Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid-19 testing research study

(34 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 12-May-20 15:48:59

So this test is an antigen test? (I can’t read the letter in the OP as my screen is too small).

J52 Tue 12-May-20 15:47:00

I meant antibody test.

J52 Tue 12-May-20 15:44:00

I have been chosen and have signed up. The instructions will come with the kit. The on line information did say that when you get the kit you remain free to change your mind.

Getting through to the website was impossible, so I phoned them, again it was impossible to get through. I resorted to sending an email. The automated reply gave me a direct link. This might help anyone else trying to get through.

I am hoping that part of the research group might mean that when an antigen test becomes available we might get that as well.

NanTheWiser Tue 12-May-20 15:22:02

I had the letter too. I won't be taking part, I understand that the swabs are not easy to do yourself, and are uncomfortable.
Although I could be asymptomatic, I'm pretty sure I haven't had the virus, and a positive result wouldn't be much help to me (although helpful to the NHS).

Joelsnan Tue 12-May-20 14:54:13

Maybee70
Re nasal swabbing.
I think that the tests would not have been sent out if it wasn’t possible to do the test yourself.

MayBee70 Tue 12-May-20 14:50:40

I’m not sure that it’s possible to nose swab oneself. Perhaps any medical people on here can enlighten me. You surely have to get the swab right to the back of the nose beyond the point where it gets quite painful and will therefore end up with many false negative results?

MamaCaz Tue 12-May-20 12:20:30

Just poor wording on my part, rosenoir. I've just signed up. ☺

rosenoir Tue 12-May-20 12:08:19

I have not but would take part. Why are you saying "if I sign up" are you thinking of not?

MamaCaz Tue 12-May-20 12:04:51

Has anyone else had a letter today inviting them to take part in this?

If I sign up, I will receive 'a swab test' of nose and throat with which to test if I have the virus. I do the swabs at home then send them back to the lab.

The aim is "to help us assess how much virus is circulating across the country including people who do not have any symptoms" .