Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Cummings on Sage?

(33 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 24-Apr-20 19:42:52

All along we have been told that the government is following the best scientific advice. However according to this article Cummings and another adviser have been on this supposedly independent body:
www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/24/revealed-dominic-cummings-on-secret-scientific-advisory-group-for-covid-19
This must raise a massive amount of questions?

GagaJo Sun 26-Apr-20 22:40:23

QQ, anyone who is prepared to put profit over their country and before people’s lives makes me sick to the pit of my stomach. Left, right or centre politics is irrelevant.

Dollymc1 Sun 26-Apr-20 22:26:13

Quiz, it's gone beyond Brexit now pet

SirChenjin Sun 26-Apr-20 20:41:06

I would suggest you don’t put money on that bet quizqueen - you’ll be out of pocket.

quizqueen Sun 26-Apr-20 20:32:33

I bet if DC was the biggest Remainer in the world, none of you would bat an eyelid at what he involved with!!!

paddyanne Sun 26-Apr-20 20:20:56

according to todays papers ,two of Cummings mates are on SAGE as scienticfic advisors,one who only qualified 2 years ago and one who already got a £250 MILLION contract from the government ....jobs for the boys?

Dollymc1 Sun 26-Apr-20 19:29:16

David Davis (former Brexit Secretary) said "There is a thing known as the Heisenberg principle, which means that you can't observe something without influencing it"
Worrying times indeed
The government needs to uphold transparency and honesty and I am far from convinced that they will do so

NfkDumpling Sun 26-Apr-20 17:29:34

Quite SirChenjin

SirChenjin Sat 25-Apr-20 23:38:08

We are going along with the science that Dom deems is appropriate.

Daisymae Sat 25-Apr-20 23:04:47

Cummins is no shrinking violet. It's hard to imagine any meeting where he has just taken the role of observer. The full minutes must be published. The plea that we are just going along with the science has never sounded more hollow

MaizieD Sat 25-Apr-20 20:23:51

There is absolutely no reason why Cummings should be at a SAGE meeting, apart from as an observer, perhaps.

From the article:

"Former chief scientific adviser, Sir David King, said he was shocked to discover there were political advisers on Sage."

"David Liddington .... de facto deputy to Theresa May .... said 'I'm not aware of any minister or special adviser, ...., ever having been involved in the scientific advisory panels..."

"Other Sage participants told the Guardian that the Downing Street afvisers were not merely observing the advisory meetings but were actively participating is discussions about the formulation of advice"

Cummings is not a scientist. Repeat; not a scientist. He has no place on the panel. Nor any right to be formulating scientific advice.

I really don't think that some tory supporters have any idea about what is and is not appropriate for Cummings to have involvement in.

Bloody Boris shouldn't be there, either.

Urmstongran Sat 25-Apr-20 19:54:23

DC is a SpAd. Of course he should be there. If Boris isn’t.

NfkDumpling Sat 25-Apr-20 19:23:55

I was concerned about the amount of power and influence Alastair Campbell had but Dominic Cummings seems to have taken it to a whole new level.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Apr-20 19:17:02

I wonder what history will make of this period. It will make interesting reading.

trisher Sat 25-Apr-20 18:43:20

We effectively have a PM who has handed everything over to his chief adviser who has always been running things. It's the end of democracy really. Boris is the front man and Cummings is pulling the strings.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Apr-20 16:26:57

God knows maizie

MaizieD Sat 25-Apr-20 16:18:19

Who is going to make them do that?

Will there be any probing questions about this from the journalists at this afternoon's press conference?

Will any of tomorrow's papers run critical articles on it?

Already the BBC has had Cumming's wife on R4 Today telling us about his battle with covid-19 and what a nice man he is. Why on earth should that be even considered as a news item, unless to deflect attention from the more critical story about her husband?

There are no checks on this government. They are free to do whatever they want.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:45:32

The Government has to come clean over this and very soon.
Preferably today and then publish all the minutes of the meetings that Cummings has attended.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:42:37

Strange times when I find myself agreeing with Davis

David Davis
@DavidDavisMP
· 4h
We should publish the membership of SAGE: remove any non-scientist members: publish their advice in full: and publish dissenting opinions with the advice.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Apr-20 08:38:55

Guck!!, guv. Obvs.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Apr-20 08:38:15

Of course one would indeed hope that the meetings were conducted properly, but with Cummings attending he will be fully aware as a result of the advise that was put aside and therefore able to advise Johnson of the other possibility other than the advise given to the government by SAGE.

It therefore becomes a political choice rather than action based on scientific advise.

This will blow up in Johnson’s face, as previously he could say it wasn’t me guck it was the scientists what advised it.

He can no longer do that.

Daisymae Sat 25-Apr-20 08:08:43

The chief government advisor on what has always been an independent group giving independent advice.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Apr-20 08:06:26

So public can no longer be confident that the advise from SAGE is unadulteratedly independent.

Cummings is behaving way above his pay grade and ability, and we are being poorly served.

MaizieD Fri 24-Apr-20 22:21:30

Which advice, Hetty?

Well, it looks as though it's the nonscientist's advice!

Since when have scientists been in agreement?

That, to me, is about as nihilistic statement as 'all politicians tell lies'.

Who do you suggest we take notice of, then?

Hetty58 Fri 24-Apr-20 22:11:34

Since when have scientists been in agreement? I'm irritated every time they mention 'scientific advice'. Which advice?
There's a choice of advice. They sound like they're talking to small children.

May7 Fri 24-Apr-20 22:05:15

We noticed Chris Whittie was looking a bit frazzled edgy uncomfortable at the briefing. It made me nervous about the science too. Also they keep changing the charts why? and China are no longer on the Global chart