Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Don't clap for us. You have stabbed us in the back

(91 Posts)
AGAA4 Sun 17-May-20 17:04:14

Nurses watching people die every day are appalled by the behaviour of the public especially on VE day when street parties in some parts became drunken free for alls with lines of people doing the conga. Some ended up in A&E

They say why applaud us when you are just adding to our workload.

GagaJo Sun 17-May-20 17:08:12

Couldn't agree more. I put a comment on my community FB page because I was disgusted with how many groups there were on VE day. There was a lot of abuse came in (clearly from the guilty) but some of the NHS staff in the area came on and said more or less what you've said AGAA4.

Teetime Sun 17-May-20 17:11:41

Nothing here- very quiet.

EllanVannin Sun 17-May-20 17:13:00

It was on the news before that alcohol admissions were down 60% since lockdown.
It just shows how unnecessary these admissions usually are when staff are already stretched with broken bones and other injuries.
I can't blame the nurses at all for feeling as they do.

EllanVannin Sun 17-May-20 17:14:38

There wasn't a peep round here----nor a flag.

60% is a high proportion of selfish beasts !

Sussexborn Sun 17-May-20 17:18:03

It’s frustrating that ignorant people think the rules don’t apply to them. If nothing else you would think they would be concerned about bringing the disease in to their own homes.

We came across two large groups of youths on the old railway footpath yesterday. Not so long ago the council were trying to encourage people to use it as the project had cost a fortune. Now it’s being used for “secret” gatherings. Nuisance as well as it’s only about a mile to the nearest post office but much further if you go along the roads.

Washerwoman Sun 17-May-20 17:27:41

This is how my DDs feel about some nearby neighbours to both of them. BbQs and people coming and going. Even a bouncy castle with several families involved would you believe until the police turned up.Those of you fortunate to live in an area where the residents are sensible and responsible are lucky. DD has been reduced to tears before some shifts with sheer frustration.

AGAA4 Sun 17-May-20 17:28:12

The police broke up a party of 75 people in Telford recently.

So sorry for the medical staff who have care for these people when they catch the coronavirus through their own stupidity.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 17-May-20 17:38:22

There was a protest in Hyde Park London yesterday by people against the lockdown and coronavirus 5G conspiracy idiots Piers Corbyn (Jeremy Corbyns brother) was arrested.

The Police were put at risk by these selfish idiots!!

Lucca Sun 17-May-20 17:50:29

My partner saw a group of about 16 30-40 year old sitting in the park together, no distancing. This morning I saw three dads standing close together watching six boys play football. This in my highly respectable Leafy town.

MayBee70 Sun 17-May-20 18:03:00

I don't clap. But I do everything I can to avoid catching the virus, both to safeguard myself and others. My neighbours, who do clap, currently have visitors [and not for the first time].

AGAA4 Sun 17-May-20 18:05:07

A nurse who was trying to comfort a patient dying alone from coronavirus could see from the window a large group of people in the park opposite sitting close together drinking.

Some of these people will be out on Thursday clapping.

What a bunch of hypocrites!

Loislovesstewie Sun 17-May-20 18:30:24

A bit of commonsense should be applied, sadly I have never understood why it is called 'common' because it's exactly the opposite. We are being asked to sit at home for a while; the weather isn't too bad, we can watch television, listen to music, read books, do DIY , phone family/friends . We don't have to leave our beds to go air raid shelters, or fire watch, or go without essentials and yet some are still moaning. I despair!

Alexa Sun 17-May-20 20:25:02

The people who don't keep their distance as described above are morally immature. I mean they are like children at a certain stage of moral development whose moral ability extends only to being seen to obey authority .

The government has not got the message over to these people because they understand only black and white rules, policing, and penalties.

AGAA4 Mon 18-May-20 14:56:04

Good to have all your thoughts on this. Thank you. If only everyone was like most GNs

maddyone Mon 18-May-20 15:04:10

My daughter and her husband, both doctors, hate the clapping.

Hetty58 Mon 18-May-20 15:07:50

Clapping does absolutely nothing useful at all.

AGAA4 Mon 18-May-20 15:14:10

If people really care about the NHS don't bother clapping just keep your distance from others.

pollyperkins Mon 18-May-20 15:22:56

Well in my village the VE day anniversary was nothing like that. Family groups sitting outside their houses at 4 pm drinking tea, eating cake (all prepared by themselves) chatting at a safe distance in the sunshine with neighbours. .There were a few flags and some bunting (people decorated their own houses) , some 1940s music, plus the last post (which people stood in silence for). All in all a lovely, safe, respectful occasion. We all went back inside at about 6 pm and by the next morning all the flags had gone.

GillT57 Mon 18-May-20 15:50:08

The clapping has started to become somewhat hypocritical to my mind. I have read many posts on FB from NHS staff who are irritated by it, it is as if people think that is all they have to do, once a week, a quick burst of applause in front of the neighbours and then continue to act selfishly for the rest of the week. It is even more hypocritical when we see Johnson et all clapping for those foreign born NHS staff who will now have to pay around £600 per family member to use the NHS they work in. The hero worship didn't last long did it?

pollyperkins Mon 18-May-20 16:49:03

Ive not observed any selfish behaviour hers. But its a very small community

janeainsworth Mon 18-May-20 16:51:48

It’s no longer a spontaneous gesture of appreciation, but a form of virtue signalling, with those who choose to not clap being made to feel guilty.

AGAA4 Mon 18-May-20 16:54:37

It has become a competition. Who can make the most noise

MayBee70 Mon 18-May-20 17:06:02

Good article by Caitlin Moan in Saturdays Times magazine about 'the clap'; can't do a link I'm afraid.

MayBee70 Mon 18-May-20 17:06:16

Moran.....