Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

“The Left's hysterical 'confusion' over No 10's plan is utterly transparent

(59 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-May-20 08:07:32

I must disagree eazybee

The press’s job is absolutely to hold the government to account. And to question and pick over everything it does.

We live in a democracy. Apparently you haven’t noticed.

Yes there is bias. I, as a social democrat am more than aware of this. There are academic studies that back my assumption.

I bet you can’t find any studies that back your assertion of bias against the right.

GrannyLaine Tue 12-May-20 08:06:05

The question from the teacher is disingenuous vegansrock. Safety is not an absolute concept. The teacher will need to take measures to do the job as safely as possible when the time comes for a limited few children to return to school. Does that translate to then being 'a special case' and meeting with their wider family with the attendant risk of acquiring /transmitting infection? Its about as daft as checkout operators asking the same question.......

eazybee Tue 12-May-20 07:53:04

The job of the opposition Party is to oppose, to question, to evaluate, but also in times of national crisis, to support the government. At present the role of opposition is being undertaken most enthusiastically by the self-appointed defenders of public liberty, the Press; 'it's our job to hold the government to account' shrieked one female reporter when her question at the the daily briefing wasn't heard.
No,it is not; their job, as reporters, is to report the news in as unbiased and truthful way as is possible, by presenting facts, not opinions.
A letter in today's Daily Telegraph comments on the writer's morning listening which consisted of 'the stream of union leaders, representatives from the devolved governments, and opposition politicians complaining.,,,' (about schools and businesses and government guidance).' This is why I, in common with so many people, increasingly switch off the 'news' as it has evolved into one long attack on the Government, led by the BBC.

vegansrock Tue 12-May-20 07:47:24

He couldn’t answer the question from a teacher - why is it not safe for me to meet my relatives but its safe for me to teach a class full of children?

Is it not political when sycophants say the government is doing brilliantly, whatever they do?

MaizieD Tue 12-May-20 07:41:21

Without health there will be no wealth.

Riverwalk Tue 12-May-20 07:36:42

Not only is the Left confused - this is also from The Telegraph

"It was the day after Boris Johnson announced the new rules of lockdown – and even the man himself seemed to concede that they were a recipe for confusion. “Clearly when you’re coming out of a message that is so gloriously simple as ‘Stay Home’,” he admitted to the Commons, “there will inevitably be complexities…”

The Prime Minister then unwittingly demonstrated this, by immediately muddling up his own advice. “You should stay at home if you can,” he explained, “but go to work if you must – if your job doesn’t allow you to go to work.”

He meant, of course, if your job doesn’t allow you to work from home. At least, I assume he did. He didn’t correct himself."

The PM's confusion is also utterly transparent

ladymuck Tue 12-May-20 07:35:27

Whatever Boris does or says, the Opposition will oppose. It's their raison d'etre.

Furret Tue 12-May-20 07:31:57

The Telegraph owned by billionaires Barclay Brothers.

Battle lines drawn. Conservatives prioritising wealth. Labour prioritising health.

Take your pick.

Glorybee Tue 12-May-20 07:04:48

This comment in the Telegraph is interesting-

“It’s finally happened. The partisan politics that was suspended at the outbreak of this crisis has returned in full force. Initially the opposition signalled, publicly at least, that it was going to be constructive and help the Government. The three devolved administrations of the United Kingdom moved in lockstep, and reciprocal praise and good will was abundant.

Shadow Chancellor Aneliese Dodds even took to the radio before the lockdown to promote the Government’s line of following SAGE, resisting pressure to close schools or confine people to their homes.

Over the weekend, however, that all changed. Starting with Welsh Labour and the Scottish Nationalist Party, politicians decided that now is the time to unilaterally end the effective ceasefire our politics had been suspended in for weeks, and go on the attack. No longer were there warm words for the Government emphasising the challenges they face, instead the green light was given for politicisation.

The Labour Party have now curiously clearly positioned themselves as the pro-lockdown party, seemingly ready to resist changes in messaging and shifts to any state of affairs that do not resemble house arrest. Ironically, Sir Keir Starmer was among the initial few voices to demand a route out of the lockdown in the first place. Now that the Government is doing exactly that, however, Labour’s mood music has shifted.

The political games were clear to see. Whatever Boris had said on Sunday evening, the Left wing parties were ready to spin it as uncaring, unscientific, incomprehensible, or a curious mix of all three. This became the moment that the lockdown divides truly became partisan.”.

“The same Labour MPs who pretended their 2019 Brexit policy was the most straightforward thing in the world to understand are now expressing faux outrage over government communications. Perhaps they genuinely feel that the concept of the rate of infection helping determine how much of the economy can open up is somehow wildly incomprehensible. Perhaps they are just going along with the crowd. Either way it is back to politics as usual.”