Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lied to about PPE delivery from Turkey.

(201 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 21-Apr-20 12:36:18

They didn't REQUEST it until Sunday. It isn't late at all.

*'On the Turkish side, two sources said a formal request from the UK related to the PPE consignment was not made until Sunday and the Turkish authorities immediately assisted.

The sources also revealed that the manufacturer of the goods bound for the UK only submitted a request to the Turkish ministry of health on Monday for permission to export the gear.'*

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-only-formally-asked-turkey-for-ppe-shipment-after-it-said-it-was-already-on-its-way-11976238?fbclid=IwAR2PcsboNrKiq82J0H0T-I7yFoiXkghoS4u3E2NTAXiZlE3YxNwMAglwP2Y

GrannyLaine Wed 22-Apr-20 19:29:06

Sorry Jane10, crossed posts.

growstuff Wed 22-Apr-20 19:36:04

Hmmm …

Far be it from me to want a military takeover, but this is significant …

metro.co.uk/2020/04/22/army-appalled-way-nhs-handled-ppe-crisis-want-take-12593372/?ico=pushly-notifcation-small&utm_source=pushly

I have every respect for the army's logistic and organisational capabilities.

growstuff Wed 22-Apr-20 19:44:57

I do actually have some respect for a few Conservative MPs. Two of them are Toby Ellwood and Tom Tugendhat. I don't agree with their political stance, but I do respect their straightforward, logical, no nonsense approach. It's interesting that both have a military background and neither is considered a Conservative "star".

In a crisis, I want competent, honest politicians, who can get the job done. Sadly, the current cabinet is lacking those attributes.

coggie Wed 22-Apr-20 19:55:08

Granny L, sounds promising

Urmstongran Wed 22-Apr-20 20:18:35

Thank god for the Army.
??
Professional men, doing what they’ve been trained for.
I’m so grateful to them.
And for them - in our time of great national need.

Callistemon Wed 22-Apr-20 20:20:34

Hear, hear, Urmstongran

growstuff Wed 22-Apr-20 20:22:59

I agree with you Jane10. I've written about it on another thread.

growstuff Wed 22-Apr-20 20:24:58

I'm not going to thank God for the army. However, they are trained for this kind of eventuality and their expertise needs to be used. They show up how useless MPs are.

growstuff Wed 22-Apr-20 20:25:38

PS. What does GB mean?

coggie Wed 22-Apr-20 21:17:50

" great national need" ....more like " great national mess"

lemongrove Wed 22-Apr-20 22:45:17

So amusing that left wing posters on GN won’t believe a word of what the government says and constantly try to rubbish just about everything that goes on, whilst swallowing whole anything that any other country put out, including China.
Our army and NHS and politicians are all working flat out for the health of this nation.Most people are pulling together and volunteering and doing small acts of kindness in their neighbourhoods, it’s a joy to behold.
The carping critics are well out of step with the country in general, and for that I say thank God.

Eloethan Thu 23-Apr-20 00:41:33

I don't think anybody is criticising the fantastic work that "ordinary people" have put in. In fact, they often seem to have been more proactive and innovative than politicians and council officials.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Apr-20 07:42:29

Delay and dither has characterised the government from the very beginning.

Usually such delay and dither doesn’t really matter and it is just put down to incompetence, laziness etc.

But in this case it has caused untold deaths

Of course Tory supporters appear able to overlook this fact.

Just as they can overlook the fact that austerity, which they consistently voted for has also caused major issues like lack of preparedness that was strongly advised in 2017.

Not us guv. We support the great British public with their backs to the wall. Look how hard they are all working, all these essential workers. Look how they are all pulling together. Of course we expect nothing less in times of crises. And don’t they dare criticise the government for having to put their lives at unnecessary risk. Now is not the time to moan whilst they are dying for the cause. Now is the time for the British stiff upper lip, and to show solid support for our dear leader (how is he by the way).

But we voted against any pay rise for those wonderful NHS staff. We will do so again if as a result of the economic crises out Tory government decides to revert to austerity which screwed the poor and made the wealthy even wealthier. Of course we would.

When our backs are against the wall and our wealth is threatened, we know which side our bread is buttered and who we will vote for.

Sod the essential workers.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Apr-20 07:52:28

Jon Harding

They did nothing
It stood back and allowed 1000s to catch Covid-19.
Come down the pub said Stan.
Shake my hand, said his stupid son.
Come to Cheltenham, said the Jockey Club
Come down my pub, said crazy Tim
We wash our hands, they said
But, they washed their hands of us

coggie Thu 23-Apr-20 07:52:54

Its quite a leap from...I'm not happy with the way the government is handling this to Rubbishing the government to Everything China does is great.

And as for a joy to behold?

GagaJo Thu 23-Apr-20 08:40:28

Quite coggie.

I have VERY little interest in actual politics at the moment. It isn't the time. As the left-wingers keep reiterating.

What matters is having reliable leaders. IF Cummings is able to manage this situation well, despite him not being an elected official, let him take over, I say.

We need someone who can deal with this. Not to delay making decisions until the UK loses out, with MASSIVE cost to life.

If the government can't do it, WHY don't they employ someone who can? OR let the army take over?

GagaJo Thu 23-Apr-20 08:43:16

FFS we have over 20K deaths (because of the fake side-lined reporting of care home deaths).

It is blatantly obvious those in charge have no idea what they're doing.

And for those right-wingers who keep bleating on about China, OUR GOVERNMENT is consistently lying to us (and the world) about our situation. Something you (rightly) castigate in relation to China. So WHY is OK for our officials to do it?

growstuff Thu 23-Apr-20 09:22:06

Another smirker who finds this "amusing"? angry

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Apr-20 09:30:02

growstuff yes and don’t you dare criticise.

MaizieD Thu 23-Apr-20 10:34:12

I didn't think the post was worth responding to. Full of bile and unevidenced assertions.

maddyone Thu 23-Apr-20 12:00:49

The reporting, or lack of reporting, of care home deaths and deaths at home makes me very cross. Don’t these people matter just because they’re old? I understand there are issues re the actual reporting of these deaths which happen outside of hospitals, but it cannot be beyond the wit of man to tell us, albeit belatedly, the number of people dying outside of hospital.
I’m afraid that as the hospital deaths start to come down that it will be taken as a sign to start to come out of lockdown, and the continuing deaths at home or in care homes will be ignored. They were completely ignored until journalists and care home staff started to talk about it.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Apr-20 12:04:47

If there are going to be second and third waves, the government absolutely must tackle the issue of care homes and any institution that means the resident has close contact.

It needs sorting out now quite frankly. There are enough deaths already. How frightening if you live in one of theses instructions.

maddyone Thu 23-Apr-20 12:11:35

Absolutely Whitewave, I’m so relieved that my elderly mother lives in a sheltered apartment. We deliver her shopping for her, we tag it on to our Click and Collect. She’s probably quite lonely even though lots of us (her family) phone every day, but she’s safe in her little apartment. I would be absolutely beside myself if she lived in a care home. The families of residents of care homes must be so very frightened for their relatives.

Evoha16 Thu 23-Apr-20 12:18:16

If Cummings takes over be prepared to be collateral damage - re herd immunity

GagaJo Thu 23-Apr-20 13:56:42

That is probably true Evohal6, but surely the vast majority of the at risk groups now know what to do. E.g. shield or isolate. IF you have to go out, social distance as much as possible.

While I absolutely hold those in charge as responsible for this mess, we CAN do what we need to, to keep ourselves safe, regardless what is coming from the government.