Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Week 6 and a lifechanger for me...

(71 Posts)
ArtySue Sun 03-May-20 06:38:08

Bear with me, it's a bit long... as a child my mum (lovely person, but we were poor and she was hard-pressed) used to shoo me out of the kitchen to 'go and paint with your dad' (the quintessential impoverished artist), hence I became a cooking-hating artist (someone has to be ha ha). All my life I've envied people who loved cooking. I've tried and tried to enjoy it but never managed it. I've lapped up the TV cookery programmes but never got the cooking bug. Cooking has been an ordeal. Until now. Week 6 of lockdown and I find I can't do anything artycrafty and suddenly I've started enjoying cooking! Yesterday I made beetroot, cumin and tomato soup. I wish you could know what a breakthrough this is for me, a life-changer. Sorry to ramble on....!

Eskay10 Sun 03-May-20 10:36:52

I just can’t get around to anything at the moment. I have worked, knitted, sewn, cooked and even done some building work in the past, but unfortunately age has overtaken enthusiasm. I did manage a Victoria sponge for DH birthday last week, but I mostly now follow YouTube with virtual cooking, sewing, gardening, any other practical skill - it’s a great time stealer!

sarahellenwhitney Sun 03-May-20 10:53:21

Artysue. Well its a start. Cumin, beetroot and tomato soup.What recipe book did that one come from ?

mrswoo Sun 03-May-20 10:53:25

Happy Birthday Artysue! flowers
I too had an artistic mother but sadly I never inherited any of her talents. She was also a good cook but never followed a recipe - I've taken after her in that respect. Not that I'm a brilliant cook - but like she did I chuck everything in the pot and hope it turns out ok. It does, most of the time.

Joesoap Sun 03-May-20 11:00:59

ArtySue
Well done, congratulations on your new acheivement.If I lived nearer I would join the others,and come for lunch what shall I bring?
A Happy Birthday to you.

Missgran Sun 03-May-20 11:03:34

Happy birthday I have discovered bread making and cookie making

Applegran Sun 03-May-20 11:07:34

Happy Birthday ArtySue! Please can I come to the lunch in the garden to celebrate with you? I used to feel I was no good at cooking, though I did it all the time for family - and then I discovered that I could enjoy it and make food people really enjoyed! Now it is a real pleasure - I mostly make up what I cook depending on what is in the fridge, but occasionally get new ideas from recipe books. Have a lovely day!

MadeInYorkshire Sun 03-May-20 11:08:12

I used to love cooking, but as I am now disabled it has become a huge chore and I don’t do it anymore Just standing stirring hurts and as for chopping stuff up, my hands seize up! Also often feel nauseous and don’t want to eat anything, so am living on soup and toast at the moment. Not great ....

weenanni59 Sun 03-May-20 11:08:43

Happy birthday ArtySue
Love the sound of that soup ! I will have to try it .
I have always cooked but I can’t bake .... my mother was a good baker and I wish I had paid more attention... although she wasn’t a great cook so I suppose we all have our wee things that we are better at .
Have a lovely day

Jishere Sun 03-May-20 11:13:59

Happy Birthday ArtySue, what a lovely post this as made me smile. Have a lovely day and I hope you cook something nicex

JaneRn Sun 03-May-20 11:18:22

NanKate, join the Club! I love cooking but I am not averse to using the odd convenience food. Give your husband frozen vegetables occasionally and if he objects invite him to help prepare fresh ones. Meanwhile, I could happily enjoy your diet. Can't you persuade husband to try it if only for one day sometimes?

Cobweb01 Sun 03-May-20 11:22:09

That's wonderful, such a great discovery!

luluaugust Sun 03-May-20 11:26:29

Happy Birthday, I have rediscovered my watercolours oh dear! would it be alright if I bring sausage rolls

Daisyboots Sun 03-May-20 11:28:35

Happy birthday ArtySue I cant draw for toffee nor can I sing. But I have always enjoyed cooking and used to enjoy sewing and knitting.
Callistemon I now make my quiches without pastry as they taste just as good and without the palaver of making the pastry. It started when I was on a low carb diet and now it just seems normal .

Lizzies Sun 03-May-20 11:38:04

My Mum tried to teach me to cook before I left home, but I didn’t get on very well. I got married and they all thought we would starve! After a few false starts I got into my stride and my Mum said my Christmas cake was better than hers!

4allweknow Sun 03-May-20 11:45:56

The older I have grown the less iinterested I have become in cooking. Could exist on oatcakes, variety of cheeses, bit of fruit, homemade mushrooms and tarragon, broccoli and stilton soup. Used to love cooking/baking often taking to the kitchen late at naught to whip up something special for the family meals next day. Cooking seems so repetitive now.

Beloulou Sun 03-May-20 11:50:38

Happy Cake Day, ArtySue! Have a lovely day.
I’m still working, so not yet with much leisure time but I much prefer eating to cooking ?

ArtySue Sun 03-May-20 12:07:40

What lovely people you all are...
sarahellenwhitney - the soup was from the cookbook of Google. smile I can't remember which one exactly. My daughter suggested I add red lentils and it was good, plus a bit of chilli. (This post has certainly digressed: a lockdown/art class/birthday/cookery forum. Just like being with my best mates, where the conversation goes every which way. smile)

ArtySue Sun 03-May-20 12:10:15

PS I have knitted lots of mushrooms and other veg. shock On that happy note I'm off to celebrate with my daughter, in a different room, just to ring the changes.

Tabbycat Sun 03-May-20 12:16:14

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ArtySue! flowers

I did all the cooking and baking in our household for the first 30 years of marriage, now my husband does most of it. He is cooking our Sunday roast as I type!
smile

NannaLyn Sun 03-May-20 12:17:20

ArtySue

Another happy birthday from me.

How lovely to have such a cheerful post! So many on Gransnet these days seem to criticise and moan!

Have a fantastic day and keep safe.

X

NemosMum Sun 03-May-20 12:31:12

Happy Birthday and congratulations on your new-found cookery skills! flowerswinesunshine

Theoddbird Sun 03-May-20 12:48:10

How wonderful. I am still waiting for the cooking bug to hit. I much prefer to sit and sew or craft. I have got frozen pastry (2 different types) in my cluck and collect order for next Saturday so watch this space...hahaha

bongobil Sun 03-May-20 12:55:24

I feel the same about cooking, very basic cook here! My 2 sisters both love to cook all sorts of different things, I love going there when we can to try what they have made. Think I am more like my Mum, not sure who they take after, only wish I could cook better!

JMarion Sun 03-May-20 13:04:05

Some people have taken up activities during this lockdown that we would not have contemplated before and found an unexpected tlent or pleasure. After this is all over will we go back to our usual selves or will lwe carry on with the new hobbies or activities that we have discovered? I do hope we will. Life seems to have expanded for a lot of us!

Anrol Sun 03-May-20 13:11:14

Happy birthday Artysue! It’s my birthday today too. Sorry I’m late for lunch......Can I bring the big tray of baklava someone very kindly left on my doorstep this morning?