Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The best and the worst so far

(105 Posts)
gillybob Thu 14-May-20 22:52:42

Have you found a company who has excelled itself during the CV pandemic ? Have you found another who has let you down big style ?

I’ll start.

Asda let me down with my little granddaughters birthday present. They kept my money for almost 6 weeks then told me they couldn’t deliver the day before her birthday . angry

Ditto Sutton’s seeds. Took my money in March and delivered 3 dead lupins 7 weeks later . Don’t answer emails and their phones are cut off.

On the flip side Amazon delivered a little game to my older grandchildren for them to share the day after I ordered it.

Hats off to Morrison’s who always make me feel calm when I shop in store. No horrible arrows on the floor just sensible And well thought out barriers .

phoenix Thu 14-May-20 23:04:38

gillybob sorry to hear of your bad experiences, but also good to hear of the better ones. (Although I'm half way through writing a complaint to Morrison's regarding their online service angry)

merlotgran Thu 14-May-20 23:04:43

We've been very lucky with weekly food deliveries from Sainsbury's and everything else has been OK as well. Amazon has been a Godsend for sending birthday presents to the adult DGCs rather than a boring token.

DGS1's girlfriend had a birthday last week and the family clubbed together to buy her a 'book box' delivered from a local book shop. I'm not entirely sure what was in it but she messaged to say she was thrilled with it and it was nice to support a local business.

So no best and worst really. They've all been good.

JenniferEccles Thu 14-May-20 23:08:43

I’m surprised you didn’t mention a certain bank Gilly!

Did you see the Martin Lewis programme this evening?
He mentioned that he had heard from so many people like you who are getting nowhere with them.

gillybob Thu 14-May-20 23:13:50

It’s great to hear local companies going that extra mile . I love the sound of a book box merlot would be my idea of a perfect pressie.

I’ve hear a few bad reports about Morrison’s deliveries phoenix I know Harrigran had a very poor experience last week . Actually I was a bit cross with Morrison’s myself as I had £10 worth of their “and more” vouchers that had inky just gone out of date and I didn’t realise. They wouldn’t take them and even refused to allow me to donate them to their food bank trolley.

gillybob Thu 14-May-20 23:16:51

Oh don’t get me started with the morons that call themselves a bank JenniferEccles . Yes I heard Martin Lewis mention them. I actually got a direct message from him on Wednesday to say he was aware of the “issues” . Bluddy awful bank Barclays . Apparently they are offering £100 compensation to those effected by their failures. I would tell them where to stick it if I weren’t so desperate . grin

merlotgran Thu 14-May-20 23:18:49

I must find out a bit more about it, gilly. I had a message from DD to suggest we all club in. PayPal took care of the payment.

I don't know who chose the books but I suspect it was DGS.

52bright Fri 15-May-20 00:28:28

2 good ones Asda for click and collect once a fortnight with not trouble.
Moonpig for a range of individual greeting cards when I didn't have any in when I needed them.

GrannyLaine Fri 15-May-20 00:42:18

Very impressed with Home Bargains (only place near here where I can get plants at the moment) who were handing out free bottles of water to shoppers queueing outside on Saturday when it was hot. Small gesture, much appreciated

BBbevan Fri 15-May-20 05:43:29

No bad experiences so far. We had to wait a while for a delivery of wood from B&Q but everyone else has been great. Weekly delivery from Sainsburys and the driver always cheerful. Amazon and Moonpig for cards and presents. No problems at all

ladymuck Fri 15-May-20 07:07:30

I'm sorry to say that Ocado has lost my custom. Although I have been a customer of theirs for over 10 years and I'm in my 70s, I was told I wasn't a priority customer and couldn't even place an order.
Sainsburys, on the other hand, have sent regular e-mail updates on their status and I had no trouble at all getting my order delivered.

kittylester Fri 15-May-20 07:21:08

My only iffy experience has been trying to contact Sainsburys to change my password but getting it wrong 3 times was my fault.

I have had fabulous service from the local butcher, gift shop and flower shop who have all gone above and beyond.

I have sent small presents to dgc and DC and all have been delivered when they said they would be or before.

And Amazon have been a lifeline.

We struggled to get through to Barclays, gilly but they have been brilliant once we did.

I think we all feel for you in this dreadful predicament.

Furret Fri 15-May-20 07:32:40

We have a FB page called ‘******** We Deliver’ set up by some enterprising person in our little town. Small firms eg butchers, bakers, florists, grocers, fruit and veg, vintners, etc who are willing to deliver can advertise and customers can ask where something can be found.

For example DH had a birthday last week and we had a lovely afternoon tea delivered on tiered plates. Also a local florist was able to deliver a charming bouquet to a friend who her father to Covid19. We have had fruit and veg boxes delivered and someone locally was selling off her surplus vegetable seeding. Great community around here.

Best of all has been our milkman. Free-range eggs, Cornish butter, cheese, in addition to milk.

Grandma70s Fri 15-May-20 07:34:39

I had just one week when I couldn’t get a slot with Ocado. Otherwise they have been brilliant. There are very rarely any substitutions, and when there are they are sensible ones. Like ladymuck I have been a customer for over ten years.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 15-May-20 07:35:11

Amazon is my new best friend , seldom used it before lockdown (not a fan of overly large tax dodging companies) but they really have exceptional service, just delivered GDs birthday gift within 18 hours of ordering.

Local butchers and M & S online.

kittylester Fri 15-May-20 07:45:15

I should also mention M&S and John Lewis who have been good.

We could do with the flipping window cleaner coming back.

LullyDully Fri 15-May-20 07:57:03

Our window cleaner came last week. He had had CV but was back in business.The house looks a lot better.

JenniferEccles Fri 15-May-20 08:23:20

I think local shops have shone during this testing time.

I am planning to try to support them more even when we are back to some sort of normality.

pollyperkins Fri 15-May-20 08:41:27

Local shops have been amazing delivering to the door. Ive managed to get tesco deliveries but not waitrose (even though Im a regular customer and well over 70 ) or Sainsbury’s as I haven’t had ‘the letter’. Amazon (esp Prime items ) have been great delivering birthday presents to family aa well as essentials to us promptly. Also Orchard cards which have delivered cards to me very promptly - we have a lot of family birthdays in April & May so I needed them!

Missfoodlove Fri 15-May-20 09:09:05

Positives first!!
Our local whole food shop, just fantastic.
Butchers as always great service we ring in an order collect no waiting.
Amazon, couldn’t have been better???.
Local pharmacy always go the extra mile.

Now the incompetents. ??.

Hermes delivery. Sent me a picture of my parcel in someone else’s porch.
More chance of tea with the Queen than speaking to a member of staff.

Our GP practice, incompetent, officious staff , patients are just a nuisance.

Fleetway travel, no communication and they are holding on to a lot of our money!

I do think there should be a special prize though for the morons that stand and queue but cannot stand on the sodding line.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 15-May-20 09:30:49

Can I add our GP practice which has been outstanding. I have had two chest infections (one with throat problem) and our Baby GC has also been very poorly (they had a phone consultation followed up by video call and immediately called into surgery for face to face appointment)

Boots and White Co. online, easy websites and quick deliveries.

BlueSky Fri 15-May-20 13:56:21

First class service from our small local chemist as usual, even under the exceptional circumstances.
Good service from GP with prompt call back phone consultation.
Iceland came up with the goods when all other options exhausted at the peak of the panic buying, and we are not even customers.
Amazon fast efficient delivery as always.
The girl who collects Hermes returns when we were unable to get to the local pick up shop.
Must have been lucky but can't think of any bad experiences.

Caro57 Sat 16-May-20 09:34:08

As an NHS worker I have the highest praise for Morrisons.

Postman, refuse man and courier deliveries are brilliant but i have struggled to get ~Hermes to collect a return so will have to take to a collection point

missdeke Sat 16-May-20 09:36:10

Tesco for their deliveries. I had 'the letter' but still couldn't get a delivery slot even though Tesco were supposed to have priority slots for us. I emailed the CEO of Tesco and the following day had a reply apologising, that I hadn't been on their list from the government but as I had informed them I had now been added. I've had no trouble getting a slot since.

Humbertbear Sat 16-May-20 09:46:33

If you live within the M25 Osolocal2U are wonderful. They deliver fruit, veg, dairy products, fresh pasta, bread,eggs and milk in cardboard trays so nothing is squashed. The quality is very good . We plan to continue using them after lockdown, if that ever comes