Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Mask & gloves

(121 Posts)
kangaroo73 Wed 13-May-20 15:08:26

As I’m over 70 I’ve been getting my shopping delivered. I’d really like to go and get some ‘bits’ myself though at some point so I’ve managed to get hold of gloves & masks in readiness. However, I’m still nervous about this and there are so many conflicting views about the wearing of such protective wear. Have any of you over 70s ventured into the Supermarkets yet?

seadragon Thu 14-May-20 11:47:02

We bought some rainbow coloured masks a couple of weeks ago which had been made locally for the general public. Mine kept pinging off one of my ears which bent over on itself and caused me to become flustered. DH's was OK. We use gloves and sanitisers too. However we used bandanas the following week which could be pulled up as needed which was more comfortable but....forgot to take them off and sling them in the washing machine (at 60 degrees) till bedtime. We've not been able to get our usual Tesco delivery since the start as, although both over 70, one with heart disease, it seems we are only 'moderate risk' now. After trial and error we have opted to shop in the Co-op despite limited stock and having to go elsewhere for some things. We find it more orderly and quiet with shoppers who seem more aware too.... The staff are well protected with PPE including visors and work behind screens at the checkouts with an aperture for the paying machine. We still find it stressful though and usually have a row before we set off....

Doreen5 Thu 14-May-20 11:52:19

I am 67 and my husband is 70 with no known underlying health conditions. We haven't been to a shop for nearly nine weeks and have everything delivered (having never done deliveries before the virus). We will not risk going to any shops. Why? Because the virus is where people are. Also, we could be carriers and not know it. So one of the best things we feel we are doing is to: Stay at home. Stay safe. Stay alive.

Sparklefizz Thu 14-May-20 11:56:09

I am doing the same, Doreen and completely agree with what you say. I have a number of health conditions including asthma, and have been at home for nearly 11 weeks now. I started before lockdown as it seemed the wisest course for me personally.

As you say, the virus is where people are. That seems a very good slogan.

Jang Thu 14-May-20 12:06:32

Have been out to Tesco, Co-op, Lidl during lock down with no mask and have always felt very safe... have been social distancing in shops which has occ been difficult with some customers obv not bothering... we wash hands on returning home.. but do not disinfect packages like I have heard some people have done. Do not believe a mask with help in any way but have made them for family in readiness for Gov insisting we wear them

Marieeliz Thu 14-May-20 12:10:54

I am 80 and have had to do my own shopping. No one to do it for me. I think the longer you leave it the more difficult it will become. I go to M&S all the baskets are cleaned. I haven't worn gloves or a mask but I have wipes I use when shopping complete. I have been doing this one or twice a week since the start.

NannyG123 Thu 14-May-20 12:14:09

I go shopping once a week. In Aldi. I go as soon as they open. They only let a certain amount of people in at a time. So I feel quite safe. I don't wear a mask as I listen to Dr Hilary , who said mask don't protect but protect other people from you. And sometimes people wearing a mask tend to touch their face more often which is what I found I was doing, so stopped wearing the mask. I also take my own cloth with me that I put in bleach before I went out, and wiped the trolley before touching it. Clean get g shopping when I get home, wash hands constantly and spray everything I've touched in side. When I've finished I'm normally exhausted and ready for a cuppa.

Saggi Thu 14-May-20 12:26:42

Yes kangaroo 73... I’m 70 and been going to supermarket twice a week as I haven’t a delivery slot...I don’t drive and have arthritis in both hands and shoulders, it’s difficult and a little scary, especially that after 7/8 weeks of it, I’ve now been quite poorly for 3 days.... if no improvement tomorrow I will call the doctor ...if only for re-assurance. Just to add , my kids have not been negligent of me...my son is working from home, but lives a long way away, and also doesn’t drive ( we’re both environmentalist)... my daughter is in ‘ shielded’...and has had to give her children over to their father these past seven weeks ( separated). So it is a scary option.... but it is now an easier time . Just follow the social distancing rules and remember to keep washing those hands,especially when you get home and before you go out.Dont worry so much...l I’m sure my illness is ‘just’ a cold and I will be up and at ‘em soon.

Saggi Thu 14-May-20 12:32:35

As an afterthought .... I too found the Co-op to be the best organised of all supermarkets Seadragon.... and when I only want a few bits , I will embrace the extra half-mile walk and go their. The customers also seem to be more relaxed.

Lancslass1 Thu 14-May-20 13:15:11

Apparently face marks are not there to protect the person wearing it but to stop that person passing on the virus to somebody else.
Wearing gloves is not thought by some to be a good idea.
If one does wear gloves and then touches his or her face it is as bad as not wearing gloves at all.

biddycatt Thu 14-May-20 13:20:45

can anyone tell me how to deal with leatherjacket which are chopping down my baby cabbages?

MawB Thu 14-May-20 13:23:53

You may find it helpful to post this on the Gardening forum biddycatt.

Nan79 Thu 14-May-20 13:24:55

I’m nearly 80 and although I have a delivery slot, I use it for a neighbour. I have been shopping and walking every day.i don’t have a car but live near the shopping center. I go early in the morning 8am and back home by 9am. Living on my own the daily walk is good for my well being . If you are sensible and take precautions You should come to no harm.

Happysexagenarian Thu 14-May-20 13:56:36

I am nearly 70 and have Asthma, DH is 78, we are both in the vulnerable category. I have not been out beyond the confines of our house and garden since 10th February. DH walks the dog every few days, and all our shopping is delivered. I don't think I would feel nervous about going into shops and would wear masks and gloves in supermarkets and town centres. But yesterday we had to collect an order from Screwfix (it included knife blades so they wouldn't deliver), so I was allowed to go along provided I stayed in the car. It was nice to see the countryside again and how much it had changed, lambs and calves in the fields and so many flowers in the hedgerows. However I did notice that nobody was wearing masks and many people were less that 2 metres apart. So we will continue to have our shopping delivered for the foreseeable future, at least until Covid fatalities are down to double figures (preferably single) nationwide.

Grandmafrench Thu 14-May-20 13:57:05

Maybe every decent responsible person should just stop talking about masks .....and ifs and ands and options, and just put one on. Please.

All it takes is thinking about others and not yourself. It is other people who benefit from your wearing a mask, not you. You choosing to wear a mask keeps others safe. All the clinic, hospital, chemist, supermarket staff who wear masks do so to protect us - so why can't we care enough to return the favour?

If we all wear our masks, everyone benefits. It's not rocket science, just common sense and until people get used to the idea that life is not going to be quite as comfortable as it was, and staying safe can be hard work sometimes, this wretched Virus will never be beaten.

And, for what it's worth : Anti-bac wipes and sprays etc., are just that, Anti- bacterial and won't work on a virus. Covid 19 is a virus, so needs soap and bleach to kill it on surfaces - or a spray that confirms that it fights the virus.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 14-May-20 13:58:13

By all means wear a mask and gloves if they make you feel more confident about going out.

Just remember that the mask, unless it has a filter, is protecting people you meet from your germs, rather than you from theirs.

By using mask and gloves, you are signalling that you are trying hard not to run risk of infection.

What could be wrong with that?

You may not actually need them, but better safe than sorry.

Pammie46 Thu 14-May-20 15:03:40

Really prefer to do my own shopping. Take it in turns to do Tesco, Sainsburys and Morrisons. Supermarkets much quieter now. Nice to be able to browse. Not really frightened and don’t do mask or gloves. Think all our lives will be changed when this is over

Joesoap Thu 14-May-20 15:22:07

I am inmy late seventies and healthy as far as I know. I went shopping this morning, hardly anyone about, just inside the shop there were packets of disposable gloves, what a good idea, once out of the shop I threw them away, once in my car I used the pump hand sanitiser on my hands and on the door handle where I closed the door, well home, straight into the bathroom to wash properly, 20 seconds, job done.

Greciangirl Thu 14-May-20 15:34:41

I am 74 years old and now go once a week to my small,local co op shop. I don’t wear a mask, but I do use plastic gloves.

Only a few allowed in the shop and a shop assistant monitoring the door all day.

I feel relatively safe, as it’s never crowded, but we come straight home in the car, no lingering. I must admit I can’t wait to get back home. It’s a relief when it’s done.
We can’t stay cooped up forever. But obviously stay as safe as is reasonable. FOGO is becoming a phobia.

Samaromo Thu 14-May-20 15:35:52

I work in a supermarket and have been there today. The vast majority of shoppers wear neither gloves or mask. Approximately a third were wearing masks today but very few are wearing gloves. Very few staff are wearing any kind of protection although we have been told we can wear mask and/or gloves if we wish. However I have found that those customers wearing masks often think they are invincible and will come right up to you to make a query so I'm not sure that masks are such a great idea as they seem to give people a false sense of security. I have seen plenty of people over 70 still doing their own shopping without any sort of protection. The supermarket I work at is quite busy and usually has a long queue to enter . If it's a large supermarket you want to visit I suggest you try and time your shopping about 6pm. It is usually really quiet then. Alternatively find a small supermarket for your first trip out. Our local co op which is quite a decent size very rarely has a queue outside even though they are limiting the number of customers allowed.

Elrel Thu 14-May-20 15:38:14

I’m 80 with heart disease. I’d been in since 13th March, I decided to self isolate for 2 weeks to make sure I hadn’t picked up the virus as various meetings and events. Yeah, right!
So I was in for 2 months. A few days ago, very nervous, I decided to go to the nearest postbox. Few people about, pleasant brief distanced chats with them, no one I knew.
Today a nurse from the health centre phoned to check on me, I have an early appointment to have blood taken and my BP checked in mid-June.
Since I have to pass my nearest shop, Tesco Express, to get to the Health Centre I shall try shopping for the first time then! I live alone, don’t drive and am managing all right with online orders and also get offers from neighbours. I’ve only asked one for a loaf so far.
Missing family of course but coping fine. Good wishes to you all.

Alishka Thu 14-May-20 15:57:54

I placed my second home delivery order at Iceland today, to be delivered tomorrow. So tomorrow I shall eat olives,shellfish salads and stuffed peppers, washed down with a glass of white wine.smile
My lovely cleaner has agreed to come round and clean for me.
Another friend has lent me 200.00 against a cheque I gave her. My cash was down to 79pshock
It's a lovely sunny afternoon so I'm going to sit out on my SW-facing terrace, read...and possibly snooze.
All in all,could be worsegrin

MissAdventure Thu 14-May-20 16:06:27

79p?
You like to live dangerously! smile

Daftbag1 Thu 14-May-20 17:11:32

The masks and other face coverings recommended by the government are used as a slight protection for the wearer but much greater protection for others. Not everyone has symptoms of this dreadful virus, but may sneeze or cough etc., if wearing a c covering the germs will to a great extent be prevented from getting into the air.

So we are wearing them!

PamelaJ1 Thu 14-May-20 17:31:03

Apparently I may be able to work again in July. To that end I thought I’d better top up my disposables. I gave two boxes of gloves to a care worker that I know so I’m a bit low.

I’ve managed to buy one box of gloves but the medical face masks have gone up enormously, 4x what I last paid so I bought a couple of the plastic full face ones instead.

I will be wearing one of these to do my shopping next week, they are washable so I will be able to use them again and again. I have a feeling that it will be very difficult to touch my face with it on.

One of my relatives has links with the public health department and she told us earlier today that picking up the virus whilst shopping was extremely rare. That reassured us, although she did suggest that we kept on being careful and we will.

GrauntyHelen Thu 14-May-20 17:39:23

@PamelaJ1 -You don't think you have COVID well let's hope you don't have it and are asymptomatic as you are selfishly refusing to reduce the risk to others !