Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Week 6 and a lifechanger for me...

(70 Posts)
ArtySue Sun 03-May-20 06:38:08

Bear with me, it's a bit long... as a child my mum (lovely person, but we were poor and she was hard-pressed) used to shoo me out of the kitchen to 'go and paint with your dad' (the quintessential impoverished artist), hence I became a cooking-hating artist (someone has to be ha ha). All my life I've envied people who loved cooking. I've tried and tried to enjoy it but never managed it. I've lapped up the TV cookery programmes but never got the cooking bug. Cooking has been an ordeal. Until now. Week 6 of lockdown and I find I can't do anything artycrafty and suddenly I've started enjoying cooking! Yesterday I made beetroot, cumin and tomato soup. I wish you could know what a breakthrough this is for me, a life-changer. Sorry to ramble on....!

NanKate Sun 03-May-20 06:57:45

Well done ArtySue. I still loathe cooking especially on Sunday when DH likes lots of veg which take hours to prepare (he does help a lot) and then getting everything cooked together on time. I can’t imagine I will ever make the break through.

I could live on toast and a boiled egg or a cheese toastie. Also French bread, Brie grapes, chutney and a chilled glass of wine.

ArtySue Sun 03-May-20 07:19:15

Thank you NanKate, someone who understands! Peanut butter on toast my ex-fav. Who knows what now... souffles maybe? grin (PS My sons grew up loving cooking which I'm grateful for, though I don't know how it happened!)

Nortsat Sun 03-May-20 07:21:53

ArtySue and NanKate we have a large garden table (over 6’ long), please pop round today with soup, French bread, Brie and chutney. We’ll provide the glasses of chilled wine.

See you at 12.45 ????for a socially distanced lunch.

Lisagran Sun 03-May-20 07:28:51

Ooh Nortsat, that sounds nice. Could I pop round too? I could bring strawberries and cream and a bunch of flowers for the table smile

PetitFromage Sun 03-May-20 07:29:18

I feel exactly the same about gardening - after literally decades of avoiding it, I suddenly find that I rather like it! grin

grandMattie Sun 03-May-20 07:33:44

I love cooking, a discovery made after I left home. Elder sister was”the cook” and I was never really allowed near the stove. Well done for your newly found live! You’ll never go short of food nor friends...

ArtySue Sun 03-May-20 07:42:21

I'll be there Nortsat. It's my birthday today so I'll bring a cake. Who knows, may even make it rather than buy it! A wild life ahead.... cupcake

Nortsat Sun 03-May-20 07:48:13

ArtySue Happy Birthday to you
Squashed tomatoes and poo
Bread and butter in the gutter
Happy Birthday to you ?
(Only kidding, no poo on your birthday).

The table will be laid (with an extra chair for Lisagran, who is kindly bringing pudding ...)
See you then ??

ArtySue Sun 03-May-20 07:54:35

Nortsat thank you! winethankscupcake

Lisagran Sun 03-May-20 07:59:04

Happy Birthday ArtySue!
Have a good day!

brook2704 Sun 03-May-20 08:01:38

Happy Birthday ArtySue enjoy your special day ! ???❤️

ArtySue Sun 03-May-20 08:21:37

Thank you dear invisible friends! Very special during these days....

sodapop Sun 03-May-20 08:42:08

Happy Birthday ArtySue I'll raise a glass to you as well winecupcakethanks

Iam64 Sun 03-May-20 08:45:21

ArtySue, I lived with a talented artist mum, then married one and had children who are talented with pencil and paint. I developed a love of gardening and cooking to compensate for my inability to draw a straight line or anything else. This lockdown I decided to try and teach myself to draw. I'm enjoying it.

cornergran Sun 03-May-20 08:51:24

A very happy birthday artysue, I have always cooked, albeit reluctantly at times, love my garden but somehow drawing has escaped me, maybe the time to start, why not?

ArtySue Sun 03-May-20 08:55:05

Cheers to that sodapop!
Iam64, that's fascinating. I'm so glad you're enjoying drawing. Have you seen the book, quite an oldie now, Drawing on the right side of the brain? It's very helpful. I retired as a painter three years ago and started doing what I really wanted to do, using found items/junk for sculpture. To walk past a skip and not remove something is total agony for me ha ha. Hope the drawing goes well. If you can get near trees while their boughs are still bare draw the shapes between the branches, ignoring the tree itself. It's interesting....

ArtySue Sun 03-May-20 08:56:27

Love the name cornergran! Yes, start now! See previous post....

Greyduster Sun 03-May-20 09:00:25

Happy birthday ArtySue! ???. All my talents seem to have gone into retreat during this lockdown, but I did paint my son a very tongue in cheek card for his birthday and he was tickled pink! Enjoy your new found cooking skills!

NanKate Sun 03-May-20 09:01:04

A very Happy Birthday ArtySue ?

Thank you Nortsat I will be there on the dot of 12.45 ?

ArtySue Sun 03-May-20 09:17:03

Thank you both!!! sunshine

Callistemon Sun 03-May-20 10:01:05

I'll bring quiche and a ?
Happy birthday ArtySue

Yesterday I surpassed myself and made quiche (my own pastry too); I hadn't made one for years but can't get to M&S at the moment.
I found the whole process so exhausting, it took three times as long as it used to, and I had to sit down with a G&T afterwards while DH made a salad.

Callistemon Sun 03-May-20 10:03:01

I used to paint but was never that good.

Nannan2 Sun 03-May-20 10:22:40

Wasnt it "squashed tomatoes and stew"?? - anyway happy birthday Artysue! thankswine

Esmerelda Sun 03-May-20 10:25:21

Ooh, thanks for the tip, ArtySue ... I've got a tupperware full of tomatoes and one of beetroot (both grown by me last year) in the freezer plus some cumin in the cupboard, so guess what is a 'cumin' up next week? smile
Meanwhile, I'm no great cook - I do it but I don't enjoy it - however I'm just off to make some bread pudding which is enjoyable both in the making and the eating!