Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Should I persevere with a mask

(42 Posts)
tidyskatemum Thu 07-May-20 16:17:49

For the first time I did my big supermarket shop wearing a face mask. By the time I got out my admiration for those having to wear full PPE was in the stratosphere. It was so HOT and claustrophobic. And my glasses kept steaming up! I’m sure I touched my face twice as much as usual, which isn’t exactly the best idea so I’m not sure about repeating the experience. Though I feel an awful wuss whingeing about something as basic as a face mask.........

paddyanne Thu 07-May-20 21:44:03

Guidance here is in busy places like public transport or shops but its not compulsory.My OH has done some shopping for us and he wears a mask and gloves ,social distancing in some shops is non existent according to my son who tells my OH to call him if we run out of anything .I did hear a silly woman on the Jeremy Vine show tell the country that as Nicola Sturgeon suggested it she wont be doing it because she didn't vote for Nicola ....maybe Angela from Edinburgh is on here ...

Evie64 Thu 07-May-20 22:22:10

I only wear a mask in shops. As soon as I exit the shop I take it off. Like Tidyskatemjum, my glasses steam up really badly and I'm usually staggering round the shop unable to see anything! grin

MayBee70 Thu 07-May-20 23:45:03

The WHO didn’t recommend a lot of things. If they’d told China to close it’s borders months ago we wouldn’t have a pandemic now. They didn’t tell people the virus was airborne until they realised how contagious it was. I’m not going to not wear a mask just because they don’t advise it (although I did think they had: must look that up).

mokryna Fri 08-May-20 00:02:50

France People using public transport must wear a mask or be fined. Everyone is sewing making them by hand or machine. Templates are on the web with suggestions on what material to use and washing after four hours. If your glasses are steaming up, it means they are not fitting well, a gadget can be bought to sort the problem out. These masks are only to help stop you infecting others. If everyone wore one they say that the infection rate will be slower.

Teacheranne Fri 08-May-20 00:09:15

I have made myself a few masks using two layers of cotton fabric and a filter pocket. I have no more elastic, just found a few yards in my sewing kit, so have used elastic bands.

I find the pleated type rather uncomfortable, it seems to ride high too close to my eyes. I prefer the shaped type with a rounded shape. I have no means of creating a nose clip though as I can't get any pipe cleaners and the thin wire I have is no good. I'm planning to use dry baby wipes as filters.

But the best thing I have is a ski cowl, it's made of a very thin stretchy nylon type fabric and I just pull it up over my nose and mouth. It doesn't get too hot but it's very tight fitting and secure.

I think I will wear a mask to go shopping as the supermarkets are bound to get busier once lockdown ends, atvleas I will reduce the risk of infecting other people and I hope it will reduce my anxiety about going out again.

Esspee Fri 08-May-20 06:23:03

I am in Scotland and after we were told to wear masks in shops and other confined spaces I used a silk scarf in the supermarket which brought on a hot flush and panic attack. I pulled it down replacing it when near people but couldn’t wait to get out of there.
The same day my OH saw four nuns in a car all wearing masks, and the driver marigold gloves. ?

Furret Fri 08-May-20 06:57:26

Masks used on public transport and in shop could easily prevent the spread especially by someone infectious but asymptomatic. Other countries where the virus is more under control are concentrating on these people.

So while you might not want to wear one, how would you feel about the person ahead of you in the queue who is shedding the virus unawares?

Blinko Fri 08-May-20 07:12:31

I saw a useful clip to help prevent masks riding up.

Tie a knot in each of the loops close to the mask, then tuck the sides in as far as they'll fit. This takes the slack off the mask and it fits very snugly.

OH has a wider fizzog, however, so he doesn't need the knotted version.

I'm not sure if it might also help with steamed up specs. You could try it though.

NfkDumpling Fri 08-May-20 07:25:56

Ski cowl - is that the proper name for those neck things Teacheranne? I’ve seen them called many different names - tubulars, cowls, neck warmers..... but that does describe them best.

I have a about ten of them in various colours (mostly Buff ones) and wear them a lot anyway. Neck warmer, ear warmer, hat, hair holder-backer, nose warmer and now Covid protection. The advice is to treble the thickness. And my specs don’t mist up!

Bellasnana Fri 08-May-20 07:34:26

Here in Malta it is compulsory to wear a mask when shopping or using public transport.

eazybee Fri 08-May-20 09:40:57

I followed a couple wearing masks round the supermarket when I did my weekly shop. They lifted all the possible purchases off the shelves with their ungloved hands to examine them closely before returning most of them ; most shoppers, unmasked, gazed at the products before choosing one and placing it directly in the basket.
And why, when there is a queue, is it necessary for two able-bodied people to shop together and consult on every single purchase?

BlueSky Fri 08-May-20 09:49:15

A lot of supermarkets only allow one able bodied person in, and as for people touching products and then returning it to the shelves, that's why it's important to wash/disinfect your purchases when you get home. I will keep doing it even after all this has calmed down. If we must wear masks and gloves in supermarkets then an assistant should be at the door distributing them, so there are no excuses and they should be watched that they are kept on.

Jane10 Fri 08-May-20 11:36:03

I so agree Eazybee. I was really fed up at couples shopping last time I was out. The woman in front of me had a mask but it was up and down all the time as she kept making phone calls. She must have touched her face 100% more often than I did. Also no gloves and lots of picking up and putting down items. However, I'm sure she felt virtuous 'wearing' a mask.

Flowershop Fri 08-May-20 12:07:01

@MayBee70
I'm in Portugal, the pandemic has been very well handled here. There are just over 1, 000 deaths.
The country was locked down at the beginning of March. The beaches were shut and the tourist border with Spain was closed very early.
Restrictions started to be lifted on Monday, small shops are open and hairdressers too.
Restaurants and bars will reopen on May 18th.

Flowershop Fri 08-May-20 12:07:50

I should have added that the wearing of masks is now compulsory

MayBee70 Fri 08-May-20 15:46:14

Thanks Flowershop. I'm just amazed that there is so little mention of how well Portugal have handled the pandemic and, to be honest I know very little about the political situation in your country. Anyway, I'm pleased to hear it and I hope your country continues to fight the virus successfully. x