortion and sometimes downright lies.

My family is on the front line. Some equipment is in short supply. Some isn’t. Nobody wants there to be enough PPE more than me.

All this fake indignation and political point scoring is making it more difficult for the people who are trying to get the right stuff to the right place.

People who post these sensational stories are equally responsible for shortages in PPE by deliberately confusing things.

I wish they’d consider the people on the front line before they pursue their ideologies from the comfort of their sitting rooms.

Eglantine21 Tue 21-Apr-20 13:00:27

The request was for the Turkish Government to expedite the missing paperwork as quickly as possible.

It wasn’t, as you imply, an order for PPE.

Jane10 Tue 21-Apr-20 13:01:08

Well said Eglantine21!

GagaJo Tue 21-Apr-20 13:07:35

No need for aggression Eglantine. It was a genuine question and I take your point.

However, the plane sent for the order didn't leave the UK until Monday. So nothing is late.

I think whoever is giving information out to the public in the UK REALLY should just stick to the facts. Because a lot of the time, they get caught out and that causes distrust.

ginny Tue 21-Apr-20 13:09:18

As I have said before , it is quite amazing how things can be twisted to say whatever any particular person wants them to say.

MerylStreep Tue 21-Apr-20 13:11:55

Meanwhile, Nissan in Sunderland are distributing 100,000 face visors a week
But 'some people' don't want to hear good news, do they?

Jane10 Tue 21-Apr-20 13:14:32

I'm not the only one who's thoroughly sick of the negative journalism going on right now. I know a lot of people switch off after the daily briefing before the journalists inane questions start. I marvel at the quiet, polite, patience of the ministers and medics involved. I wish I'd seen Jenny Harries ever so nicely snap back at that journalist the other day. Lots of people on twitter seem to have enjoyed it.

Smileless2012 Tue 21-Apr-20 13:15:26

Good that you presented the actual facts Eglantine; thank you for that.

Perhaps you should consider the final paragraph in your last post GagaJo before stating in the future that the Government is lying.

GagaJo Tue 21-Apr-20 13:58:16

Possibly Smileless2012. And possibly Tories on here could occasionally make a slight nod to the fact that the the UK has one of the worst records for handling the virus around the world. Bested only by Trump.

They DID lie. They lied and said it should be on its way. It couldn't be on its way. The plane wasn't there. They hadn't done the documentation.

GagaJo Tue 21-Apr-20 14:00:27

I just wonder how many deaths there will be before you can admit MAYBE mistakes have been made.

grandMattie Tue 21-Apr-20 14:04:47

Hindsight has 20/20 vision

Smileless2012 Tue 21-Apr-20 14:11:43

I don't doubt that mistakes have been made GagaJo mistakes have been made by those in power all over the world. Mistakes would have been made regardless of who was in charge. The Gov. couldn't have known that the Turkish manufacturer hadn't submitted the correct paperwork.

Our Gov. doesn't have a crystal ball that some people seem to be blessed with.

Jane10 Tue 21-Apr-20 14:17:06

There's nothing like 20/20 hindsight. Journalists and anti govt types seem especially blessed with this.

Glorybee Tue 21-Apr-20 14:17:12

Yesterday we ordered a toy garage for our grandson’s birthday, as far as I’m concerned, it was on its way from then on, it is being processed. In the same way, the plane was sent when things had progressed along the line, after the Turkish manufacture had messed up on the paperwork sent earlier and it had to be pushed further up, to their govt level.

ChrisT Tue 21-Apr-20 14:18:19

I love how some people know the actual facts. How?

We only know what we are told and have to evaluate what we believe from past experiences. The government has lied, they have told the truth on other occasions but I don't believe anyone on here knows ALL the facts about every establishment and their stock of PPE.

Having been on the frontline and short of equipment, I've had to be quiet about it and I had no idea what another group have in the way of equipment. One department will not know the actual facts about another department within the same establishment.

I have been told what is happening in one care home, I can't say it is the same in every care home. No one knows the actual facts, only what they choose to believe are facts. I avoid most papers because they lie as much as the government.

We all have opinions, some educated, some biased. That is all we have.

ExD Tue 21-Apr-20 14:21:07

My very first thought on hearing the news was 'they've been scammed'.

Callistemon Tue 21-Apr-20 14:28:02

No need for aggression Eglantine.
I think Eglantine has been perfectly polite especially when answering points about fake news.

I just wonder how many deaths there will be before you can admit MAYBE mistakes have been made.
Do you mean mistakes by China or do you mean a deliberate cover-up of the truth regarding the virus, Gagajo?

NfkDumpling Tue 21-Apr-20 14:39:10

A little bit of me would love for Robert Peston to be Prime Minister for six months with Laura Kuenssberg as Chancellor with the other carping journalists whose names I don’t pay attention to in the rest of government. It’s only a little bit of me that dreams of this as I rather fear they’d make a complete b**l’s up of it.

GagaJo Tue 21-Apr-20 14:40:08

I mean mistakes by everyone. And since I'm English and living through it here, I mean in my country.

Of course I would have felt the same, regardless of who was in power. I'm not implying any different and as I've said many times, I'm not interested in party politics right now. It isn't the time. BUT the UK has had one of the worst responses. Many people have said an inquiry is needed after we are past the worst.

And Callistemon, I don't know about you, but

'distort for your own ends'

fake indignation and political point scoring

People who post these sensational stories are equally responsible for shortages in PPE by deliberately confusing things

pursue their ideologies from the comfort of their sitting rooms

ALL of those are rude.

As I said above and say again. Party politics are out of the window for me. Not for you Eglantine or Callistemon, obviously.

And to say that I am equally responsible for shortages in PPE by deliberately confusing things is absolutely farcical. You won't hold GOVERNMENT to account but you will hold a granny in her sitting room for non delivery/providing of PPE? That is beyond ridiculous, an genuinely funny use of hyperbole.

trisher Tue 21-Apr-20 14:40:37

So if someone announces on a Saturday that something will be arriving on the Sunday but actually it can't because a) they haven't done the paperwork and b)the means of transport hasn't yet left the UK what else can they be doing but lying? They didn't say perhaps it will come, they didn't say they were hoping it would come. They said it was coming and it wasn't! Much like the proposed number of tests per day they were saying they would reach this is pure propaganda from a government that has messed things up from the start and continues to do so. It isn't unpatriotic to say so. It is standing up for all those struggling to manage things, You know the NHS and care staff we all clap for on Thursdays. Instead of doing that it might help to acknowledge what a useless lying lot are running things.

GagaJo Tue 21-Apr-20 14:41:09

distort
fake
sensational
confusing
ideologies

ALL emotive language. Not neutrally questioning at all.