Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

2 metre distance...

(82 Posts)
farview Mon 11-May-20 21:04:00

From what I've been reading..two metres isn't far enough...if someone with coronavirus coughs or sneezes..it can travel up to eight metres...

Saetana Tue 12-May-20 23:53:10

Mask wearing is certainly not compulsory - it is just a recommendation, purely for public transport and situations where it is impossible to keep a safe distance. I worry that masks will give people a false sense of security - a mask will not prevent the person who is wearing it getting the virus, but it might (and its only might, there is no real evidence to support this) provide some protection for others from you.

Grandad1943 Wed 13-May-20 08:17:21

Wearing of masks in workplaces can be a hazard in itself when clear communication between workers is essential.

By example to the above, clear communication is always required in a workplace where heavy mechanical handling equipment is moving about (forklift trucks, pallet trucks etc).

The operators of that equipment always are trained to call out to those around them when they are about to move. However, when wearing a mask that warning call can be muted and not clear to others.

Despite many companies not operating for the past seven weeks, there does seem to be a large spike in accidents in distribution centres which are operating and where such equipment is prevalent and masks are being worn.

BlueSky Wed 13-May-20 08:45:01

Then it's a case of between the devil and the deep blue sea! confused

Elegran Wed 13-May-20 09:24:15

Life itself is a hazard; none of us are going to get past it safely for ever. We just have to do what we can to make our journey bearable and delay the inevitable final arrival.

Grandad1943 Wed 13-May-20 09:31:00

cor blimey Elegran thats a bit strong for this time in the morning ain't it. ?

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 13-May-20 09:34:42

Good point Grandad, there's other situations also highlighted recently such as those who need to lipread being disadvantaged but I guess each situation which doesn't suit the one-size-fits-all will need to be dealt with individually.
I saw a woman the other day wearing a mask with her nose prominently stuck out over the top of it, and the other day was very glad of the plastic screens in the supermarket check out when the cashier had a fit of coughing, without covering her mouth!
A little tip for those wanting to get masks but struggling with availability; as a motorcycle rider, I already use what we refer to as buffs, ie neck tubes. I just use mine around my neck and pulled up over my mouth and nose, so just doing the same now and not pulling it down now when I get off the bike. They can be worn in a variety of other ways, including as a headband to cover roots awaiting the reopening of hairdressers (not a problem for me, my hair is white and doesn't need any touching in). I've just bought some new colourful ones, so suggest you look on eBay etc and do a search for biker neck tubes. I suggest you avoid the ones with skull or teeth in the designs, that is unless you like that sort of thing. And don't get the thermal ones, they'll be too hot for the summer, or the actual Buffet brand, as they're expensive. Hope this helps.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 13-May-20 09:35:51

Buff brand, it should read. Silly predictive text.

Daisymae Wed 13-May-20 09:39:30

Reading the new Stay Alert message seems to me that it's exactly the same as the old message. stay in except when you go to work, distance yourself. The government never intended the economy to shut down so much. I think that everyone has complied to excess, in their view, resulting in the huge drop in GDP. The actual distance is really a bit of a red herring, depends really if you come into contact with the infection.

Grannynannywanny Wed 13-May-20 09:48:35

Growingold I bought a couple of those neck tubes recently with that in mind. I thought one in use and one in wash and I’m sorted.

But I’ve changed my opinion after thinking through the process. As the only way to remove it obviously is to pull it up over the face.

As it’s possible to contract the virus via the eyes there would be a risk of that happening while removing the tube if it had been contaminated

Greeneyedgirl Wed 13-May-20 09:56:21

There was a scientist on "More or Less" Radio 4 this am. He was explaining the risk of droplet infection. Common sense really.

During normal speech and breathing, large droplets from an infected person fall to the ground quite quickly, near the patient, and smaller droplets can travel much further ie 2 metres. However tiny droplets may linger in the air, like dust particles for some time.

What is not known is whether there an appreciable risk of infection from the tiny particles.

He suggests it is much safer outside than in an enclosed space.

Elegran Wed 13-May-20 10:06:46

Grannynannywanny Perhaps you roll it down to your neck and then take off the rolled-up neck tube without opening it up again?

lemongrove Wed 13-May-20 10:10:16

MawB .....what you said upthread ???

Grannynannywanny Wed 13-May-20 10:24:50

Elegran I did try that but I found it really difficult due to my arthritic hands. It’s a snug stretchy fit and fights against me even more when I have it rolled.

During removal I get it so far up my face and I lose my grip and it becomes an eye mask!

Just as well I’m on my own and nobody here to witness the antics of me trying to remove it

lemsip Wed 13-May-20 11:29:50

lots on youtube on how to make 'no sew' masks, very good.

Daisymae Wed 13-May-20 14:22:41

I don't understand why the call to return to work and the public transport return to a more normal timetable did not coincide. Keeping any sort of distance was impossible for some workers this morning. Not for those whose normal place of work is the House of Commons. Time for them to return and lead the way.

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 15:43:13

Sorted!

A crinoline, a motorbike helmet and two Nordic walking poles and I'm ready to face the world again!

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 15:43:35

Thank you for all your suggestions btw smile

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 14-May-20 11:56:33

Callistemon, that is brilliant! I think I shall add a crinoline to my motorcycle ensemble!
Grannynannywanny, years of practice at this: I catch hold of the neck tube either side of my face so that the whole thing is gathered up into a small roll in each hand and stretch it well away from my face - that's because, vain me, I wear face and eye make up and don't want to smudge my 'face', or end up with the makeup all over the neck buff. They are very stretchy and will in time get looser (hence why I've bought some new ones). However I do understand that painful hands would make this difficult.

Callistemon Thu 14-May-20 12:00:46

I have to confess that is not all my own work, GrowingOldDisgracefull, we have other posters to thank for the great ideas too.

However, when we are allowed out, I do intend to take my walking poles!

sodapop Thu 14-May-20 12:17:31

I await pics of your going out attire with interest Callistemon smile

Callistemon Thu 14-May-20 12:19:47

I need some hula hoops to put into the skirt of the dress I'm making, something like this one:

BlueSky Thu 14-May-20 12:51:25

Calli complete with walking poles! grin

Elegran Thu 14-May-20 13:25:01

She's not wearing that dress, she's standing behind it! Is it whats'ername, who is always on TV history programmes if she can dress up for them ? Lucy Worsley, that's her name, (after a time lapse, the memory recall process is slower than it used to be)

Callistemon Thu 14-May-20 17:51:06

Yes that's her, standing behind the dress I just ran up in 3 hours in the British Sewing Bee.

Xrgran Fri 15-May-20 12:31:15

Firstly most people use the NHS web site to self diagnose COVID which doesn’t give loss of taste and smell as the first symptom so people who have COVID might think they are fine and be going about spreading it.
Secondly wearing a mask is essential. If you wear one make it far more efficient by putting a clean sheet of kitchen roll or tissue over your nose and mouth before you put it on. I think it’s very inconsiderate to go into any enclosed public space without a mask.