Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The best and the worst so far

(106 Posts)
gillybob Thu 14-May-20 22:52:42

Have you found a company who has excelled itself during the CV pandemic ? Have you found another who has let you down big style ?

I’ll start.

Asda let me down with my little granddaughters birthday present. They kept my money for almost 6 weeks then told me they couldn’t deliver the day before her birthday . angry

Ditto Sutton’s seeds. Took my money in March and delivered 3 dead lupins 7 weeks later . Don’t answer emails and their phones are cut off.

On the flip side Amazon delivered a little game to my older grandchildren for them to share the day after I ordered it.

Hats off to Morrison’s who always make me feel calm when I shop in store. No horrible arrows on the floor just sensible And well thought out barriers .

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-May-20 08:08:51

I might have known I’d get my come uppance after saying I’ve not had any problems. I ordered a weekly comic subscription over a week ago from WH Smith for two of the grandsons and just enquired as to how long it would be till they got the first issue.

8 to 10 weeks. shock

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-May-20 08:16:00

Oh, and I should allow a few extra days due to ongoing delays with their couriers. sad

Hetty58 Mon 18-May-20 08:17:55

Our local milkman (it's a woman, though) from Milk and More has reliably supplied basics throughout. They kept their existing customers and took on a limited number of new ones. Vegtoyourdoor (local) supplied lovely fresh fruit/veg boxes.

Sainsbury's have lost a lot of regular customers. They denied access to their regular online customers and concentrated on the shielded instead.

We, obviously, ordered elsewhere (Asda, Iceland, Waitrose and Tesco) and won't be returning when the shielded desert them.

Daftbag1 Mon 18-May-20 08:52:36

The best? Almost all local shops, have gone out of their way to make deliveries, except for our local greengrocers, they made the first delivery a box of fruit and veg for £20, & it was fantastic. Unfortunately only the first box. From then it was a disgraceful waste of money. The only description for the contents of future boxes was rotten or bendy.

Not impressed by Morrison's on line delivery service, they would deliver anything but nothing in stock. Everything said out of stock. Sainsbury not much good as we don't get the famous letter. Tesco has been brilliant.

And the neighbours are best of all. Everyone is out to help one another!

HayleyC Wed 20-May-20 16:25:59

An organisation doing wonderful things: Two Generations homeshare programme. They match young people with elderly people & after the various safety checks have been done (including COV-19 protocol!) the homeshare begins. The young person helps out by getting food shopping, picking up prescriptions & offering some vital company. It's incredible, so many young people have been coming forward in these difficult times smile Warms your cockles.

I wrote more about it here:

medium.com/@hayleycannoninfo/the-lives-of-isolated-elderly-people-can-be-transformed-through-homesharing-with-young-people-3c704bce7913

Hope some of you find this useful, or at the very least heart warming smile