Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Should I persevere with a mask

(41 Posts)
tidyskatemum Thu 07-May-20 16:17:49

For the first time I did my big supermarket shop wearing a face mask. By the time I got out my admiration for those having to wear full PPE was in the stratosphere. It was so HOT and claustrophobic. And my glasses kept steaming up! I’m sure I touched my face twice as much as usual, which isn’t exactly the best idea so I’m not sure about repeating the experience. Though I feel an awful wuss whingeing about something as basic as a face mask.........

Teetime Thu 07-May-20 16:26:14

I think there will be some places where we will have to wear a mask e.g. at the hairdressers in future. As you have probably read the experts disagree on whether masks are helpful in preventing spread and only from yourself to others not vice versa. When I go to the supermarket I dont wear one but some people do as it makes them feel more secure. At the moment its up to you but expect government guidance will be forthcoming.

craftyone Thu 07-May-20 16:26:20

wash hands thoroughly, don`t touch your face, keep your distance and carry a small bottle of hand sanitiser. No need for a mask

AGAA4 Thu 07-May-20 16:26:41

Medical staff say the PPE is very uncomfortable. I don't like wearing a scarf over my nose and mouth so I don't think I would fare much better with a face mask.

vegansrock Thu 07-May-20 16:35:07

Three are masks and masks. Places like Hong Kong where everyone wears a mask have a very low rate of infection. A mask which is well fitting, with a soft nose wire to stop your glasses steaming up is the best kind. Those deniers who say masks are useless do not acknowledge that the evidence is they certainly stop the spread of infection. Obviously to go to the supermarket you do not need a medical grade mask. a washable one made of lined, tightly woven fabric with a space for a filter should give others protection. But if its just for your own sake and you don't care about others then don't wear one.

vegansrock Thu 07-May-20 16:37:15

To add to the above - it should be compulsory to wear a mask on public transport or anywhere it is not always possible keep a 2 metres distance.

BlueSky Thu 07-May-20 16:37:27

In Europe the surgical mask is mandatory indoors and on public transport in many countries as well as social distancing. Obviously everybody need to wear them to be of some help. Outdoor is not so important and it's usually up to the individual. This is what I intend to do.

grannysyb Thu 07-May-20 16:38:22

Wore one to the supermarket once, couldn't see as my glasses kept steaming up! It was a good one with a filter and a wire piece for the bridge of my nose.

Fennel Thu 07-May-20 16:38:58

Husband has one of those perspex visor ones, he got it from ebay.
I expect that will get steamed up too.
I have the blue pleated ones which sometimes slip up so that I can't see. I must have a small face and head.

ninathenana Thu 07-May-20 17:04:11

Where will we buy these masks of they become compulsory ?
They are already like rocking horse teeth.

felice Thu 07-May-20 17:42:05

Bluesky, what do you mean by 'indoors' I am not wearing one.!!!
Here (European mainland, different countries different rules) you are asked to wear them on public transport.
Europe is not one country with one set of rules.
Things might change a little after Monday but we certainly do not need to wear masks indoors.

Jane10 Thu 07-May-20 17:45:03

Wouldn't know how to get a madk anyway. They're supposed to be worn here but remarkably few to be seen last time I was shopping and none while out walking.

tidyskatemum Thu 07-May-20 17:54:13

Our DiL is from Korea and her parents sent us 2 different types. Korea was very well prepared, having gone through the SARS epidemic and lots of people have worn masks out of doors for years. I don’t think I’d be in a rush to go out more if it was compulsory to wear one, though I guess we’d have to get used to it.

sodapop Thu 07-May-20 17:57:59

I agree with vegansrock we need to wear a mask in those areas where the 2 metre rule is not possible.
I think we should wear them, a little discomfort is worth it surely. Medical staff have to wear much more uncomfortable kit.

We have just had two washable masks delivered to the house from the Mairie.

Rosalyn69 Thu 07-May-20 18:08:15

Persevere. It gets easier or rather you get used to it although when I was a young nurse wearing a mask brought me out in horrid spots.
I’ve yet to try a cloth mask although I do have a pretty pink floral number.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 07-May-20 18:12:06

I have worn a mask seen early March, the one I have now has wire along the top and you push it down around your nose and it stops your glasses steaming up. If everyone wore one it would help stop the spread, so please do not say it doesn't help.

BlueSky Thu 07-May-20 18:15:55

Felice in supermarkets and public transport, also disposable gloves in supermarkets, this according to my fb friends in France and Italy. Where are you?

NfkDumpling Thu 07-May-20 18:30:11

One problem was evident just now on the BBC News. The reporter from Wales had a mask tan. Not a good look!

I find a scarf of the tube variety easy to use and surprisingly my specs don't mist up. I've worn one for years anyway in cold weather. I can't see how I can fit a mask elastic behind my ears as that space is full of hearing aid and specs earpieces.

rosecarmel Thu 07-May-20 18:43:09

More and more people will have to venture to the store due to increasing delivery cost- The minimum order price was raised to 35 dollars + 4 dollar service fee + tip-

The programs being used aren't keeping up with inventory either- Sometimes it indicates something is out of stock but is not and sometimes indicates an item is in stock and is not-

Jane10 Thu 07-May-20 18:48:06

I've had to go out shopping throughout. No mask but I do wear disposable gloves, which I remove after I get home, wash thoroughly and wipe down all shopping with disinfectant. I don't have a cough or cold and don't think I'm a risk to other shoppers. I keep my distance from them too.

JackyB Thu 07-May-20 19:43:27

It's compulsory here in Germany and I've been shopping twice with them. Once with a paper one which kept riding up and covering my eyes, and today with a cloth one (we were offered some by someone who was making them). The cloth one kept slipping down. I will have to put a tuck in the elastic.

The worst was at the hairdresser's earlier in the week. The snippets of hair got under the mask, it got wet when she washed it and I had to take it down when she cut the back of my head.

I wash them hot and iron them when they've been used once.

MayBee70 Thu 07-May-20 20:46:38

Jane 10: just because you think you’re not a risk to others doesn’t mean you aren’t. How do you feel about someone who is a risk to you not bothering to wear a mask thereby infecting you. Not everyone has a cough at first, and if someone does cough or sneeze it can travel quite a distance. If we can all save lives by wearing a mask we must do it.

MayBee70 Thu 07-May-20 20:50:47

By the way, no one seems to be mentioning a Portugal. They seem to have contained the pandemic incredibly well with a very low death rate. They seem to advocate the wearing of masks.

BlueSky Thu 07-May-20 21:00:56

Some countries have done really well. I'm not sure how they've achieved it.

Jane10 Thu 07-May-20 21:16:13

MayBe70- the actual efficacy of masks is contentious. The WHO didn't recommend them. Personally, outwith health and social care settings I think their use is more psychological for the wearer than anything else.