Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

2 metre distance...

(82 Posts)
farview Mon 11-May-20 21:04:00

From what I've been reading..two metres isn't far enough...if someone with coronavirus coughs or sneezes..it can travel up to eight metres...

Annaram1 Tue 12-May-20 10:52:14

thecat - men would look rather strange in crinolines.

4allweknow Tue 12-May-20 10:55:06

2 mtrs is reasonable as long as tge is no spray eg cough, sneeze. Apparently cyclists should be at least 30 mts behind one another as they are expelling breath at a force and this will have very fine droplets in it. Same with joggers - stay well clear. A d, I wish the media would stop referring to 6 feet as 2 mtrs, 2 mtrs is nearer 7 feet. However very few folk can even keep to 6 feet in my experience.

CarlyD7 Tue 12-May-20 10:59:09

Blue Sky To answer your question, if they have the virus on their hands (and they probably will because we touch our faces/mouths/eyes, etc several times an hour) then they will spread it to everything they touch. And as around 50% of Covid tests are giving false negatives (my GP told me) then a lot of people who have it, but don't know, will be spreading it everywhere. I'm at home at the moment but when I go back to the supermarket, my plan is to come in and get straight into the shower and everything gets washed, including my hair. I don't care if it seems OTT!

Aepgirl Tue 12-May-20 11:14:58

Sometimes it’s hard to be just 2 metres apart without walking in the road, so more would be totally unattainable. We just have to be careful and sensible.

Jishere Tue 12-May-20 11:27:36

The mask is only a precautionary measure like it's already been said what about the eyes? Really the list is endless and maybe the best thing to do is start spraying each other down with a detergent, ?. That's if u are lucky enough to have a partner. I know my sense is more important to me as the best precautionary measure I have.

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 12-May-20 11:31:43

Sure would, Anna, sure would.
But it would make shopping in supermarkets a lot more interesting.... ?

Tweedle24 Tue 12-May-20 11:33:46

Mawbe A doctor on the radio this morning said that Covid19 is very similar in danger to Ebola but, because of where it originated, Ebola was isolated very quickly. Apparently, it did not spread because of the testing and tracking that went on as soon as it appeared

Thecatshatontgmat I would love to see some of the wrestlers in crinolines ?

Calendargirl Tue 12-May-20 11:38:00

Boris in a crinoline!

?

Tweedle24 Tue 12-May-20 11:38:02

Jishere The mask is for other people’s protection, not yours. You won’t spread the virus from your eyes but I can see what you are thinking.

I just wish they had made mask wearing compulsory everywhere, not just in shops and public transport.

Tweedle24 Tue 12-May-20 11:39:39

* Calendargirl* I did not suggest him because I thought it might suit him ?

PhilJaz Tue 12-May-20 11:53:30

Masks do not give much protection to the wearer, they give more protection to the people around the wearer.

BlueSky Tue 12-May-20 11:59:48

Thanks Carly then it makes sense to rinse/wipe/disinfect the shopping. After that we 've got to leave it to chance!

Grannynannywanny Tue 12-May-20 11:59:50

The mask on woman behind me at the check out yesterday didn’t offer much protection to those in her vicinity.

She pulled it down onto her chin to let rip with a harsh burst of coughing!

Elegran Tue 12-May-20 12:11:09

There is a cartoon on Facebook that shows a mask worn with the nose hanging over the top, and a caption that says "Wearing your mask like this is like wearing your underwearlike this!", and another drawing of a willy hanging over the top of half-mast underpants.

Grannynannywanny Tue 12-May-20 12:12:41

?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 12-May-20 12:33:29

Two metres have proved effective in Denmark, but of course, if people cough or sneeze they cover their mouth, as I am sure you all were brought up to do as well.

Everyone is talking as if people commonly cough, sneeze or yawn without covering their mouth, but that is definitely not the case here, nor do I remember it being common in the UK the last time I was there on holiday.

Caro57 Tue 12-May-20 14:32:06

Denmark is reducing the distance to 1 metre. Presumably they are a better educated nation that us and know how to sneeze and cough properly i.e into something!

Theoddbird Tue 12-May-20 14:40:29

Two metres is recommended. I think if you feel more is better then use more space.

Bluecat Tue 12-May-20 14:46:27

My DD told me ages ago that 27 feet was supposed to be the safe distance. I don't stand that far away if a neighbour comes to the door or on the rare occasions I see my grandchildren from a distance. I don't go to the shops, so it doesn't affect me there. I think 2 metres has been chosen as a workable distance but I am not sure it's very effective.

Rufus2 Tue 12-May-20 15:23:58

another drawing of a willy hanging over the top of half-mast underpants
Elegran So that's why I've been humming "Bridge over Troubled Waters " all day! grin
OoRoo

Seakay Tue 12-May-20 16:20:13

a cloth or surgical mask over mouth and nose will give some protection to other people; a visor, gloves and long sleeves and trousers will protect you as long as they are discarded and cleaned without any of the outside having touched skin, especially face.
People I know working in hospitals discard all clothes as near to their home door as possible, bundle them into a bag to take them to a washing machine and then thoroughly shower. If you've got a garage, great, it'll keep the outside out of the home. I don't suggest stripping on the pavement!
Cleaning all shopping, discarding outer packaging if possible, getting out of outer clothes, leaving shoes near the door, having a shower before putting shopping away is a good precaution, as well as washing hands thoroughly etc and never touching your face while out (this is the reason there has been dispute about surgical mask wearing, if you adjust it when out then you will touch your face. Take gloves off, spray hands, adjust mask, put gloves back on. )

AlisonKF Tue 12-May-20 16:26:06

Elegran : I have to use trek poles to keep my balance on poor pavements. Unless you shorten the poles and stow them in your trolley how are you supposed to collect and carry your shopping? I am fortunate in living opposite a well stocked village shop and make a point of being in at quiet times when there no more than five or six people. However the aisles between shelving are narrow, so a dance goes on to avoid trying to pass anyone. As I no longer drive, I can't reach a supermarket anyway. If I lived half a mile from the shop at the end of the village, I would be in trouble.

Liz46 Tue 12-May-20 16:36:07

The lady who coughed in the supermarket could well have asthma. I have asthma and some lung damage and I cough. The last time I went into a supermarket, maybe about 8 weeks ago, we were queuing at the till and my husband asked it I was ok. I think I was going purple trying to suppress a cough. I also have an allergy to tree pollen so could clear a huge area of people!

Legs55 Tue 12-May-20 21:08:27

I have an allergy to tree pollen, don't often cough with it but I can guarantee if I am going to have a coughing "fit" it will happen when I'm in a queue at the Supermarkethmm.

I don't wear gloves when I'm shopping as you can spread the virus from one item to another but I do use hand sanitizer, I have carried a small bottle with me at all times when I'm out as I'm allergic to most soaps.

Wearing a mask only protects others from you (should you have Covid 19), they offer no protection to you. NHS Podiatrist advised me of this when they had to start wearing masks, aprons & gloves.

BlueSky Tue 12-May-20 21:33:18

Yes we are told that wearing masks only protect other people. That's why it's important that everybody wears them!